Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is not a bad car if money is the primary consideration. But, most in the press seem to agree the performance in underwhelming. 

If the paper figures are dull enough on their own, it’s reflected as such when you get behind the wheel. To drive, the MG ZS can be expected to get you to your destination, but not promptly. In fact, it’s one of the gentlest accelerating cars that we’ve had a chance to drive in a while.

https://www.motorverso.com/portfolio-items/mg-zs-exclusive-review/

The 1.0T GDI engine is our preferred choice because the turbo gives stronger acceleration, while the 1.5 VTi-Tech feels underpowered, even when you floor it. You get a 5-speed manual gearbox with the 1.5VTi-Tech, which is pleasant due to the short throw between the gears. 

https://www.budgetandthebees.com/why-the-mg-zs-is-the-ultimate-family-suv/

From a standing start, the ZST has turbo lag and it’s not particularly responsive, as the engine struggled when we encountered steep ascents. It scrambles for traction when accelerating on any road surface, regardless of conditions. It’s fair to say this is not the car to choose if you fancy a back road blast, the ZST feels top heavy when cornering, with lots of lateral movement. An overly stiff suspension tune means the ride is harsh on any road surface, with every little bump and imperfection felt in the cabin. There’s no excuse for this sort of poor ride quality in an urban-focused compact SUV.

https://www.racv.com.au/royalauto/transport/reviews/mg-zst-essence-review.html

It should have the Morris badge and forget the GG's.....????......................????

I think Morris Oxford would be an ideal name....????

10 hours ago, transam said:

One of the most iconic cars in history is the Austin/Morris Mini, BMW bought the Rover group and only used the Mini/Cooper stuff, obviously to use that Mini fame to cash in on it...Same as the Chinese with MG..

You realise that Mini is now just the name...they didn't buy the original  Mini.

I don't see what point you are trying to make.

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

You realise that Mini is now just the name...they didn't buy the original  Mini.

Yep, another one (Brit) bit the dust a long time ago.

"Cars of the original Mini series called the "Mini Cooper", made by the British Motor Corporation and its successors 1961–1971, and 1990–2000"

Any car maker not use parts from China or Japan ?  Or simply sell a rebadged Chinese or Japanese car ?  Here's a few names drops:

Current and Defunct Global Car Manufacturer Joint Ventures in Mainland China

Volkswagen Auto Group (Germany)

FAW-VW (with FAW)

SAIC-VW (with SAIC)

Volkswagen Anhui (with JAC)

General Motors (USA)

SAIC-GM (with SAIC)

SAIC-GM-Wuling (with Wuling, SAIC)

(Defunct) FAW-GM (with FAW)

(Defunct) Jinbei GM (with Brilliance Auto Group) (Sold to SAIC)

Ford (USA)

Changan Ford (with Changan)

Jiangling Ford (with Jiangling Motors)

Stellantis (Global)

Dongfeng PSA (with Dongfeng)

GAC FCA (with GAC)

Changan PSA (with Changan) (Sold to Baoneng)

(Defunct) Guangzhou Peugeot (with GAC) (Stakes taken by Honda)

(Defunct) Nanjing Fiat (with Nanjing Auto (Merged to SAIC)

(Defunct) Beijing Jeep → Beijing DaimlerChrysler (taken by Daimler)

Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi (France, Japan)

GAC Mitsubishi (with GAC)

Renault Brilliance / Jinbei (with Brilliance Auto Group)

(Defunct) Dongfeng Renault (Defunct), Dongfeng Nissan Zhengzhou Nissan

(Defunct) Soueast (Mitsubishi, in conjunction with Taiwan's CMC. Foreign maker quit JV)

Toyota (Japan)

FAW Toyota (with FAW) (Consolidated from Tianjin and Sichuan JV)

GAC Toyota (with GAC)

(Defunct) FAW (Jilin) Daihatsu (with FAW)

Daimler (Germany)

