Being scared to talk to other farang

georgegeorgia

On the original topic:  I always talk to foreigners when in bars and socializing; that's what I'm there for.  Thais too. (m/f/other).    Especially these days there are not that many people in the bars most of the time (some exceptions..) so then I say hi.   I do steer clear of tedious topics and conversations.. like .. I'm not going out to discuss US politics, crypto currency or Covid with someone who didn't spent a day in med school.   But all other topics are cool.

A random person in the street or the supermarket though.. probably not when in a place like Chiang Mai that has tons of foreigners. But if it's seriously off the beaten track then I might say hello.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

On the original topic:  I always talk to foreigners when in bars and socializing; that's what I'm there for.  Thais too. (m/f/other).    Especially these days there are not that many people in the bars most of the time (some exceptions..) so then I say hi.   I do steer clear of tedious topics and conversations.. like .. I'm not going out to discuss US politics, crypto currency or Covid with someone who didn't spent a day in med school.   But all other topics are cool.

A random person in the street or the supermarket though.. probably not when in a place like Chiang Mai that has tons of foreigners. But if it's seriously off the beaten track then I might say hello.

Best post so far . A very normal approach . The way I see it , as I’m considered a younger guy (40) when traveling around Thailand I may be the only foreign guy some of these older guys see for a period of time . So yes I say hello and want nothing in return other then a hello back . I do the same here when I knock on my elderly Neighbours door to see how they are. I think we should all make a point of looking out for each other as I know for sure the Thais do for their elderly . 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not true, they followed the little lady to her village. Wasn't their choice. And now for many it's too late.

Fair enough, in which case they are depressed, so their unwillingness to converse with strangers is not strange at all... 

• Haha 2

40+ years ago at MIL's house, the kids spotted a young farang couple walking down in the nearly dry Loei riverbed.  I hailed them and they came up to the house.  Irish couple touring off the beaten path.  We had a nice chat and MIL even fed them dinner.  There was only a handful of foreigners living in Mueang Loei at that time and we all knew each other. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't answer as I've always avoided malls, they didn't really have them in England.

And Thailand is essentially 100 shops selling exactly the same products, so no reason to go.

I went to Central Airport mall in Chiang Mai as had DDG burds walking around, a very cute waitress in Swensons, a great food court and cinemas. Never bought much in the shops, but I did buy salapows in the Thai food court in the basement as cheap there, and any thing on special in the supermarket if i wanted to eat it. They had a pharmacy there with good deals on meds I wanted.

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

40+ years ago at MIL's house, the kids spotted a young farang couple walking down in the nearly dry Loei riverbed.  I hailed them and they came up to the house.  Irish couple touring off the beaten path.  We had a nice chat and MIL even fed them dinner.  There was only a handful of foreigners living in Mueang Loei at that time and we all knew each other. 

Loei backwater is nice. 

Still, one of a handful of provinces that has a very very small Farang presence - and better for it.

On 10/1/2021 at 1:10 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I recall once walking with a newly arrived friend in Pattaya and we are walking in East Pattaya and I'm buying a coconut he is standing on the street a taxi pulls up and the farang passenger is seen talking to him my stupid friend is ignoring him before it drives off...I asked him what was going on..."oh he was pretending to ask for directions to a hotel...but probably wanted money ...I read it on the internet .. don't talk to stranger farangs !!

I wouldn't talk to farangs in Pattaya, they all want sex. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

'Afraid' is the wrong word. It's more of an annoyance. I'm not afraid of mosquitos, but they are annoying when buzzing in my ear. Similar to the annoyance of some boring stranger droning on about himself. So I prefer to avoid them.

The avoidance of their company is preferable as you know what they're about - nothing special. 

I, too, couldn't be bothered. Less of a trend, but an intuitive character trait. 

• Like 1

This fear only exists on this forum. It's promulgated by people that are damaged, have never been to Thailand or just timid, sheltered people. Some inadequates fear strangers, eye contact, proximity etc and need psychiatric help. Living in a foreign country like Thailand they can avoid dealing with their problems as they are never 'sociably accountable'

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

If you are an anti social hermit with no social skills.

There are the locals to interact with.

They don't bite. 

And much much more engaging than Farang. 

Anti social hermit with no social skills defined as not wishing to have anything to do with Farang. 

Indeed.

Whimsical.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

This fear only exists on this forum. It's promulgated by people that are damaged, have never been to Thailand or just timid, sheltered people. Some inadequates fear strangers, eye contact, proximity etc and need psychiatric help. Living in a foreign country like Thailand they can avoid dealing with their problems as they are never 'sociably accountable'

Or just prefer not to talk to strangers , if they are lonely and want someone to talk to , they would just have to go and find some other lonely people to talk to . 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Or just prefer not to talk to strangers , if they are lonely and want someone to talk to , they would just have to go and find some other lonely people to talk to . 

A way to meet interesting farang is to go an AA meeting and pretend you are an alcoholic, never a dull moment. I've known many in Isarn to do this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

About 90 % of felangs who have come and spoken to me, want something .

Drink in their bar, eat in their GF's restaurant , follow them on Youtube , invest in a quick money making scheme  , buy something , or trying to find our how I earn an income so they can do likewise , or they need a few hundred Baht until they cheque arrives in four days time , "I'll be getting $2000 next week  and I will be spending it all on buying my friends beer ".

Very rarely do strangers just want a social chat , they just want to earn 

• Like 1

Invariably, or almost invariably, when a farang talks to another farang, the conversation will quickly drift to several non-interesting topics, such as...

"Thai people can't drive cars as well as we can."

And, after this starter, one will hear a litany of similar complaints.

Who needs it?

And, they wonder why farang have such a difficult time assimilating.

But, it is not just the farang. Some Chinese, too, complain about many things, here in Thailand.

Pick and choose your farang friends, wisely, in order to avoid listening to neverending talk about so-called bad Thai drivers, I guess.

(In fact, Thai drivers are quite good. Not joking, here.)