No Smart Phone

Grumpy Old Man

16 hours ago, hioctane said:

For the first time, I just scanned a QR code at a food stall with my  bank app and paid for a couple of drinks. No change nor touching filthy money. Very fast and convenient!

whats best about those phones they are virtually hack free and 100% safe ..just give a faceless company all your banking info and all will be fine...batteries last 24/7..as does wifi and folks never lose phones either.......good riddance to carry a few paper bills folded neatly in my pocket.......kids these days are spoiled!    /s

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:29 PM, ezzra said:

Unfortunately a smart phone is not a luxury item to own anymore,i't's become like your data bank/I.D card and payment's gate, so young or old and whether we like it or not, we're stuck with it...

Can a smart phone be used for scanning? What is the best app?

On 10/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Your father has basically three options:

a) get a smart phone and learn to use it

b) explain to people why he doesn't have one, ask what he can do without, etc. - and try that in a foreign language.

c) stay at home

I guess all in all a) is still the best option

What is the best way to learn more things using a smartphone. I know most things and do use it for banking, I haven't a clue about using it for scanning.

I used it for downloading music from Youtube, it decided to stop, and now I haven't been able to do it for the last six months.

I just put it down to it being a computer and behaving as such.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What is the best way to learn more things using a smartphone. I know most things and do use it for banking, I haven't a clue about using it for scanning.

I used it for downloading music from Youtube, it decided to stop, and now I haven't been able to do it for the last six months.

I think you misunderstand what people mean by using it for scanning. First off sometimes you got QR-codes that bring you to sits or apps. All you need to do is turn on your camera and point at the QR code. It will then let you click on the screenor send you to the app / page it is linked too.

The other option is once your in a bank app and a friend has a bank app too they can show you their QR code and you go to your bank app and there is an option to scan it and you can transfer money to your friend. This is most used in shops where they have those QR codes. Just go in your bank ap and scan them and pay.

It took me a bit of time to know this was possible as i just never used it. But after one or two times its so easy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What does getting a car driving licence have to do with either owning a mobile phone or

not ?

I cannot see the connection 

"Great post, not sure why people always things the rules should not apply to them." Rules don't apply to me if I don't agree with them, though there is the odd exception, ie the 90 day report as I am not on parole, and have never been in prison.

That is one of the rules I do not agree with, but can't work my way round it.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Great post, not sure why people always things the rules should not apply to them." Rules don't apply to me if I don't agree with them, though there is the odd exception, ie the 90 day report as I am not on parole, and have never been in prison.

That is one of the rules I do not agree with, but can't work my way round it.

So don't do the 90 day reports.

The fine is only 1,000bht/year.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So don't do the 90 day reports.

The fine is only 1,000bht/year.

The IO is not far from my nearest Makro, so doing the 90 day report is no hardship to me.

I just don't like being told to report to anyone. I could see the point if I was just released from prison on parole, but I have never been in prison in my life, so, as I say, why should I report to anyone?

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unfortunately there are too many idiots that do. Usually young people that expect everyone to make way for them, and get angry when we don't.

When someone walks toward me looking at their phone, I just stop and let them walk into me and give them a big smile, but that doesn't usually work now if I am wearing a mask, and the people then usually get angry, but that's their hard luck.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Interesting.  Did not know this.  Where is the link? Is it just 1000 baht per year or per missed report?

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1666

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 12:47 PM, jak2002003 said:

I only use my smart phone to do video calls on Signal, watch You Tube if I am bored, look up things on the web and take photos. 

Never used it to scan things or pay for stuff.

But I would not miss it if I did not have it.  I would only miss not being able to take photos as I can use my computer to go on the web and do calls. 

I don't have a smart phone but I like taking photos , camera with me when I go out on the bike or in the car.

The camera is a Pentax and if I am, say , having a coffee and something nice appears I whip it out. Gasps from some as like as not never seen a proper camera before . But like you I upload to my computer and then if something extra good can forward.  This is a Pentax pic from last week , sent to my bro in England. 

IMGP0117.JPG

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

When someone walks toward me looking at their phone, I just stop and let them walk into me and give them a big smile, but that doesn't usually work now if I am wearing a mask, and the people then usually get angry, but that's their hard luck.

You should try that with a car. More fun. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I don't have a smart phone but I like taking photos , camera with me when I go out on the bike or in the car.

The camera is a Pentax and if I am, say , having a coffee and something nice appears I whip it out. Gasps from some as like as not never seen a proper camera before . But like you I upload to my computer and then if something extra good can forward.  This is a Pentax pic from last week , sent to my bro in England. 

IMGP0117.JPG

I also have a real camera, but it takes a few weeks to get the photos developed a I post them off to a photo developing company in Solihull 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Often YouTube has lots of HowTo videos. 

My advise it learn one thing after the other when you really want to use it. I.e. if you want to scan documents then learn that one. And maybe another day about online banking. And another day about online shopping. After a while you will know a lot and the more you know the easier you will learn new things.

Take it easy, don't rush.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, poohy said:

Just buy a dirt cheap smartphone carry it everywhere when required to use it, hand it to the person requiring its use 

Tell them to sort it out!

Job done!

You make an interesting point, because I have an old Nokia flip phone, and I love it to pieces – – small, easy to handle, easy to read and I have gotten used to the "candy bar" keyboard.

I use it for phone calls and SMS messages and that's it, whereas my laptop sits at home and handles all of my emails and everything else, and I don't want my emails and all of the other rubbish following me around on a smart phone.

That being the case I really don't want a smart phone BUT I'm wondering if I could buy a cheap smart phone (keeping my little Nokia) and not bother to download all of the apps like Facebook, Line, Google or whatever else one puts on them and just use it for the app which one has to use when coming back into Thailand.

Trying to think this through, I suppose I would have to have another phone number for this smart phone, which doesn't worry me because it would probably only be used in an emergency anyway or when coming back into the country and who knows when that will be!

Then I could use the suggestion which "poohy" has posted? Sounds like a plan, but as am not going anywhere soon, maybe a plan for the future!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

That is not our decision. Nor do we have any influence. Complaining is a complete waste of time and energy.

These are actually discussion forums where people give their opinion about things . 

We are on these forums to have social discussions and we aren't here for a revolution 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

These are actually discussion forums where people give their opinion about things . 

We are on these forums to have social discussions and we aren't here for a revolution 

Your right however talking about 90 days reporting is pointless. Everyone has the same opinion that they can do without it. I doubt there are many farangs that want this reporting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I don't want my emails and all of the other rubbish following me around on a smart phone.

Then do not turn it on until you want to use it.

You can set the fone to not give you any notifications.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, xylophone said:

and not bother to download all of the apps like Facebook, Line, Google or whatever else one puts on them and just use it for the app which one has to use when coming back into Thailand.

You would need to Root the fone to remove all the manufacturers apps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, seedy said:

Then do not turn it on until you want to use it.

You can set the fone to not give you any notifications.

On that note, if I only want it for the vaccination app or similar, surely I won't have to have access to my email, or will I?