Beijing Benz (with BAIC)

Fujian Benz (with BAIC, Fujian Motors)

Smart (with Geely)

Honda (Japan)

Dongfeng Honda (with Dongfeng)

Guangzhou Honda (with GAC)

Hyundai-Kia (South Korea)

Dongfeng Yueda Kia (with Dongfeng, in conjunction with Yueda Investments)

Beijing Hyundai (with BAIC)

Suzuki (Japan)

(Defunct) Changan Suzuki (with Changan)

Isuzu (Japan)

Jiangxi Isuzu (with Jiangling)

Qingling Motors (with Qingling)

Mazda (Japan)

Changan Mazda (with Changan)

(Defunct) Hainan Mazda (with FAW) (Remaining rights went to Haima, not associated to FAW)

(Defunct) FAW Car-Mazda (with FAW) (sold to Changan),

BMW (Germany)

BMW Brilliance (with Brilliance Auto Group)

Tata Group (India, UK)

Chery Jaguar Land Rover (with Chery)

Tesla is currently the only foreign car manufacturer that exclusively owns a factory in Mainland China, instead of having a joint venture with or being a subsidiary of any local auto company. Their sole factory is located in Shanghai.

OMG .. blasphemy ...  London Taxi Company (Zhejiang Geely Holding Group in 2013)

image.png.4d6e0f0018db645a08b934a91c6216aa.png

Edited by KhunLA

All vehicle makers want a slice of the huge Chinese market and because of the import tax situation most vehicle manufacturers opt for some form of local assembly. However Chinese law makes it extremely difficult to set up local manufacture without a Chinese partner.

On the subject of Chinese made parts you will find that almost every German car, wherever sold, will contain a few Chinese made components. It is said that its impossible to buy a car without at least one plastic moulding made in Ningbo 'plastic moulding capital of the world'.

Yesterday, here in the UK, I took delivery of a new and rather expensive top of the range Bosch fridge freezer. I was a bit surprised to see a 'Made in China' sticker on it. Does seem well made though.....

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

They use the Mini and Cooper name for their retro Mini.....As far as I know, nothing else from the Rover Group purchase...

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yep, another one (Brit) bit the dust a long time ago.

"Cars of the original Mini series called the "Mini Cooper", made by the British Motor Corporation and its successors 1961–1971, and 1990–2000"

Any car maker not use parts from China or Japan ?  Or simply sell a rebadged Chinese or Japanese car ?  Here's a few names drops:

Current and Defunct Global Car Manufacturer Joint Ventures in Mainland China

Volkswagen Auto Group (Germany)

FAW-VW (with FAW)

SAIC-VW (with SAIC)

Volkswagen Anhui (with JAC)

General Motors (USA)

SAIC-GM (with SAIC)

SAIC-GM-Wuling (with Wuling, SAIC)

(Defunct) FAW-GM (with FAW)

(Defunct) Jinbei GM (with Brilliance Auto Group) (Sold to SAIC)

Ford (USA)

Changan Ford (with Changan)

Jiangling Ford (with Jiangling Motors)

Stellantis (Global)

Dongfeng PSA (with Dongfeng)

GAC FCA (with GAC)

Changan PSA (with Changan) (Sold to Baoneng)

(Defunct) Guangzhou Peugeot (with GAC) (Stakes taken by Honda)

(Defunct) Nanjing Fiat (with Nanjing Auto (Merged to SAIC)

(Defunct) Beijing Jeep → Beijing DaimlerChrysler (taken by Daimler)

Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi (France, Japan)

GAC Mitsubishi (with GAC)

Renault Brilliance / Jinbei (with Brilliance Auto Group)

(Defunct) Dongfeng Renault (Defunct), Dongfeng Nissan Zhengzhou Nissan

(Defunct) Soueast (Mitsubishi, in conjunction with Taiwan's CMC. Foreign maker quit JV)

Toyota (Japan)

