Oil Price Hike and Baht Depreciation Worry Thai Government

snoop1130

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Today the Thai baht is sitting at $1 USD to 33.86 THB.  I found the attached link to be interesting with its long range forecast which is in sharp contrast to early BOT predictions.

https://longforecast.com/usd-to-bht-today-forecast

Although I like it, let's leave a screenshot and come back in a few years and check it out.

Screenshot_20211012-034324_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211012-034344_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

funny saw  diesel b7 at 30.5today

My Mrs was complaining how much it cost to fill the truck the other day maybe 35 baht/l but this was for the expensive V-Power stuff Shell offer. Had some issues with the cheapest stuff, as it appeared to have water in it!

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

My Mrs was complaining how much it cost to fill the truck the other day maybe 35 baht/l but this was for the expensive V-Power stuff Shell offer. Had some issues with the cheapest stuff, as it appeared to have water in it!

38+ Thb yesterday at Shell to fill the car with the top 95 brand.  Watching the news this morning Oil prices are heading upwards and with economies struggling this is just another blow to those who have less money from reduced hours or being unemployed.  Sure someone will be along and say they should be using public transport, walk, or ride a bike if they can not afford the fuel, but then how do they get to their jobs which are sometimes to far to walk, and prices for public transport have risen as well.

5 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

For any Thai people who work in factories making goods for export, for any Thai people who (used to be) working in the tourist industry, and for Thai people who rarely travel abroad and who ride a scooter to work, this is good news. 

But for the remaing 1% of the Thai population this is bad news.

How is it good news if fuel prices are rising?, do you mean they should be ok because they are working or because the Thai Government will subsidize the rise in price like they have before?

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

38+ Thb yesterday at Shell to fill the car with the top 95 brand.  Watching the news this morning Oil prices are heading upwards and with economies struggling this is just another blow to those who have less money from reduced hours or being unemployed.  Sure someone will be along and say they should be using public transport, walk, or ride a bike if they can not afford the fuel, but then how do they get to their jobs which are sometimes to far to walk, and prices for public transport have risen as well.

Actually checked with Mrs and she said it was over 37 baht/l in Chachoengsao,  (For the Shell V-Power diesel)...and I thought the price had been frozen until the end of the year..... the world may be trying to get out of the covid economic slump straight into an energy crisis. Obviously jet-fuel is going to go up, along with flight tickets and hence limit tourism. 

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

..... because they don't own a car.  

Increasing fuel prices is one of those that impacts all, transporting of people and food and goods  all become more expensive and hits prices. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Increasing fuel prices is one of those that impacts all, transporting of people and food and goods  all become more expensive and hits prices. 

Yes, if you buy imported goods, or products that are transported across the country.

We tend to look at the world through our own lens - but the majority of people in Asia live a very different life to us ..... especially if we include India, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia as well as North Eastern and South Thailand.

Only the comparatively rich are significantly impacted by rising fuel prices and currency fluctuations - but many people living in Asia have no car, no AC and they eat local products. 

And those most impacted have major investments, consume imports and drive cars - and it's that viewpoint reflected in the OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

.  I found the attached link to be interesting with its long range forecast which is in sharp contrast to early BOT predictions.

And the ad shown at the top of the page is for astrology. Another waste of time. Predictions to 2025...?

I wonder, if I were to act upon this information, would I win or lose?  I think I will test the predictions, as I have time to do it. I do like to try to debunk false news, false predictions, or any predictions for that matter...

TAT tourist predictions, GDP predictions, currency exchange predictions, share price index predictions, good price predictions...

I can't recall predictions for lorry driver shortages in Europe. For China banning beef sales from UK again.

It's all very well capping prices at the pumps for a couple of weeks. It's what happens after the cap ends that's worrying. Rice harvesting in November. Lorries, harvesters, pick ups all run on diesel, which will be more expensive after the cap ends. More costs in a harvest that rarely makes money for the sustenance farmer.

soon be back to hand harvesting.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They rarely transport large bunches of bananas on their backs from the farms to central Bangkok....

True .... but in general the .middlemen do the transporting in the trucks, and they will be whining about the price of diesel. The small holding farmers are the ones who carry stuff on their backs, or on a 10 year old Rot Eatan that uses a litre of diesel per month.

But I get it ..... we are part of the 'haves' who are being impacted by currency falls and oil price rises, and it's difficult for us to see the world through the eyes of the 'have-nots"

• Like 1