Being scared to talk to other farang

georgegeorgia

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

About 90 % of felangs who have come and spoken to me, want something .

Drink in their bar, eat in their GF's restaurant , follow them on Youtube , invest in a quick money making scheme  , buy something , or trying to find our how I earn an income so they can do likewise , or they need a few hundred Baht until they cheque arrives in four days time , "I'll be getting $2000 next week  and I will be spending it all on buying my friends beer ".

Very rarely do strangers just want a social chat , they just want to earn 

has this actually happened to you? i never had it happen,maybe i dont look approachable ?

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:10 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I recall once walking with a newly arrived friend in Pattaya and we are walking in East Pattaya and I'm buying a coconut

OP  Pattaya is bad enough, add dirtbags and what did you expect?! The solution is as simple as a move. Most normal people refuse to live in a squirrel cage, BTW.

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...
17 hours ago, kpmsprtd said:

Back then we always greeted other foreigners we happened across in Korea, Japan, and the Philippines. We definitely acknowledged each other's presence. It would have felt completely weird not to.

I could relate to that if seeing another foreigner was a novelty. But when they are a dime a dozen it seems like going overboard to me. Reminds me of back in the US when I used to drive an old International Scout, a bit of a novelty. Anybody else driving a Scout always waved to me. My second vehicle was a motorcycle, and 90% of other motorcycle riders would wave, getting on my nerves after a while. Interestingly (not really), when driving my Scout no motorcyclists ever waved. When riding my bike, no Scout drivers ever waved.

I always acknowledge other farangs when walking in my neighborhood in upper Sukhumvit. They probably live here and its good to be friendly. But if I'm walking around Nana, I'm not going to acknowledge every tourist I see. But if they stop and ask me for directions, I'm always glad to help.

Paul Laew

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 11:13 PM, eliassfeir said:

I know it’s not very related to this topic, but I am of the opinion that prostitution should be something a girl chooses because she freely wants to, provided she has other options… In the case of Thailand, many girls are forced into the job, not particularly by anobody, but by the conditions. It’s either prostitution or poverty and living in the streets. 

You are new in Thailand, are you?

If you did know a bit more about the country, you would know that -at least pre covid - anyone who wanted a job could get one. The factories urgently wanted workers.

The point is, a girl in Pattaya or Bangkok can earn much more when working in a bar. It's in most cases their own choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kpmsprtd said:

Recently retired in Sacramento, California, where we're a fairly friendly bunch. Lots of travelling and living abroad in Asia pre-Internet. Back then we always greeted other foreigners we happened across in Korea, Japan, and the Philippines. We definitely acknowledged each other's presence. It would have felt completely weird not to.

I am not making any judgement regarding good/bad or right/wrong, but I can report that the blanking you guys do of each other here feels weird AF, at least upon initial arrival in country. Especially when it's old guys blanking other old guys. I don't expect anything from the young folks lost in their smartphones, But old guys? The usual problem with old guys is that we talk to everybody and you can't shut us up. 

No need to worry about me. Now that I know the unwritten rule "Don't say hello or speak to another foreigner if you don't already know them," I will comply--here in Thailand. You are safe in your bubble.

There's some right weirdos living here, you don't really want the local looney as your best mate do you ? 

I don't make friends easily & that has saved me from having idiots for friends.

I get to know people slowly and from as many sources as possible before I actually commit myself to a friendship, and I have 100's of friends

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

There's some right weirdos living here, you don't really want the local looney as your best mate do you ? 

I don't make friends easily & that has saved me from having idiots for friends.

I get to know people slowly and from as many sources as possible before I actually commit myself to a friendship, and I have 100's of friends

We're talking a head nod, a grunt that sounds like hey. I'm not going to give a head nod because I want a friend. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 8:31 PM, georgegeorgia said:

has this actually happened to you? i never had it happen,maybe i dont look approachable ?

I once had a very interesting conversation with a farang outside the World Trade Center in Bkk ( it was a while ago ) and he took a long while to get around to it, but in the end he did ask me for money.

I twigged he might not be completely with it when he claimed to be the reincarnation of the Dali Llama, despite the Dali Llama being alive in India!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A thread based on a false assumption. Why would anybody fear white  westerners?