FAW Toyota (with FAW) (Consolidated from Tianjin and Sichuan JV)

GAC Toyota (with GAC)

(Defunct) FAW (Jilin) Daihatsu (with FAW)

Daimler (Germany)

Beijing Benz (with BAIC)

Fujian Benz (with BAIC, Fujian Motors)

Smart (with Geely)

Honda (Japan)

Dongfeng Honda (with Dongfeng)

Guangzhou Honda (with GAC)

Hyundai-Kia (South Korea)

Dongfeng Yueda Kia (with Dongfeng, in conjunction with Yueda Investments)

Beijing Hyundai (with BAIC)

Suzuki (Japan)

(Defunct) Changan Suzuki (with Changan)

Isuzu (Japan)

Jiangxi Isuzu (with Jiangling)

Qingling Motors (with Qingling)

Mazda (Japan)

Changan Mazda (with Changan)

(Defunct) Hainan Mazda (with FAW) (Remaining rights went to Haima, not associated to FAW)

(Defunct) FAW Car-Mazda (with FAW) (sold to Changan),

BMW (Germany)

BMW Brilliance (with Brilliance Auto Group)

Tata Group (India, UK)

Chery Jaguar Land Rover (with Chery)

Tesla is currently the only foreign car manufacturer that exclusively owns a factory in Mainland China, instead of having a joint venture with or being a subsidiary of any local auto company. Their sole factory is located in Shanghai.

OMG .. blasphemy ...  London Taxi Company (Zhejiang Geely Holding Group in 2013)

image.png.4d6e0f0018db645a08b934a91c6216aa.png

The Austin and Morris Mini were just another ride built by the British Motor Corporation/British Leyland, of which there were many.

When BL went down they all went down.

Austin Mini, Morris Mini, and Cooper variants, Riley Elf Mini, Wolseley Hornet Mini, Mini Moke and the Mini Van...

BMC, British Leyland  and finally Austin Rover/MG Rover 

Apparently the name "Rover" is now owned by Tata.

BMW used to own it....then Ford

BMW own Mini, and Cooper (who was the guy behind the F1 team and licenced his name to the original Mini Cooper.)

The initial Minis were called the "Austin Seven" and "Morris Mini Minor".

BMW also own the name Rolls Royce.

It Really goes to show how multi-national motor companies are.

BMW admit they wouldn't make a profit, if it wasn't  for their factory in China.

The Britsh car output last year was the lowest since 1956.

Since Brexit, it has dropped from 1.7 million to 860,000

Edited by kwilco

22 hours ago, transam said:

The Austin and Morris Mini were just another ride built by the British Motor Corporation/British Leyland, of which there were many.

When BL went down they all went down.

Austin Mini, Morris Mini, and Cooper variants, Riley Elf Mini, Wolseley Hornet Mini, Mini Moke and the Mini Van...

Most of the brand names you mention were just badge engineering by the 1960s. Yet BL still managed to make different models that actually competed against their own alternative models.

Lord Nuffield of Austin fame as the dubious reputation of being the man who turned down VolksWagon after WW2.

Jaguar turned down Tatra and Skoda after the communist bloc fell apart.

Over the years, the management decisions of the British motor industry were embarrassingly bad

7 hours ago, kwilco said:

It looks to me as if the entire premise of this thread is based purely on dislike or even hatred of all things Chinese.

The idea of - only care to buy cheap - is just not true. Chinese now make international quality vehicles at a very reasonable prices and a full range thereof . 

The OP may not like the idea but China is fast becoming the largest motor manufacturer in the world. We've seen this happen before.

The West is overly smug and complacent.  Japan and Korea, however, have learned from the past and have a much better chance of competing.

Naaaaaaaaah, my beef is a Chinese company bought the MG name and uses the MG history in their sales stuff to sell a 100% Chinese ride.

If their offerings are that good, why not use a Chinese name to get it on the auto map....?

