Have you been afraid of Covid-19 in the past 1.5 years?

peter zwart

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Faulty numbers.  And sadly, not only the obese are getting hit.  Healthy people are also.  Covid will be with us forever.  Vaccines are our only answer right now.  Glad you got yours.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/11/02/the-number-of-people-who-have-died-from-covid-19-is-likely-to-be-close-to-17m

The number of people who have died from covid-19 is likely to be close to 17m

The official tally of 5m is a huge undercount

Can't read the article unless subscribed, but appears as pure speculation and conjecture. They claim the "official" number is wrong and this media fueled fear-mongering opinion piece is somehow correct and "LIKELY" much higher. But even giving the benefit of the doubt for sake of argument and say their estimate is accurate....SO WHAT? It brings the death rate up to a whopping 0.2125%. That's POINT 2125 of ONE PERCENT. Still way LOW. And vast majority very old, very fat folks. 

The sky is not falling. Time to get on with living and stop obsessing about dying. ????

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You tend to ignore the fact every country has under counted.  If they even counted at all.

That count would have to really be off, to even get close to the 6+ million that died of heart disease last year / 2020 or the 8+ million in 2019

Covid, just over 5 million deaths, in 18 months. Big number, but still

only 0.07% of world population.

World population - 7.9 billion X 0.07 % = 5.53 million

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Simply said yes , because im not 21 and i am not a sportsman. More even , i am i close contact with my parents which are both old (78/82) and my father has got cancer which is spread out but under control . I know a few who have died from covid  , since they were friends of my parents so i know wheat it can do .

Then you say , but they were about to die , yes , 1 was , all others were not , they were much younger , but not 70+ age .

Am i afraid of myself , no, im not , im afraid of my relatives . I am vaccinated off course , and i will do my best to reduce spread , but not because of me . If i should die , i will , but i do care others around .

10 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Can't read the article unless subscribed, but appears as pure speculation and conjecture. They claim the "official" number is wrong and this media fueled fear-mongering opinion piece is somehow correct and "LIKELY" much higher. But even giving the benefit of the doubt for sake of argument and say their estimate is accurate....SO WHAT? It brings the death rate up to a whopping 0.2125%. That's POINT 2125 of ONE PERCENT. Still way LOW. And vast majority very old, very fat folks. 

The sky is not falling. Time to get on with living and stop obsessing about dying. ????

I'm not obsessing at all.  Just don't like the covid deniers here to post misinformation.  It helps no one.

I don't have a subscription to the economist.  Pops up fine for me.  And it's just one of thousands of articles that point out the under count.  But deniers still cling to these fake numbers.  Amazing.

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That count would have to really be off, to even get close to the 6+ million that died of heart disease last year / 2020 or the 8+ million in 2019

Covid, just over 5 million, in 18 months. Big number, but still a small (relative) % of world population.

Again, an under count.  You guys just don't give up, do you.

No, i am not scared, neither am I complacent.

I treat the covid situation similar (philosophically) to the risk of being involved in a traffic accident. 

There are trillions of precise points where one can pick up an infection, same in principle with the roads. One has to be in the wrong place at the wrong time; one or two seconds either way and things do or do not happen.

With a few exceptions, the statistics show that much less than 10% of  populations as a whole have been infected, so I feel quite safe practicing normal recommended precautions. I don't think of myself being lucky; rather, I haven't been unlucky.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Again, an under count.  You guys just don't give up, do you.

Under count, maybe, not a fact.  Some think an overcount, maybe, not a fact. We'll ignore both.

But let's take the actually count, just over 5 mill, and for easy math, will add 1 mill for the rest of 2021.

6 mill / 2 yrs = 3 mill a year.   Far from the #1 cause of death worldwide, which is what I was replying to.  6+ million last year from heart disease,  3 ish from Covid, easy math ballpark.

Now you're thinking only half the covids are being counting, if wanting to get close to 

the #1 cause of death worldwide.  What I was replying to.

More than twice as many, if wanting to be #1 cause of death.  Twice ... that's a hell of an under count.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Under count, maybe, not a fact.  Some think an overcount, maybe, not a fact. We'll ignore both.

But let's take the actually count, just over 5 mill, and for easy math, will add 1 mill for the rest of 2021.

6 mill / 2 yrs = 3 mill a year.   Far from the #1 cause of death worldwide, which is what I was replying to.  6+ million last year from heart disease,  3 ish from Covid, easy math ballpark.

Now you're thinking only half the covids are being counting, if wanting to get close to 

the #1 cause of death worldwide.  What I was replying to.

More than twice as many, if wanting to be #1 cause of death.  Twice ... that's a hell of an under count.

Stuck on fake numbers.  I give up.  And in the end, what matters is this is a global pandemic to be taken seriously, not deny the severity because of fake stats.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Let's put this in perspective ... 'in Thailand'

Already stated, IF, you are infected with Covid19, you have a 98.9% chance of recovery.

Thailand's population is ~70 million, updated deaths: 19,611

So if live in Thailand, you have a < 0.029 % chance of dying from Covid

70 mill X 0.028016 % = 19,611

Practice safe distancing, Wash them hands occasionally, stop touching your face.

If you think it helps, wear a mask.

Stop stressing .....  BE SAFE

Afraid ... No ... I'm liking the odds  99.97% chance of not dying of covid.  

Since you like stats and percentages, odd that you omit to mention the single most effective means of staying safe from COVID ..... Get vaccinated.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Since you like stats and percentages, odd that you omit to mention the single most effective means of staying safe from COVID ..... Get vaccinated.

That's one opinion, and your personal choice to.  I prefer not to.

Plenty of threads about vaccinations.

This is about if afraid of, and I simply stated why I'm not.  With real #s.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The effectiveness of vaccines is not an opinion.

