Thai PM urges relevant government agencies to fix “Thailand Pass” system after many did not receive QR code

webfact

And fix your ministers who claim it has been seamless and a great success, and whose ministries and departments were responsible for the problems in the first place. You know who they are, sir. Time to clean out your stable.

Edited by bradiston
Addendum

3 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

I believe the wiser folks will give 'em a month or two to sort out the glitches and obvious faux pas - in which, most of these things have been updated or fixed. 

imho those "wiser folks" should have done desk-top testing and Proof of Concept, then gamma, if all still works beta, if all still works stress-testing; and only then release a live version to the end-users.
oh, forgot, and never ever tinker in the live-system.

But hey, I am old-fashioned and not in charge, surely those in charge have improved on this methodology already.

5 hours ago, fgmr said:

The entire process is fraught with the errant nature of required data to be supplied in image formats. 

When one already has  Health Insurance Policy, Airline booking confirmation, AQ Hotel booking confirmation  received either as pdf documents or physical mail it is insulting to state that the Thai Pass process is now simple and easy. How many people are familiar with the necessary procedures or have the knowledge to carry out the document conversiion to images.

I am of the opinion that most if not all the bosses in authority that authorised this system have not tried to get a Pass using the current system.

I wonder how many of those who have successfully applied for the Thai Pass were people who already had a familiar knowledge of working with and converting files etc.

LOS!£$^?

Did the PM have a TP for his recent trip to Scotland?

• Haha 2

Thailand needs to develop its own IT talent.  But.  This sort of thing where tens of thousands are directly affected is not the place to do it.  For this they should have brought in experienced professionals from abroad.  Unfortunately, "face" means that won't happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Right, that's sorted then, might as well cancel my flight.

Why have a 'Pass' at all? Just issue clear instructions to the airlines on what passengers need to have and it'll sort itself.  They can check you have everything on arrival (which they will anyway) and make it clear that if you haven't complied, you're going home at the airlines's expense.

It's called authoritarian control by the Generals, who think everyone should obey their "orders".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flink said:

Two better words: Not necessary.

If you arrive at the check in desk with your passport, vaccination certificate and PCR result to show them, that should suffice. Instead they come up with TP which takes forever, and often many attempts (in some cases) to actually get approval and be sent a QR code to present at the checkin desk, many of which don't have bar code readers yet. It's an unnecessary hassle to would be tourists, and returning Thais, expats and workers, that just isn't needed.

Like so much of what is "required" in Thailand.

It's Not Required.

No one knows why it is labelled as such. Duplication upon duplication. Just look at IMM document "requirements". 99% are on file, either in hard copy or in some great cloud of fog in the sky. Collection of all this data through TP is going to create another thousand warehouses, (virtual or real) of unnecessary documentation, that has the effect of not letting you see the wood for the trees.

Note to the committee on committees: Go back to the beginning. Q: Why do we need this data? A: To prevent the spread of Covid. Not, as doubtless the head honcho said at the first committee meeting, "shall we create something called a Thailand Pass?", and work backwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

No one is surprised the system is defective. Anyone whose been here more than a minute knew this was coming. Arrogance and Ineptitude are a dangerous mix and so TYPICALLY THAILAND. 

I would like to amend your post to read,

Arrogance and Ineptitude are a dangerous mix, and so typical of the Thai leadership and of the Thai beaurocracy, and not of the Thai people as a whole.

Not to flog a dead horse

But, while the PM is putting the boot into those responsible for the Thailand Pass issues.

Could he also give the head of Thai Immigration a swift kick up the backside and have him apply the same sense of urgency into getting the Online 90 day reporting system to work effectively and reliably.

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

speed it up, yes good idea, Copy of you vaccine on your phone or country issued cert, maybe negative test paperwork and flight ticket - rest is complete balls.

You keep the pass more than another 6 weeks and nobodies coming in numbers next year either.

They have said only 30,000 will come a month now - 1000 tourists a day - no airport , business or airlines can manage that continuing loss. Numbers are up now due to people like us that want to go back or need to, there will be a drop off in the coming weeks if pass not abandoned.

The Thai pass site should have this put on the web site.

th?id=OIP.hJBytOLNdmeqsQ22UFcBzAHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

They need to drop the bs insurance

• Like 2

Mr. Prayut, put the foot into your own arXh!

Your typical military style: the bureaucrats should do or correct something, but you don't give them any concrete details (because of ignorance and imcompetence).

You should already think in advance, before you are giving orders. But this presumes competence. Of course, a MP cannot know all, but his advisers should have this quality (to fill the holes of normal ignorance). 

Yes , that is a sign of competence for "leaders" of a government to have chosen quality staff, and not minions or boot lickers. You are only a leader in an abnormal bureaucracy.

MP, look at other countries and order only what is essential to protect your country against covid (as here already mentioned):

• vaccinated 2x against covid
  • PCR-test from the country of origin, because you need it already for your plane, bus, train etc. (no big time difference between leaving and arriving! in Thailand).
  • do something against farangs who let their medical bills unpayed. Then we don't need to show the health insurence document. It worked all the time before your military coup and, crazily, Thailand and its medical care didn't go bankrupt.

Othwerwise, please take an injection against inco.......e).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

Thailand needs to develop its own IT talent.

Don't believe much in "talent" when it comes to IT, as "talent" too often disturbs the peace of well run projects. What works are process libraries such ITIL and PRINCE 2, but I have shivers down my spine when thinking what Thai brains could do with those, then would anal ise them to death and turn them into things worse than immigration.

1 hour ago, LikeItHot said:

Could the relevant agency for the 90 day online reporting system first. I called the hotline the other day and told them I have not been able to use it since January. They said "Yeah it's a big problem". I guess we know who is the priority.  

I think it's better to tell every IO-officer, that the 90-day reporting is an absolutely waste. Stop this idiotic order as soon as possible. Ask them, how many culprits did they catch because of this reporting? And most important: tell the officers, they should report this to all IO-officers in the line up. 

They should feel and learn that the falangs don't like stupid and needless reports.

One good thing I can report...

I started the application yesterday, (using Microsoft Edge - Chrome didn't work), and then ran into delays, as I was waiting for hotel confirmations etc..., but I just kept the browser window open, and just a few minutes ago, managed to submit both my wife and my application successfully and received confirming emails that they are being processed.

So, what this proves is that in spite of lots of little "gotchas" such as file format and other things, that if you keep the window open, it does not time-out or otherwise force you to start over at least for 24 hours of more. That is the one positive thing I will say about this process.

• Like 2

"National – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O’Cha yesterday, November 7th, has ordered relevant Thai agencies to improve the “Thailand Pass” system after multiple applicants reportedly did not receive the QR Code for checking in."

...and while they are at it, can they remove the requirement for health insurance for All residents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Why? Things worked much better for everyone without it.

I think intentionally it was meant to facilitate things , not to make it more difficult ... but the lack of knowledge in this domain lead to the opposite ...

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 2