Japan-donated trains in good condition: SRT

webfact

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Unless someone remembers that Thailand and Japan (whilst both nominally "metre gauge") are not actually the same gauge they aren't going to get railed in the first place ???? 

Thailand is actually 1,000mm whereas Japan is Cape Gauge (1,067mm).

If you look at many of the (somewhat) preserved steam locos that were actually Japanese imports during the war they have been re-gauged by moving the wheel tyres inwards by an inch or so.

Great for tourists (and me) if they got the Burma railway thru Hellfire Pass up and running and used this rolling stock. Now that would be a train freaks adventure. Can't wait.

Thai government always thinking ahead. ????

Still thinking about the Beijing to Russia and Beijing to Tibet train trips I didn't do.

6 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Great for tourists (and me) if they got the Burma railway thru Hellfire Pass up and running and used this rolling stock. Now that would be a train freaks adventure. Can't wait.

Thai government always thinking ahead. ????

Still thinking about the Beijing to Russia and Beijing to Tibet train trips I didn't do.

They do have a steam powered train with old stock running from Kanchanaburi to Sai Yok where it is turned around and you come back. It's a great day out. Other than that the railway bed exists in places but the track is all gone.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Unless someone remembers that Thailand and Japan (whilst both nominally "metre gauge") are not actually the same gauge they aren't going to get railed in the first place ???? 

If you look at many of the (somewhat) preserved steam locos that were actually Japanese imports during the war they have been re-gauged by moving the wheel tyres inwards by an inch or so.

Perhaps that's why the refurbishment of the first donation that began in October 2018 is still not complete!

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

As the OZYs would say "She'll be right mate, no worries" or " If at first you don't succeed give up, go home and have a coldy (beer) "

16 minutes ago, digger70 said:

They aren't Loco's they are carriages. 

I would think they can hook them up to an Electric Loco as the carriages haven't got self propulsion.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has announced outcomes of the inspection of the 17 multiple unit diesel train carriages being donated by Japan, finding them all in good condition.

38 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

2.5 million baht per carriage 77k USD for shipping??? is that COD ?

I really can't make a comment on this but does anyone actually know real costs of something like this. I mean a train carriage obviously does not fit into a shipping container. So its odd size makes it a bit hard to transport. Before i cry corruption and so on id love to hear from some people in the know in the transport sector. If this includes some taxes too then maybe its a fair price. I have no clue but I doubt anyone has an idea about the real price.

I did find Crossy his remark useful about the fact that all trains need new wheels for the different gauge. I mean just imagine them being imported and then turning to dust because nobody wants to pay for that.

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has announced outcomes of the inspection of the 17 multiple unit diesel train carriages being donated by Japan, finding them all in good condition.

Like I said they are Carriages Not Loco's .

One can tow them with ones Ute if you like .

Edited by digger70
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1