Still no barrier at deadly Chachoengsao rail crossing where 19 people died

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

It has been nearly a year since the disaster at a railway crossing in the Khlong Kwaeng Klan area of Chachoengsao in the central/east of Thailand on October 11th 2020.

A cargo train hit a bus carrying Buddhists who were attending a kathin ceremony (changing of cloths). Nineteen people died.

10pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook were contacted by the former phu yai ban (local official) who said that a simple religious ceremony attended by the local abbot would be held to mark the anniversary. 

Sanook discovered two things on their visit to the village and the deserted station.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY4OC84NDQ0NzkwLzQ0ODU3My5qcGc=.jpg

Firstly that a year on there was still no barrier to prevent a repeat of the devastating accident. There was just a large sign saying to take care.

Secondly they were regaled with many reports from the locals who reported that the station was haunted.

They never had such a problem before the accident but now they reported seeing a headless fat man on several occasions. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 2

Why on earth would anyone expect Thai authorities either police, railway, local township to act just because 19 people had died at a particular spot. It would be too damned sensible! 

Thing why don't they buy a bit of paint and paint stop and give way markings on the roads? Again, way too sensible.....and not enough money to be diverted into the pockets of the already obscenely wealthy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I can clearly see that they have lights at the crossing. Probably also have some kind of sound. How much do you need to stop? I mean if they do not see the lights, what makes them believe they would notice a barrier?

They will do as they have  always done, exactly as they want.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Thing why don't they buy a bit of paint and paint stop and give way markings on the roads? Again, way too sensible.....and not enough money to be diverted into the pockets of the already obscenely wealthy. 

They constructed concrete barriers on a 4 lane highway near me. No 'turn left' signs or 'no right turn' signs from any of the side roads. No one would take any notice anyways. A roundabout replaced 4 way traffic lights near me too. No one seems to have a clue how it works, no yield markings in the road, just lane markings no one obeys.

A proper crossing barrier is a little out of the thinking for places as above...No money, no thought, no care.

4 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Horrific and sad history..

But more sad to read a single sign that says “Be careful”, after a year of tragedy.

It appears to be a long, straight line, easy to spot a train coming. Telling people to be careful should be enough, but in brain-dead Thailand they need to have barriers as people can't understand that it's a good idea to look before crossing a railway line.

• Like 1