Pattaya retirees feel “trapped” in Thailand because of insurance

redwood1

On 11/4/2021 at 12:57 PM, redwood1 said:

Never........But I guess things changed yesterday......I guess everyone else only needs 50,000 dollars in covid insurance...

When I applied for my Non O in April at the London Embassy Health Insurance was mandatory, the Insurance I had for my COE covered it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JeezeLooeze said:

I would like an official answer to this as well. Others on this thread have suggested that if you have Thai SS (or Thai govt issued "medical card") then upload proof of this as "proof of insurance" at the Thailand Pass website. Preferably do this and see if you get the pass before you leave Thailand to verify it works before leaving the country to avoid getting stuck overseas. I guess one could download a copy of one's monthly payments into the Thai SS from their website and use this as proof as they do not issue SS cards anymore. 

tks mate

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Presumably you had a return ticket that left in 16 December?

Exactly. People should refrain from definitive statements like 'you must have insurance to the end of your extension', every rule has exceptions.

When I planned to go to the UK I knew insurance to come back would be a problem so I used 2 tickets, one being a return from the UK. I now have 2 outstanding legs still to use.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, mran66 said:

What you say is that for those on long term visa or extension they actually don't look at the validity period of insurance??

I am not saying that, I came on a return ticket from the UK.

I am on a marriage extension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Exactly. People should refrain from definitive statements like 'you must have insurance to the end of your extension', every rule has exceptions.

When I planned to go to the UK I knew insurance to come back would be a problem so I used 2 tickets, one being a return from the UK. I now have 2 outstanding legs still to use.

I did the same thing, but it's not an exception to the rule.  It's a dodgy way around it.  Doubt we'll get caught out though.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 12:57 PM, Berkshire said:

I wonder if this insurance requirement is COVID-driven.  That is, will it be a temporary scheme.  Hopefully it is as it's rather draconian and pointless. 

Trouble is with things like this is they tend to start off as a temporary measure, then become permanent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

I did the same thing, but it's not an exception to the rule.  It's a dodgy way around it.  Doubt we'll get caught out though.

When I said "exception to the rule" I meant the rule that is being promoted on this forum that you must have insurance to the end of your extension, the embassy uses the words "period of stay in Thailand".

Wouldn't 'period of stay' equate to the time between arrival and departure?

How many actually depart when renewing an extension?

If anything is "dodgy" it is the interpretation and as the whole thing is tourist orientated I can see some other requirement arising for those without a return ticket.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When I said "exception to the rule" I meant the rule that is being promoted on this forum that you must have insurance to the end of your extension, the embassy uses the words "period of stay in Thailand".

If anything is "dodgy" it is the interpretation and as the whole thing is tourist orientated I can see some other requirement arising for those without a return ticket.

LOL.  I didn't depart.  Just gave up the return ticket. LOL.  My renewal is in March.  I'll probably leave in January and come back just before the renewal.  Legit this time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I am not saying that, I came on a return ticket from the UK.

I am on a marriage extension.

Anyway they did not use insurance end date as the stamp date, rather extension end date? Any idea what might have been the logic/reason, if any? Or just random? 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

No , It means for the period of your visa.As far as they are concerned your period of stay is the length of your visa. 

They look at your type of visa when you apply for a CoE , or a Thai Pass and whatever the visa type, that' how long insurance they require, What you do once you get here is a totally different issue.  

If you come visa exempt , you need 30 days insurance, as far as they are concerned , you are leaving in 30 days.

If you come on a Non Im -O based on marriage  you need three month insurance,.etc. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

One travel insurance I checked stated applicants must be a UK resident, be registered at a GP and have a UK address.

That seems to be on the small print of every travel insurance issued in UK. I was once told that there are travel policies available which did not exclude pre-existing conditions. I shopped around several websites, but they were all for UK residents. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

They reported a 448 million baht loss, but it meaningless without a figure for total revenue from tourism.

You are correct it is peanuts however they are using it as a pretext for making every tourist have a minimum $50,000 health insurance policy covering care in Thailand.  IF and I repeat IF they were really that concerned over the hospitals losing money they would charge each arriving tourist 100 baht and that would be far for money to be awarded to the hospitals for non paying foreigners than is currently being incurred.  

Of course the figure also doesn't include the millions of baht the hospitals made on tourists who went to them for care and paid their bills either.  

The ludicrous part is that having insurance does not guarantee that the hospital will get paid.  Perhaps the hospital performed some service not covered or more likely the bureaucratic nightmare of trying to collect from a foreign insurance company just isn't worth the expense and hassle to the hospital. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

No , It means for the period of your visa.

The lifetime of the Visa is not exactly it........ it usually means the duration of the Permission of Stay you will get, or until the extension of it. 

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

LOL.  I didn't depart.  Just gave up the return ticket. LOL.  My renewal is in March.  I'll probably leave in January and come back just before the renewal.  Legit this time!

I haven't decided yet, I had thought about going back to the UK for Christmas but not looking very good over there.

I have flexible tickets and plan to go again May and August, will only be a few weeks from coming back in June to going again end of July. I will be out of the country when extension comes up for renewal next August so back on new Non O.

Hopefully entry will be a bit easier by then but who knows.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mran66 said:

Anyway they did not use insurance end date as the stamp date, rather extension end date? Any idea what might have been the logic/reason, if any? Or just random? 

Why would there be any reason?

Returning to Thailand every Tom, Dick & Harry wants to see your documents, apart from the man with the stamp, passport and boarding card is all he wants.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

As far as they are concerned your period of stay is the length of your visa. 

I didn't have a visa.

I had a re-entry permit and a return ticket from UK to Thailand and back. They took the length of stay as the date on the return leg of the ticket.

Feel perfectly free to say they were wrong, along with everyone else that checked the documents.

Reality is what it is, not what you would prefer it to be.