Thai PM wants early procurement of Merck’s Molnupiravir and Pfizer’s Paxlovid

webfact

What's happened to the "Enough for 200,000 patients" Molnupiravir that was supposedly discussed in the Thai Cabinet 4 weeks ago? Price? Which countries have secured December 2021 delivery schedules before Thailand?

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-talks-with-merck-200000-courses-anti-covid-pills-2021-10-04/

Prayut's thoughts don't go more than to the end of a table. In genral, it is a good idea to replace the vaccine by pills, if effective. But it has to be appoved by science if effective.

But replacing the vaccines by the pills has a lot of consequences. Can the pills against covid replace all the laws and orders concerning the necessary (double) anti-covid vaccines? I.e., if you go to the haircutter, leaving the province or the Thai country, going into the pub or a bar, reducing the distance to the neighbor sitting in a bus, train or anywhere in the publich area???

The list goes on .... and the cheating will do so, too.

Officer/police in the airport: "Where is your required vaccination document?"

Answer: "Pfizer’s Paxlovid or Merck’s Molnupiravir COVID, don't need the vaccines."

Officer: "Show me the pills!"

Answer: "Are at home".

Officer confused. Everbody can say this (unapproved). And that can (will) reduce the covid pandemie???

I guess , Prayut did not yet think about these consequences in the bureaucracy.

Edited by puck2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

What's happened to the "Enough for 200,000 patients" Molnupiravir that was supposedly discussed in the Thai Cabinet 4 weeks ago? Price? Which countries have secured December 2021 delivery schedules before Thailand?

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-talks-with-merck-200000-courses-anti-covid-pills-2021-10-04/

More bluster, they only ordered enough for 50,000 people and its does not look like the budget has even been approved yet, this from 3 days ago:

The Department of Medical Services has requested a budget for medicines and risk expenses to buy Molnupiravir tablets, Department of Medical Services director-general Dr Somsak Akksilp said on Wednesday. The Budget Bureau is in the process of considering the request, he said.

If the Budget Bureau completes consideration of the matter, it will be tabled at a Cabinet meeting tomorrow. The department has ordered a total of 50,000 courses, or 2 million tablets. The drug is expected to arrive in Thailand in January 2022.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40008362

• Thanks 1

My understanding is that the pills are not preventative. They are to alleviate the effects of the virus once infected. So the social measures required are either completely different from the vax measures, or are not required at all.

2 hours ago, puck2 said:

it is a good idea to replace the vaccine by pills, if effective. But it has to be appoved by science if effective.

But replacing the vaccines by the pills has a lot of consequences. Can the pills against covid replace all the laws and orders concerning the necessary (double) anti-covid vaccines?

The pills won't replace the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Why on Earth does he have to be issuing an instruction to buy a drug that will save lives......what the hell is Anutin doing?

... 555, Bob the builder? No, I mean Dr. Bob? Sitting on his thumbs most likely, and on both at the same time which I suppose is kind of an achievement as well ... !

• Haha 2

PM is in charge...

That man there, order some vaccines.

That man there, order some pills..

That man there...sort out the issues in the South...stop the temples and historical artefacts from flooding, oops, from a surfeit of water.

that man there...Can't think for themselves

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

They will attempt to get them for free next by manufacturing themselves

4 hours ago, Used2LuvThailand said:

Better make a call to Siam Bioscience, big guy.  It's not a pandemic unless the right people are getting their cut. ????

"Free"  is difficult to define in a Thai context.......  but I am sure the general will feel obliged to offer the opportunity to SB....

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

deja vue... they did the same with the vaccines and look where did it get them, last on the line 555

Yes they seek only free donations, and even then it may never happen due to the paperwork being buried on someone's desk while they are out of the office. 

Timing is a big issue that renders these drugs only partially useful.  Perhaps in an acute pandemic situation they would be very welcome as they might deployed very quickly, and fill the inevitable delays in mass vaccination that younger people in particular have to endure.

To be honest, the passive vaccine (ready made antibodies) offered by AZ will be far more effective, as it is both preventative and curative.

20 hours ago, puck2 said:

Prayut's thoughts don't go more than to the end of a table. In genral, it is a good idea to replace the vaccine by pills, if effective. But it has to be appoved by science if effective.

But replacing the vaccines by the pills has a lot of consequences. Can the pills against covid replace all the laws and orders concerning the necessary (double) anti-covid vaccines? I.e., if you go to the haircutter, leaving the province or the Thai country, going into the pub or a bar, reducing the distance to the neighbor sitting in a bus, train or anywhere in the publich area???

The list goes on .... and the cheating will do so, too.

Officer/police in the airport: "Where is your required vaccination document?"

Answer: "Pfizer’s Paxlovid or Merck’s Molnupiravir COVID, don't need the vaccines."

Officer: "Show me the pills!"

Answer: "Are at home".

Officer confused. Everbody can say this (unapproved). And that can (will) reduce the covid pandemie???

I guess , Prayut did not yet think about these consequences in the bureaucracy.

Nobody, including Prayut, suggested replacing vaccines with pills. After a slow start, he is trying to acquire all the weapons he can against the virus… sooner rather than later. It will take a combination of antivirals and vaccines to control Covid.

Let’s be honest here, does anyone seriously think that he’s going to pay the $700 per course for your average Somchai when initially he wasn’t willing to pay $15 or less per shot for a decent vaccine? He’ll buy some for himself and his cronies to keep them happy and that will be it!