Mobile home or mobile house i.e. container house.

Speedo1968

Mobile home or Motor home?  Big difference.  If mobile home they have what they call knockdown homes here.  I have seen some Mercedes Motor homes for sale here online.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

Mobile home -   you mean a Winnebago or similar, there are a couple of 5th wheelers I have seen north of Bangkok, but there are more smaller drive and camp versions around. Not big in Thailand as hotels are cheap.

Knockdown home -  very prevalent in Thailand,  gets transported to your land on a truck.

Container house is not mobile -  several Thai companies make, however costs more than mobile homes and very hot in summer months so thermal ventilation and air-conditioning is a big factor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

There's some incredible homes made from shipping containers to be seen online.....A lot of ingenuity with beautiful results.....

However...

They seem to be in 4 season climate areas....

I think, in Thailand, it would be like trying to cool an oven....Thin steal walls on all sides in a country that is seldom ever cool....

It's doable if non chemically contaminated containers can be found....

I'm not sure how practical the result would be.....

A metal box, or shipping container would be expensive to keep cool.

"The Pros and Cons of Building with Shipping Containers"

http://www.aadhan.org/blog/2016/7/2/pro-and-cons-container-architecture

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Mobile home or Motor home?  Big difference.  If mobile home they have what they call knockdown homes here.  I have seen some Mercedes Motor homes for sale here online.

Mobile home / house, not motor home.
I know they have modified containers and there is a company here with UK expat who makes / is about to make a towable house, just wondered what if anything was available / tried and tested.

I have a place in mind to "park" the house with and escape rod if there were flooding.
Note I have worked lived here for more than 20 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Mobile home -   you mean a Winnebago or similar, there are a couple of 5th wheelers I have seen north of Bangkok, but there are more smaller drive and camp versions around. Not big in Thailand as hotels are cheap.

Knockdown home -  very prevalent in Thailand,  gets transported to your land on a truck.

Container house is not mobile -  several Thai companies make, however costs more than mobile homes and very hot in summer months so thermal ventilation and air-conditioning is a big factor. 

Many thanks for the different types of "home", no not a Winnebago, have seen knockdown houses locally.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Anyone have experience of living in one of these in Thailand ?

They are called - Shipping Containers.  They cost too much now.  Give it about 5 years and they'll be selling for pennies on the dollar.

• Haha 1

A local restaurant in our small town is made of containers seems to work good, Google container kings thailand they explain comparisons in standards build and containers here in Thailand ..

It’s a good read and should help in your decision..... kind of a trade off on both.. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

That accom. type is not really “living” , it’s more like  “surviving”.

better than being a cave-dwelling hermit, but hardly the idyllic tropical life we came here for, is it ? looks decidely unpleasant.

I’ll stay with my seaview pool villa…….

show us your house ? I want to laugh !

• Sad 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:31 AM, brianthainess said:

Cheaper to build a concrete home than covert a container. For mobile I'd buy an old bus and convert it, even better if you could get hold of a 'tall transit bus ' cheap.

Yes a container home is expensive, however the land I am looking at does flood sometimes and there there is an opportunity to "move house" to another area should the need arise.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:48 PM, DJ54 said:

A local restaurant in our small town is made of containers seems to work good, Google container kings thailand they explain comparisons in standards build and containers here in Thailand ..

It’s a good read and should help in your decision..... kind of a trade off on both.. 

Thanks for the link