Large haul of guns seized, 51 people arrested in nationwide crackdown on illegal firearms

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-47.jpg

Police have seized more than 300 guns, over 3,500 rounds of ammunition of various calibres and arrested 51 suspects in nationwide crackdown of illegal firearms.

The seized firearms, many of them handguns and some military weapons, were displayed to the media at the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB).

CIB Commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Jirapob Phuridet said today (Friday) that the crackdown was prompted by a spike in crime involving the use of firearms, adding that the police operation targeted venues suspected of producing illegal weapons and the online trade in illegal firearms.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/large-haul-of-guns-seized-51-people-arrested-in-nationwide-crackdown-on-illegal-firearms/

Logo-top-.png

Good to see them seizing some real weapons. There've been several cases recently of big 'gun busts' but the weapons were all BB guns (some brave souls here convert them to live fire but I think they'd be more dangerous to the user than anyone else). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Don't worry....there are an estimated 10 million unregistered weapons in Thailand....300 is just a pr stunt

Those in power should be a bit worried. With the number of firearms in the country, illegal or otherwise, Joe Public would be a severe threat to any government in an uprising. Plastic water bottles and ping pong bombs would be on the back burner if things got serious.????

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Lots of guns, very little ammo.  I like to have a few hundred rounds per gun, depending on caliber.

Walmart at a guess. 

Don't think Tesco has much variety.

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

How many of these hand guns are ex police firearms left with the owners after police supplied them with new Sauer automatics. The police should have purchased all officers firearms back when they supplied them with new pistols.

Well thats the problem they don't supply them the police have to buy them. Just as they bought their original service pistol ....now what could I sell to buy a new sig now I don't need my old S&W .38 hmmmmmm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Saw this on the news this morning, and was quite impressed with the caliber of guns taken.  Looks like someone could have had their own paramilitary group with the large caliber firepower they had seized.

Large calibre? I see no 50 cals.....

11 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Lots of guns, very little ammo.  I like to have a few hundred rounds per gun, depending on caliber.

I like a society which doesn't want/need any guns, therefore any ammunition.

I saw a lot of people killed and maimed and other damage caused done by guns in the Vietnam war, happy to never see guns ever again. 

And I don't buy the 'argument' that it's not the guns it's the owners.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

.......the seized guns will be forensically tested to find out any are linked to criminal activity.

Since they have already been handled by the RTP masses that's a given.....????

It means they will match bullets fired in a forensic test to see if they match other exemplars on file, such as bullets removed from victims and found embedded in vehicles....

4 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Zalada and delivered by Ali Express

You mean Lazada?

If so then yes. Police should definitely take a look there. Plenty to catch.

If you search on Lazada for gun accessories or army clothes or something related that a gun lover would like, you can sometimes see in the reviews of the products probably hundreds of photos of Thai gun lovers, most are probably perfectly legal and sane, but definitely not everyone. I`ve seen people post pictures of themselves dressed up in militia clothes with machine guns as if they were on their way to Afghanistan. I`ve even seen a guy posting along with his review a photo of the product next to himself dressed up in full gear in a room filled with many dozens advanced tactical machine guns, police-like submachine guns, hand grenades, hand guns and whatnot. Enough for a terrorist cell to make mayhem in any city. It`s ridiculous. No one need or should have that in their possession.