Junior monk attacks senior monk with a scythe in southern Thailand almost cutting off his nose

webfact

Junior monk attacks senior monk with a scythe in southern Thailand almost cutting off his nose

3pmA.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Muang Trang police were called to some Buddhist offices in the southern Thai city after one monk attacked another.

When they got there they found a lot of blood outside the monks' quarters. Suthep or "Luang Phee Jazz", aged 63, had already been rushed to hospital.

He had facial injuries including a nose that was almost detached, reported Daily News.

The assailant was Phra Thanakrit, aged 30 who had used a scythe recovered at the scene.

His safron robes were covered in blood.

On the arrival of the constabulary another senior monk performed an instant defrocking so that he could be taken away in handcuffs.

Thanakrit told police he had never had a problem with his superior before. 

But on this occasion he had telephoned him to ask if he could officiate at an invitation event instead of the older man.

He felt that he was always left out as the older man hogged the limelight.

"No way, I'm f$#%ing going" was the rather unholy response followed by some more foul language.

This provoke anger in him so he went to the senior monk's quarters 300 meters away in a fury intending to hit him.

However, on the way he picked up a scythe that was lying about. 

He claimed he had hit him only once before they grappled over the weapon then admitted his mistake and waited to surrender to police.

Daily News reported that the monk in question has had a history of mental and drug related problems. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-10-19

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

All about money then, which they are not even meant to have!

Evidently yes, but across the road from my apartment here in Cambodia is a Buddhist temple where the monks use a ladder to scale a perimeter wall over which they make cash purchases of soft drinks, bags of ice (genuine frozen water stuff!) and smart phone top-up scratch cards from a lady with a stall below.

31 minutes ago, Catoni said:

There are some real Buddhists, and real Buddhist monks.  But it takes a while to find them.  They become more rare every year.  Now, there are more criminals dressed in robes, pretending to be monks. 
Buddhism is good……it’s pretend Buddhists and pretend Buddhist monks who are bad. 

30 minutes ago, Catoni said:

There are some real Buddhists, and real Buddhist monks.  But it takes a while to find them.  They become more rare every year.  Now, there are more criminals dressed in robes, pretending to be monks. 
Buddhism is good……it’s pretend Buddhists and pretend Buddhist monks who are bad. 

Sounds like a lot of attachment

Or, in this case, detachment!

1 hour ago, olfu said:

so, generally Buddhism is a scam? 

Often is here, one of the few genuine looking Wats I have seen was outside Udon Nong pah Pong I think it was, a few foreigners there, and the women in white. Only saw one collection box and that was covered over. Spotless, no strays, no daft statues, no amulet nonsense and no building going on. Compare the to Dharmakaya at Paknam where they had their hand out as soon as we got though the gate ????

• Like 1

"Daily News reported that the monk in question has had a history of mental and drug related problems. "

I wonder how many other members of the saffron mafia are perfect citizens who are there solely for the benefit and education of the ignorant masses......

And there we have it, a drugged up no good loser wearing Saffron robes gets wound up with one of his seniors so attacks him.

My mrs is a devout Buddhist, admittedly she hasn't been able to visit and pay merit for a while, but does do it at home with a small shrine we have in one of the spare rooms, she's never too happy when I see a story on the TV and start slaging them off.

• Haha 1

I like the ideals of Buddhism.  In theory it's good, but in practice (at least what I see in Thailand) it gets distorted and manipulated into something perverse.

I have met some good monks and nuns (at least they appeared to be) but they are in the minority. 

When I see monks with smartphones, laptops, sitting in expensive coffee shops or traveling business class on airplanes, I know that is not what the religion is supposed to be about.

Similarly with temples constantly asking for money and building unnecessary buildings and status I am pretty sure that is not the way Buddha would have taught people to practice Buddhism. 

• Like 1

I guess the term that we are only human, could be used, because most of us humans

have a few flaws.  Some can be critical of the Buddhist religion, and some of the monks,  but do not forget the woes with Catholic priests through out the years.

I feel sorry for the old monk who got maimed by this younger nut job of a monk, who is

now just a defrocked criminal who hopefully spends lots of time in a jail.

Geezer

20 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I like the ideals of Buddhism.  In theory it's good, but in practice (at least what I see in Thailand) it gets distorted and manipulated into something perverse.

I have met some good monks and nuns (at least they appeared to be) but they are in the minority. 

When I see monks with smartphones, laptops, sitting in expensive coffee shops or traveling business class on airplanes, I know that is not what the religion is supposed to be about.

Similarly with temples constantly asking for money and building unnecessary buildings and status I am pretty sure that is not the way Buddha would have taught people to practice Buddhism. 

I still get asked to donate money to this temple or that.  If it's for building another building or statue, I say no.  If it's to feed the poor or clothe some poor family, OK.  Otherwise, kiss off. 

• Like 1