For the very good reason that some are violent nutters. I had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to one in my favourite Walking Street bar. Soon as he went to the loo I paid and escaped.

I also was seated next to one on a plane leaving Thailand, and had to ask to be seated elsewhere.

Happily, such occurances have been rare related to Thailand.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 10:13 PM, eliassfeir said:

In the case of Thailand, many girls are forced into the job, not particularly by anobody, but by the conditions. It’s either prostitution or poverty and living in the streets.

There may be a small element of that but IME it's prostitution or a dead-end job working in a factory/farm. Granted, not a great choice I suppose but shagging a farang for an hour at 1000 a pop means she's earning considerably more than minimum wage.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 1:11 PM, kpmsprtd said:

Recently retired in Sacramento, California, where we're a fairly friendly bunch. Lots of travelling and living abroad in Asia pre-Internet. Back then we always greeted other foreigners we happened across in Korea, Japan, and the Philippines. We definitely acknowledged each other's presence. It would have felt completely weird not to.

I am not making any judgement regarding good/bad or right/wrong, but I can report that the blanking you guys do of each other here feels weird AF, at least upon initial arrival in country. Especially when it's old guys blanking other old guys. I don't expect anything from the young folks lost in their smartphones, But old guys? The usual problem with old guys is that we talk to everybody and you can't shut us up. 

No need to worry about me. Now that I know the unwritten rule "Don't say hello or speak to another foreigner if you don't already know them," I will comply--here in Thailand. You are safe in your bubble.

I reguarly travel to the US for business and I'm surprised at how extroverted you are (in general) compared to us Brits - We barely acknowledge strangers in our own country let alone Thailand. The unwritten rule on the London Underground is don't make eye contact with anyone ????

Bit more friendlier up north though....

• Haha 1

No point in talking to other farang. 

If a farang greets me, I may nod at most. But I generally prefer to ignore their existence. There’s 2 farangs at our condo, and upon ignoring their existence a couple of times, they too have learned to ignore my existence even when it’s both of us in the elevator! Wonderful! 

We all know the kind of farangs Thailand tends to attract, same kind which are plentiful on this forum (hence why this comment will be disliked). 

Anyway, it’s just not worth the hassle. Too busy with my own life and problems of my own as to run the risk of making friends with a sexpat, or similar sort of scum.

Edited by alextrat1966
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I reguarly travel to the US for business and I'm surprised at how extroverted you are (in general) compared to us Brits - We barely acknowledge strangers in our own country let alone Thailand. The unwritten rule on the London Underground is don't make eye contact with anyone ????

Bit more friendlier up north though....

Depends on where you are in America. I live in the NW and they make us brits seem outgoing . A lot of farangs in Thailand cant bear the thought that they are not the only gay in  the village so tend to ignore other foreigners so they don't lose their perceived uniqueness.  

Edited by chrisandsu
Added
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

No point in talking to other farang. 

If a farang greets me, I may nod at most. But I generally prefer to ignore their existence. There’s 2 farangs at our condo, and upon ignoring their existence a couple of times, they too have learned to ignore my existence even when it’s both of us in the elevator! Wonderful! 

We all know the kind of farangs Thailand tends to attract, same kind which are plentiful on this forum (hence why this comment will be disliked). 

Anyway, it’s just not worth the hassle. Too busy with my own life and problems of my own as to run the risk of making friends with a sexpat, or similar sort of scum.

Not much wrong with a sexpat, I agree with you on ‘scum’ though and the rest of your post

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 8:35 PM, BangkokReady said:

Like you're mere presence is diluting their "specialness". Then there are those that aggressively gatekeep Thailand and want to be the most Thai or whatever.

There is a lot of truth in your chosen words. I've run across these same types and yes, they are odd.

• Like 1

Wouldn't say scared, but not looking for any friends.  I'll acknowledge eye contact / long stares with a nod, if they aren't too weird.  Return a greeting, but that's about it. 

I don't talk to strangers without a reason, anywhere. I find folks that only seem to want to talk to 'their own kind' a bit racist.  I don't have any kindred bond with them, simply because they are non-Thai.

Find it kind of weird actually.

• Like 2