Final day of Parliament session focuses on education

webfact

926f126f94755690f59c2d2ad0ff7a33_small.jpg

By Praphorn Praphornkul

BANGKOK (NNT) - Parliament spent the final day of its latest session discussing three draft laws to do with the development of education and related innovations, with all agreeing the focus should be on bettering the Thai education system.

The first of three bills was on promoting the utilization of research and innovation, having already passed its second and third readings. The objective of the legislation is to see research and innovation put to beneficial use and to support investment in state agencies conducting research pertinent to the nation’s economy.

The second bill was the national education act, which was outlined by Minister of Education Trinuch Thienthong. She stated that the thrust of the bill is to help students and teachers at all stages to achieve levels of expertise, and be able to apply their lessons to daily life. The act would modify teaching methodologies to better suit students and implement a proactive teaching approach focused on discourse. The management of schools would also be adapted to allow teachers to focus on classroom duties. Most present in Parliament agreed with the draft’s intent of enhancing important aspects of Thai education.

The final bill was a learning promotion act to improve access to learning for all, providing opportunities for people to better their skills and areas of expertise. It includes a section on providing schooling to school-age individuals without primary schooling.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

Few have been taught to any purpose who have not been their own teachers.

The key is to instill a desire to learn (or the necessity to learn) for your own future benefit.

Politicians, role models and parents have the responsibility to instill this desire.

All the teaching methodologies in the world won't help one iota without the desire to learn.

I am teacher I tell you, you listen, you copy and be quiet.. if not I hit you ...You don't ask questions, you have to fear me and everyone in school. Igf you do that you will pass with good grades although you never learned anything.. Now we going to change this????how??? Don Quichote....can't change a culture

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Parliament spent the final day of its latest session discussing three draft laws to do with the development of education and related innovations, with all agreeing the focus should be on bettering the Thai education system

What education system?

7 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Most Encouraging, at last some good action on Education Improvement.

Simply, the same old surface rhetoric splattered. 

Don't expect anything positive or progressive to come by it. 

• Like 2

For as long as I've been living here, they've come out with similar plans/incentives every year bar none, yet I haven't noticed one iota of an improvement in any students or schools. Is it just for show? , 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, djayz said:

For as long as I've been living here, they've come out with similar plans/incentives every year bar none, yet I haven't noticed one iota of an improvement in any students or schools. Is it just for show? , 

I pretend I am clever and am teaching you and you pretend you are learning. OK?

28 minutes ago, greeneking said:

I pretend I am clever and am teaching you and you pretend you are learning. OK?

More and more of the students now know that their education here isn't worth the paper the degrees are printed on. 

I'm not sure if this statement is correct but I believe that not a single person who has ruled the country via the monarchy or being  premier has been educated in Thailand? 

Which goes to show the lack of confidence in the education system. 

Rethink:- current PM cannot have possibly attended anything but a Thai school. Lol 

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Oh but something almost did improve I think around the early noughties. The education minister at the time was going to Japan on fact finding missions 4 or 5 times a year to see how he could improve the Thai education system.

He was even taking his family to help and assist him (at the tax payers expense of course), such was his determination to improving the education here.

I wonder what became of him.

????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

I'm not sure if this statement is correct but I believe that not a single person who has ruled the country via the monarchy or being  premier has been educated in Thailand? 

Which goes to show the lack of confidence in the education system. 

Rethink:- current PM cannot have possibly attended anything but a Thai school. Lol 

Not to be too pedantic, but you'll be required to perform some basic research and historical factual background before stating as such - regarding your first sentence. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The management of schools would also be adapted to allow teachers to focus on classroom duties.

If teacher never go in classroom! Many only stamp in and go back to do what ever they want, afternoon stamp out from school never even visited in classroom or see any student!

I  look forwards ( with excitement) at the new parade  ground so the kids  can march up and down better, sing the anthem better and hopefully learn to kowtow to their  fullest. 

Dont forget to dress  us  up as nurses and boyscouts also, very important for their "identification " for later roles in life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Oh but something almost did improve I think around the early noughties. The education minister at the time was going to Japan on fact finding missions 4 or 5 times a year to see how he could improve the Thai education system.

He was even taking his family to help and assist him (at the tax payers expense of course), such was his determination to improving the education here.

I wonder what became of him.

????

Due to his  basic  lack of geography he ended up in Siberia

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Few have been taught to any purpose who have not been their own teachers.

The key is to instill a desire to learn (or the necessity to learn) for your own future benefit.

Politicians, role models and parents have the responsibility to instill this desire.

All the teaching methodologies in the world won't help one iota without the desire to learn.

......and the encouragement to instill critical, question and challenging thought.

• Like 1

yes, zz & others: was naive here. only superficially interested in thai politics. more an “ action” observer guy……now understand this same rhetoric is trotted out every year…..with zero change in the schools…….

so similarly no real expectations of govt land sales any time soon to relieve Poverty here either…..right, “move along, nothing to see here”…...

7 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

"Urban myth", not true!

And you have visited how many government school!? I have visited over 30 (secondary). When wife was still teacher i spend lot of time in her school and see the real system! Many male teacher only visit school to sign in.  Happens every where! Wife ex is also teacher and he hang out in hes land when has had school day , he really is not in school to teach kids! 

Edited by 2 is 1

6 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

And you have visited how many government school!? I have visited over 30 (secondary). When wife was still teacher i spend lot of time in her school and see the real system! Many male teacher only visit school to sign in.  Happens every where! Wife ex is also teacher and he hang out in hes land when has had school day , he really is not in school to teach kids! 

I am a teacher.

The education system in Thailand is beset by many weaknesses, chief amongst which is overcentralised control of teachers, the curriculum and working hours by a beaurocracy who themselves have often no experience of teaching. Teachers are severely constrained in what they can teach, and how they can teach it. That is where the fundemental problem lies, coupled with a weakness in initial and in service training.

With those problems there is little point in inventing new ones, or even inflating a (possibly false) confusion from outside casual observation to the status of a major problem.

15 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  look forwards ( with excitement) at the new parade  ground so the kids  can march up and down better, sing the anthem better and hopefully learn to kowtow to their  fullest. 

Dont forget to dress  us  up as nurses and boyscouts also, very important for their "identification " for later roles in life.

It's all in the best interest and well being of the children.

Of course it is.

15 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I don't personally have a problem with boy scouting, although I would prefer much less emphasis on foot drill. The sight of our school registrar's bandy legs in khaki shorts is quite amusing, and some of the younger lady teachers look good in uniform. I always enjoy it when they queue up to have their berets shaped before the big parade As for the red cross cadet thing for the girls, gender stereotyping maybe, but nothing wrong with teaching first aid skills.

Edited by herfiehandbag