But it is something you omitted to mention.

Omission is a thing amongst anti-vaxxers.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The effectiveness of vaccines is not an opinion.

But it is something you omitted to mention.

Omission is a thing amongst anti-vaxxers.

The thread is not about vaccines, hence, no need or desire to mention it...from me.

As stated, plenty of threads running about the vaccine.

Lots of health issues out there concern me, and most start with "C", although, for myself, 'covid' is NOT one of them.  My personal opinion.

Others agree, others disagree.  Let's agree to disagree.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

With a pre-existing condition and being over 60, I thought that put me in the higher risk category, and having a family of young kids, YES, I was afraid, as you say, lots of media, lots of misinformation etc, but social distancing, wearing a mask, washing hands frequently and not really going out that much I suppose reduced our anxiety, that and not really letting extended family or visitors near us as we felt best to protect me the bread winner and the other members of our family, as young as they are.

Lots and lots of research was done to fully understand what we were p against, but it wasn't until the USA donation of Pzifer which was administered to me and others back in August and September, did I start to relax, that is where I am at the moment, two kids recently received Pfizer as well, now just waiting for a call from Bangkok Hospital for mum to get her doses which we paid for back in June, that said, if it wasn't for the USA's donation of Pfizer, I would still be waiting and guess my anxiety would be pretty much where it was, so am eternally grateful to the USA.

Once mum gets her doses, and the remaining kids, it will be pretty much behind us, until the next one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure that's completely accurate.

Heart disease & strokes, and that's every year, not just the last 18 months

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

And for what year is the data derived from in the article linked to f? Hmmm.... 2019.  Does that tell you anything?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

With a pre-existing condition and being over 60, I thought that put me in the higher risk category, and having a family of young kids, YES, I was afraid, as you say, lots of media, lots of misinformation etc, but social distancing, wearing a mask, washing hands frequently and not really going out that much I suppose reduced our anxiety, that and not really letting extended family or visitors near us as we felt best to protect me the bread winner and the other members of our family, as young as they are.

Lots and lots of research was done to fully understand what we were p against, but it wasn't until the USA donation of Pzifer which was administered to me and others back in August and September, did I start to relax, that is where I am at the moment, two kids recently received Pfizer as well, now just waiting for a call from Bangkok Hospital for mum to get her doses which we paid for back in June, that said, if it wasn't for the USA's donation of Pfizer, I would still be waiting and guess my anxiety would be pretty much where it was, so am eternally grateful to the USA.

Once mum gets her doses, and the remaining kids, it will be pretty much behind us, until the next one.

Good summary, similar to myself and family, I was more scared of catching it and leaving behind my family who are depend on me, we had many close calls including being high risk contacts but we managed to stay safe and are all now fully vaccinated although precautions still of course needed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I'm not worried about the covid 19 because that disease virus has been swamped by the secondary ramifications of economic and cultural destruction. 

Never in my life did I ever think that not wearing a mask would become illegal, that crossing provincial or state boundries would become illegal or by police permit, that citizens could not travel internally or internationally and that citizens could be denied re-entry to their own country. Even that some numpty in power would decide that drinking whilst standing up was illegal, or that visiting family would become illegal. 

The hysterical politicians, police and state "leaders" are a bigger threat to humanity than the virus.

Yeah. Those pesky medical professionals trying to keep us safe. And keep us from dying or ending up in the hospital with a tube jammed down our throat. Shame on them.

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And thanks to people like you, hospitals are being overwhelmed and the quality of care degraded. Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Catoni said:

I’m not scared or paranoid about Covid. And I will live as free as possible from government medical tyranny dictates. 
  I’ll be 70 years old at the end of this month. 

Same here ... thankfully since the start, things have been fairly normal where I live.  I'm one of them anti vax / mask demons, BUT, do practice social distancing 99.99% of the time, nobody, except wife & dog is within 10 meters of me.  Missed out on a few restaurant dining experiences when in 'total' lockdown, and no real loss, as we cook at home better than most restaurants anyway, but nice to get out once in a while.  Just made us picnic surf side more often, and actually a good thing.

Only have to wear mask to 3 vendors, and sadly can't avoid them; 7-11, Makro, HomePro.  I guess I could, but at higher costs across the board, with less or no availability of same product.  So I comply with mask wearing, even though the staff at times don't.

Knocking on 68 myself next month, so actually puts me in the higher risk side of the 1 ish % dying of C19 in Thailand ????  .... IF infected.

nf.png

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And for what year is the data derived from in the article linked to f? Hmmm.... 2019.  Does that tell you anything?

If referring to top 10 causes of death chart - the circles have colors, 2020 + 2019, which I also pointed out, 6+ & 8+ mill respectfully for those years

vs 5+ mill for C19 over the last 18-20 months.  

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

and in a city with a low vaccination rate.

If you are referring to Pattaya City, do you know the reported vaccination rate there? What is a "low vaccine rate" in your world?

Edited by i84teen

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Good summary, similar to myself and family, I was more scared of catching it and leaving behind my family who are depend on me, we had many close calls including being high risk contacts but we managed to stay safe and are all now fully vaccinated although precautions still of course needed.

Amen to that, no hero here, I believe most that state they weren't afraid have reasons to make such a statement, i.e. no family ties, lived their lives, not me, young wife, young family, and I still consider myself young, albeit I have had a great life, can never get enough of it and will never be ready to go, so Covid and others take note, I'll NEVER be ready so you can F O.....I'm the natural causes type of guy aging gracefully till I can't no more.

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And thanks to people like you, hospitals are being overwhelmed and the quality of care degraded. Thanks again.

And this is particularly ironic given the tagline you use for your comments:

"If you're not part of the solution, then you are the problem"