I am Done With Thai Retirement Extensions - Relocating to Ecuador or Mexico on Permanent Residency

sam6345

17 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

May I ask you which citizenships do you hold at the moment? I might have an easy for solution for you...

Edit: Also which languages are you fluent in?

Have you ever been to Mexico or anywhere in Central or South America? At 65 you are going to at least have to learn Spanish in that area , and to start all over again when covid is everywhere is a hard call. Good luck i hope it works out for you and your family.

• Thanks 1

Just now, vandeventer said:

Have you ever been to Mexico or anywhere in Central or South America? At 65 you are going to at least have to learn Spanish in that area , and to start all over again when covid is everywhere is a hard call. Good luck i hope it works out for you and your family.

Hey gringo, habla espanhol?

Yeah, mucho mucho.

4 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

Anutin and his "we should kick the dirty foreigners" rhetoric last year really shown their true colors eh?

Damage is done.

My farang friends have told me that there has been a considerable uptick in xenophobia. That is also a consideration, but it's something I'd be more inclined to  check out for myself ...

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Confuscious said:

I have taken the same decision, returning to Europe, for personal reasons.
Can not find which benefit paying for a "20 year THAI Elite visa" could bring for me.

I am 68 years old and I have been staying more than 20 years in Thailand now.
Although I have been hospitalized in Thailand a few times, I always paid my bill without an expensive health insurance which would be worthless anyway.

I wear a Pacemaker and it will need to be exchanged by the end of next year.
Cost for the pacemaker on Thailand (without the surgery) is about 120KBaht.
In Europe it is FREE (I am an European citizen).

At my age, travelling back and forth to Europe for every heath issue, becomes a PITA.

Also, I did got already the (bad) news that I will for 90% sure be enrolled for DIALYSE (3 times a week).
DIALYSE  every 3 days will be very expensive.
In Europe, it is FREE.

And I don't talk about other benefits that I would get when I would return to EUROPE.

I don't see what taking an expensive 20 year visa or an expensive health care would benefit me.

And just like me, there are thousands of aging retirees in Thailand who will take sooner or later the same decision.

Hey old pal, may I kindly suggest you take a quick look at Nicosia or Limassol on your return?

You could get a very cheap condo with a view and warm weather all year around.

Sure it won't be as exotic as Thailand but at least you'd be back in good ole' Europe.

My hearts goes to you. Stay safe.

Just now, vandeventer said:

Not exactly. You can move to places like San Miguel de Allende, Lake Chapala, and Boquette and get by without Spanish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Hope you enjoyed this read, do your own research.

If you just wrote 90 day visa on arrival aside of having 60 day extension based on wife or child everyone understood too.

Anyway, 20k a year agent cheaper and easier.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Apart from all the horse poop.

Back to the OP,

With no tourists my extensions have never been easier.

Last year there was one person in front of me.

This year I just walked straight up to the counter and was served.

For me the same experience with the only exception that the official was an hour late.

40 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Last year I was stuck in Goa

Two years ago I took a cruise and one of the ports was GOA.  We almost did not get off the ship because at first India was charging $100 USD for a visa and I didn't think the $200 for both of us was worth it added to the cost of a shore excursion.  The price for online dropped to $25 and we purchased the visa's.  Should have stayed on the ship.  I don't know what other parts of GOA look like but I can tell you the port area is a slum.  Closest tourist thing was about a 1 hour tuk tuk ride to some place where they made spices.  If I wanted to look at how spices are made I would have taken a tour of the McCormick factory back in the USA.  

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

just did the Thailand Pass upload, it was a doddle.

Glad it worked out for you.

I'm hoping it'll be the same for me I'm pretty savvy with these kinda things - but I haven't heard whether or not it functions with MacOS or with any other email than Google ...

We'll see ..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Glad it worked out for you.

I'm hoping it'll be the same for me I'm pretty savvy with these kinda things - but I haven't heard whether or not it functions with MacOS or with any other email than Google ...

We'll see ..

I used my Android phone to take screenshots of all the pdf files sent to me by the insurance scammers, the airline, and my govt (vax certificate). I used the crop function to remove all the background "noise". did the same cropping thing to grab just the QR code from the vax certificate. Aussie boy here and the nanny-state provides us with a nice little QR code that contains all of our personal information. thanks Nan!

I used Brave browser (Chrome-based) on Windows 10 to do the actual upload.

I got an email saying they accepted it, 7 days blah blah blah. if they come back and want more stuff then I'll just crack another tinnie and figure it out ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

But then you haven't mentioned insurance which has nothing to do with extensions, but is unobtainable for those over 75 and means they will be unable to return to Thailand should they venture out to visit relatives, maybe. In effect, kept captive.

Captive is fine by me.

Eventually, perhaps, Thailand Immigration will go fully IT and devise a form that asks questions like, "have you applied for a ...............Visa before and if so what is the number of your Visa.  This, together with your full name should immediately log you on and all you have to do is go through (in the majority of cases) a YES/NO questionaire, then produce an updated bank statement to support the application.  90% of the questions could be answered this way and submitted online.  Not only would this save 1,000s of trees, but would reduce the cost of staff.  Oh, sorry this is Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, CHEYENNE5668 said:

I've heard good things about Panama's expat friendly Pensionado visa. A friend recently relocated there. I'll let him be my canary in the coal mine so to speak before I make any rash decisions. Good luck to you... 

yes, Panama was my alternative and I wish I had taken it now !!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seedy said:

Expensive

If you consider 20k expensive for a yearly extension including multi entry, 90 day report and tm30 care.

I earn 40k back just on using the money, in a poor year. Most times more towards 80k. The difference gets reinvested too so by now i almost doubled the initial amount.

I live here since age 19, cant afford to let money rot in a bank account. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Jesus...whereabouts do you live? 

I've got no yapping soi dogs, rubbish isn't dumped on the roadside except by arrangement with the BMA whose workers collect it every day, there's no racket from temples neither is there any racket from vendors and there's no more whiff from the drains than there is from any drain anywhere else.

Are you sure you are not in Liverpool ?

Mexico, interesting.

I'd pick any other country other than Mexico.

Equador hands down better.

Mexican women tend to eat large amounts of lard.

It goes straight to there beer belly's.

Nothing compares to the svelt Thai women though.

• Haha 1