The Japanese, Koreans etc, have come on a long way by use their own names, strange that...????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

Naaaaaaaaah, my beef is a Chinese company bought the MG name and uses the MG history in their sales stuff to sell a 100% Chinese ride.

If their offerings are that good, why not use a Chinese name to get it on the auto map....?

The Japanese, Koreans etc, have come on a long way by use their own names, strange that...????

Read the OP....  So what about other countries using brand names.... Ford, Rolls Royce, Bentley, 

I think you've demonstrated my point. Even though you didn't write the OP.

Edited by kwilco

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Read the OP....  So what about other countries using brand names.... Ford, Rolls Royce, Bentley, 

I think you've demonstrated my point. Even though you didn't write the OP.

You have missed my point completely.....????

On 10/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, London Lowf said:

In the sixties some people laughed at Japanese motorbikes, and then in the seventies Japanese cars.

China is taking over as the manufacturing hub of the world and there is nothing to stop it as, at the end of the day, people want cheap stuff - and it's not necessarily poor quality.

China is not in Japan.

Hope this helps.

38 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I think they think it's made in the UK. 

Can't think of any other reason to buy this over a quality Japanese car.  

Nonsense, of course They don't and the quality is fine...

Why do people always attack a new car maker with the same jaded old cliches

• Confused 1

Although not an MG, I ended up buying a Chinese manufactured car. I live on Samui, so no real highway driving here. Bought an old Chinese built Cherry QQ (lime green) for 50K (Cherry cars still seem popular in Philippines but maybe few other places). Ran fine but had no power, especially trying to go over a hill (and forget the steep slope roads). No rust although build quality poor but functional, but would be a disaster in a high speed crash. This IS a poorly designed car and build quality way down the totem pole. Swapped the engine out for an older Toyota engine (38K all in) and voila, I had a somewhat real car with acceptable power. Been going strong for 2+ years now. Mechanic said I should be good for at least 3 more years. Have even taken it on the ferry to Surat Thani a couple times. So, for less than 100K, I expect to have this usable "island car" for at least 5-6 years at a cost of less than 20K/year. Sure beats a motorbike on longer trips, rainy days, or when needed to carry a bunch of stuff. I'll drive it until it dies, then buy a real (safer/reliable), almost assuredly a non-Chinese car next, but cost sure was my driving (excuse the pun) motivation when I first arrived on Samui. Old Chinese cars ARE cheap, in all aspects. It looks funny, is quirky, but fits in well here and what a bargain even if a bit terrifying when that cement truck is tailgating me down the mountain. 

21 hours ago, transam said:

Great Wall Motors seems to have chosen a Chinese centric name

11 hours ago, kwilco said:

You didn't make a point...your thoughts are clouded by your own bigotry. I was referring to the OP and you added your own misconceptions to it.

"Bigotry", you obviously don't know what that means.....????

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I think they think it's made in the UK. 

Can't think of any other reason to buy this over a quality Japanese car.  

Exactly, the Union Jack on the rear of all their stuff proves it, it's even on the back of the 100% Maxus pickup...????

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Japanese cars in Thailand are hellishly expensive with the import taxes involved.

There is no import tax as to hey are made here.

I was 1,050,000 for a top of the range CX3. Could have got the basic model for 800,000.

11 hours ago, kwilco said:

Nonsense, of course They don't and the quality is fine...

Why do people always attack a new car maker with the same jaded old cliches

I am not attacking MG name, I am attacking the use of the MG name and 100 year old history on a 100% Chinese offering. 

They probably couldn't sell the things with a Chinese name...

I just checked out the MG vehicle lineup and I must admit it's impressive. You have to hand it to the Chinese, they are awesome at copying the design of others, tweaking it a bit, and selling it cheaper. Now I can see buying the 400K range car cause it's cheap but the higher end prices I don't see much savings from reputable brands like Toyota and Isuzu.

• Like 1