New vaccine combo injects hope for Thailand’s battle against COVID-19

webfact

COVID-vaccine-cocktail_web.jpg

A medical staff member prepares a syringe with a vial of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine at a vaccination center in Bangkok.(Photo by Thai PBS)

If you are hesitant about getting a Sinovac jab to protect yourself against COVID-19, here’s some good news – the government is preparing to offer new free alternatives.

The Public Health Ministry said last week that it was seeking official approval for the AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccine cocktail for people under the government’s free vaccination rollout.

The Thai government is currently offering three brands of COVID-19 vaccine – Sinovac, AstraZeneca and Pfizer. Early this year, most vaccinees were given two doses of Sinovac, though since then millions have received two doses of AstraZeneca. But faced with limited supply of AstraZeneca vaccine and growing complaints about Sinovac’s low efficacy, the government began rolling out the Sinovac-AstraZeneca cocktail in July. However, concern over the safety of this new combination has prompted many people to stay away from COVID-19 jabs altogether.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-vaccine-combo-injects-hope-for-thailands-battle-against-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 2

Had the AZ as first Pfizer as second combo, second shot last Sunday.

My request, after reading about Oxford study, granted by doc at Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen. Lucky with that.

"The Public Health Ministry said last week that it was seeking official approval for the AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccine cocktail for people under the government’s free vaccination rollout. "

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, matchar said:

How about just Pfizer without the dangerous AstraZeneca for younger people?

Northern Europe has just withdrawn the other mRNA vaccine from Moderna for use with under 30 y/o. You think Pfizer is safe? Think again.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The manufacturers can only provide guidance based on the data that they themselves have gathered. Since they have only researched their own vaccines they have no data on mixing them.

However many, many governments around the world (including Canada, the UK and most European countries) have looked at the studies done into heterologous prime-boost vaccine regimens and have authorised mixed vaccines.

The manufacturers recommendations are not based only on their own data, but all available pier reviewed  research available. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The manufacturers recommendations are not based only on their own data, but all available pier reviewed  research available. 

Yes thats how I understand it, this mix is also one that is allowed for entry to the UK as an approved vaccine combination. If I remember rightly Angela Merkel took this cocktail.

2 hours ago, MadMac said:

Northern Europe has just withdrawn the other mRNA vaccine from Moderna for use with under 30 y/o. You think Pfizer is safe? Think again.

They've withdrawn it because there are vaccines with somewhat lesser risk. But the risk of going unvaccinated still far outweighs the risks of being vaccinated for society as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Although there are some reports around worrying people.

The risk of developing inflammation of the heart muscle after receiving the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is very low, according to two large studies from Israel. The studies indicate that teenage boys and young men are most at risk of developing the condition, known as myocarditis.. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02740-y

Yes that's why I said it should be Pfizer only. The AstraZeneca vaccine is the one with the risk of dangerous blood clots, estimated to be around 1 in 50,000 for younger people. There is a reason most developed countries do not give AZ to under 40s.

3 hours ago, mahtin said:

It is not a cocktail, there is a delay of (in my case) 6 weeks between the 2 vaccines being administered.

Yes, calling it a cocktail is misleading. The first dose is long gone before the second is administered.

If I drank a shot of vodka today and then had a glass of soda six weeks later no one would say I drank a vodka & soda cocktail.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Yes, calling it a cocktail is misleading. The first dose is long gone before the second is administered.

If I drank a shot of vodka today and then had a glass of soda six weeks later no one would say I drank a vodka & soda cocktail.

And to say the results were not caused by the product of combining 2 differing vaccines would also be misleading. In this case the second 'shot' is working on top of the results caused by a different first shot. Point taken the 2 are not shaken together in a stainless shaker and then administered as one.

19 hours ago, mahtin said:

Had the AZ as first Pfizer as second combo, second shot last Sunday.

Is what you are saying your first jab was AZ and your second was Pfizer?  You threw me off with 'second combo'.

I read a while back that this would be the case for older people.  I get my second shot next Monday twelve weeks after the first jab (AZ).  Hopefully Pfizer.

23 hours ago, matchar said:

Yes that's why I said it should be Pfizer only. The AstraZeneca vaccine is the one with the risk of dangerous blood clots, estimated to be around 1 in 50,000 for younger people. There is a reason most developed countries do not give AZ to under 40s.

You're getting your adverse effects mixed up. The blood clots associated with the AZ vaccine are not linked to myocarditis and pericarditis. It's the mRNA vaccines that are implicated in those - and particularly in young men.

Heart inflammation in young men higher than expected after Pfizer, Moderna vaccines

23 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You're getting your adverse effects mixed up. The blood clots associated with the AZ vaccine are not linked to myocarditis and pericarditis. It's the mRNA vaccines that are implicated in those - and particularly in young men.

Heart inflammation in young men higher than expected after Pfizer, Moderna vaccines

You are the one who's mixed up. I didn't mention myocarditis and pericarditis. The fact is 18-40 year olds in Thailand are only offered some cocktail of AZ and AZ is the most dangerous one because of the risk of blood clots (especially in this age group) and this age group are also fairly low risk from covid-19. The risk from mRNA vaccines is a lot lower which is why most countries vaccinate under 40s with mRNA only and avoid AZ completely.

On 10/11/2021 at 8:07 AM, MadMac said:

Iceland restarted. There is no case of serious myocarditis. all vaccination caused cases healed without problem.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:09 PM, MadMac said:
On 10/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

The manufacturers can only provide guidance based on the data that they themselves have gathered.

Of course, Thai qualified politicans from the Anutin ministry certainly know more than the biggest vaccine manufacturers in the world ????

Typical of those unable to present a valid argument - you have cherry picked a partial quote... 

Here is the rest of the quote... 

On 10/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

However many, many governments around the world (including Canada, the UK and most European countries) have looked at the studies done into heterologous prime-boost vaccine regimens and have authorised mixed vaccines.

Many countries are adopting the ‘mix’ approach to vaccines as they have proven its effectiveness. 

For those who are using the word ‘Cocktail’ - its not a cocktail, its not taken at the same time. 

IF I have a Whiskey, and then drink a Vodka 4 weeks later, its not cocktail !!

On 10/13/2021 at 1:47 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Typical of those unable to present a valid argument - you have cherry picked a partial quote...

Here you go. Of course you are free to pump whatever <deleted> you like into your body. Or are you not that free if you hail from one of the western democracies.

• Confused 1

On 10/11/2021 at 1:07 PM, MadMac said:

They've withdrawn it from use because there are alternative vaccines that are somewhat safer in that regard. But the fact is they would be far better off taking Moderna then remaining unvaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1