Is a private car driving license legal to drive a 150 cc motorbike ?

finnsk

I get an offer on a 150 cc Honda Phantom, as I like as a start.

It was not my plan to get more motorbikes than the smaller 125 cc honda we have, and only use locally, and never get stopped. But I find out I like the motorbike driving, not fast driving more the driving on the small roads out in the nature. 

So then I will get away from our local area and then things must be legal to go on the big roads.

Now I only have the private car driving license, is that legal to drive a 150 cc motorbike ? 

6 minutes ago, johng said:

No, you need a motorcycle licence to drive one legally in Thailand.

Thanks using your time, I appreciate your answer.

I must have a talk with a training school, to find out if an old guy like me is able to pass the test.

Unlike in the UK where you only have one driving licence, and it shows all the classes of vehicle that you can drive. Here in Thailand the the car and motorbike licences are two separate ones. So you will need to apply for a motorbike licence. If you have an International Driving Permit you can use that to avoid some parts of the motorcycle tests for said licence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Unfortunately you will have to get a bike licence, do you have a full bike licence from your own country..?

Thanks Transam

No I do not have motor bike licence from my homecountry, but there you can drive a small bike on your car license, so I thought that could maybe be the same here.

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Unlike in the UK where you only have one driving licence, and it shows all the classes of vehicle that you can drive. Here in Thailand the the car and motorbike licences are two separate ones. So you will need to apply for a motorbike licence. If you have an International Driving Permit you can use that to avoid some parts of the motorcycle tests for said licence.

Thanks Phetphet

I converted my international driving permit to a private thai car driving license, 2 years ago, now its time to renew, so could be time to make a motorbike permit to, think best way to go on is to contact a training school.

6 minutes ago, finnsk said:

Thanks Transam

No I do not have motor bike licence from my homecountry, but there you can drive a small bike on your car license, so I thought that could maybe be the same here.

You will have to go through the bike test....????

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, finnsk said:

Thanks Phetphet

I converted my international driving permit to a private thai car driving license, 2 years ago, now its time to renew, so could be time to make a motorbike permit to, think best way to go on is to contact a training school.

If you are renewing a 2 year car licence, they should issue a new 5 year car licence.

56 minutes ago, finnsk said:

I must have a talk with a training school, to find out if an old guy like me is able to pass the test.

Much recommend as it might help you over the hurdle of theory (multiple choice) test.

Driving test is circling on the yard (traffic kindergarten) obeying some traffic signs.

Can you drive straight on a 15m long elevated strip of 30 cm width? :smile:

Because this is the hardest part.

Circling around some pylons is quite a joke.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Much recommend as it might help you over the hurdle of theory (multiple choice) test.

Driving test is circling on the yard (traffic kindergarten) obeying some traffic signs.

Can you drive straight on a 15m long elevated strip of 30 cm width? :smile:

Circling around some pylons is quite a joke.

Plus, colour blind test, reaction test, and the other one, can't remember what they call it...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Plus, colour blind test, reaction test, and the other one, can't remember what they call it...

"Depth perception test" aligning some sticks.

Whether you can see a vehicle ahead is on your lane or the opposite.

Quite useful :tongue:

Yes I completely forgot the "physical tests".

Color blindness or eyesight problems might be an obstacle.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

"Depth perception test" aligning some sticks.

Whether you can see a vehicle ahead is on your lane or the opposite.

Quite useful :tongue:

Yes I completely forgot the "physical tests".

Color blindness or eyesight problems might be an obstacle.

I failed the aligning thing, no strings now, it's pressing buttons....????

2 hours ago, transam said:

You will have to go through the bike test....????

The actual  practical test is very easy..possibly the hardest part is driving along the long thin raised bit of concrete without falling off,stopping or putting foot down.

Much more difficult is the computerised theory test part  but only because some of the "correct" answers are not what you might expect...there are some online websites to  practise on getting some of those very strange "correct" answers  correct... I didn't do any study beforehand and so it took me 3 attempts to get pass the theory bit  :wacko:

4 minutes ago, johng said:

The actual  practical test is very easy..possibly the hardest part is driving along the long thin raised bit of concrete without falling off,stopping or putting foot down.

Much more difficult is the computerised theory test part  but only because some of the "correct" answers are not what you might expect...there are some online websites to  practise on getting some of those very strange "correct" answers  correct... I didn't do any study beforehand and so it took me 3 attempts to get pass the theory bit  :wacko:

One of the multiple choice questions on my motorbike license exam was "When you park a car, how far should the front wheel be away from the kerb?  15cm, 20cm or 25cm.

• Haha 1

When I first applied for a Thai drivers licence I was asked whether I wanted to include a motorbike on my car driver's licence , I didn't .

My guess is that you do have to have a motorcycle licence , whether attached to your car drivers licence or separately .

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

agree, I did not know driving on the line was what was needed ????????????

and don’t forget which foot to put on the street at the stop sign ????

5 minutes ago, Toscano said:

When I first applied for a Thai drivers licence I was asked whether I wanted to include a motorbike on my car driver's licence , I didn't .

My guess is that you do have to have a motorcycle licence , whether attached to your car drivers licence or separately .

They are two separate licences, you pay for them separately, and the paperwork is done separately....

• Like 1

This only helps if you're from the UK. I had the oldstyle red paper UK license whilst my pal had the new plastic one. I was automatically given a motorcycle license after only having to do the reaction/colour blind test. He had to go through the whole rigmarole to get his. I'd never ridden a bike in my life before! But the old UK license allows upto a certain cc. This they thought was good enough to give me a motorcycle license. Marvelous, we then rented a couple of Honda CB250cc and did the Meh Hong Song loop. But that got bikes out of my system...I'm happy now with my little Honda Click.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:22 PM, transam said:

They are two separate licences, you pay for them separately, and the paperwork is done separately....

Yes there are 2 licenses. However once you have both and if you got them at the same time then when it’s renewal time you just hand in 2 copies (original of some + a copy or 2 copies and original ) and both get processed at the same time, you get a photograph at the same time etc, so while technically true it seems as if it’s all done together.