Court decision to push back marriage equality ruling goes viral, prompts criticism

webfact

te1.jpg

By Cod Satrusayang

The Constitutional Court on Tuesday said it would move its ruling on marriage equality to December prompting a viral hashtag and online criticism.

The ruling has been postponed multiple times by the Constitutional Court since it was due to make a decision on the case in 2017.

While the majority of parliament, including those on both sides of the aisle, support marriage equality, the court has so far been unwilling to rule in favour of same-sex marriage.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/33311/court-decision-to-push-back-marriage-equality-ruling-goes-viral-prompts-criticism/

ti.jpg
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I think that there is no objection against the same sex marriage, but they are not willing to announce that. I believe the Government doesn't want it yet and I think they will try first to pass the Civil Union Bill. After a few years the will revive it and than a original marriage will be possible.. The people in charge are too old. They don't see the opportunities that will bring a samesex marriage to Thailand. Think about all the weddings of foreigners with or without a Thai on a beach and a party. A economic booster as Thailand is known for its acceptance in gays.  But ........

As mentioned above, the Cicil Union is on the table...not the Marriage. And the latter will never be voted if the Civil Union is adopted. As for your remark regarding the economic perk I might say that this is a small niche and looking back to what has happened in the last couple 17 months, I do doubt that this is a valid point

6 hours ago, webfact said:

While the majority of parliament, including those on both sides of the aisle, support marriage equality, the court has so far been unwilling to rule in favour of same-sex marriage

Influences from above getting involved in a court decision?

• Like 1

I agree with the court. Marriage should be between a man and a woman. Given that you can live with whom you like there is no longer any need too be married. Personally I would rather the courts did away with the institution of marriage altogether. There is no need for marriage these days. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I compare this to Norway's decision to deport a kid who was legally adopted in Thailand to the way the Thai institutions attitude to gay marriage or civil union. Someone legally in a civil union, in their home country is not in a civil union here.

How about marriage. Is a marriage in Saudi Arabia recognised here...one in Mali, Seychelles, New Zealand...?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

If the law is passed would gay marriage then have the same visa rights as "normal" marriage extension?

My first thought also,  Can I divorce my wife and marry a thai man , then i would have no financial requirements for a visa? then i can be a thai citizen in 3 years ? 

4 hours ago, thaitom said:

My first thought also,  Can I divorce my wife and marry a thai man , then i would have no financial requirements for a visa? then i can be a thai citizen in 3 years ? 

If you intend to marry for such reasons that is fraud. 

As far as immigration rules when Thailand legalizes same sex marriage or starts with a lesser civil union scheme its impossible to know yet.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2