Chula history professor says the university failed her after being sued for approving a thesis

webfact

There are dangers for academics in both accepting and rejecting,  written works for publication.

Threats and retaliation are abound here....so many people cannot accept their work is not to standard....and now, a personal objection from someone will end in the courts!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Is any political party here going to try and change this defamation law? It would definitely make the party seem more corruption free If so. 

Currently, Move Forward [or whatever they're called now] is subtly promoting as part of their dogma. 

And, of course, numerous loosely organized activists have been using it as their principle mantra forever. 

29 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Currently, Move Forward [or whatever they're called now] is subtly promoting as part of their dogma. 

And, of course, numerous loosely organized activists have been using it as their principle mantra forever. 

Ha! Loose talk costs lives.

25 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Here it's taken as one and the same. 

Thai way.

Not sure about that. For a good resume on the defamation laws and how they are used in Thailand, Google this:

Impact of Defamation Law

on Freedom of Expression in Thailand

Edited by bradiston
Replaced link with file name
  • Like 1

Those getting sued don't have much hope, but they can organize a coup and takeover the nation without fear of legal problems. Once their generals are in power, they can have their trial their way with their courts if they want. Signing off on a thesis is a lot more legally risky in Thailand than taking over the nation using the military.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The other four defendants including thesis writer Nattapol Chai­ching who wrote two books and a thesis that the plaintiff claimed were misleading and damaged the reputation of her grandfather.

Oh, those defamation laws and keeping face. I always thought that a thesis could be challenged and disputed, especially at university level. Even it was acknowledged several years ago, doesn't mean that new information - or a different view on history - can't come up. What's wrong with for example looking into facts and theories about “Thai Politics in Phibun’s Government under the US World Order (1948–1957)”, perhaps there are something we understand better now in the always unbearably bright light of hindsight?

It is usual in Thailand for universities to maintain the copyright on students' and faculty members' published work. I'll bet Chula owns control of this thesis already. They can restrict, ban, or revoke it if they want to. Wouldn't be surprised to see the writer of the thesis have his degree revoked.

Edited by John Drake

Universitys, worldwide, are a business, which is the main reason they encourage high fee paying foreign students.

A certain university in my country   recently   sought, and employed  a firm to investigate   as to why so many of their lecturing staff, on not particularly high  salaries, were able to afford  to own Mercedes Benz,  BMW and the like motor vehicles,  have expensive homes, and lived a rather lavish life style  .

I know, in my  day as a student    the  common joke amongst the  students, particularly the females, was "its a lay for an A",

while us poor  males had to  pay up  or else  forgo any life and just study, study, study. and hope for the best.

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It is usual in Thailand for universities to maintain the copyright on students' and faculty members' published work. I'll bet Chula owns control of this thesis already. They can restrict, ban, or revoke it if they want to. Wouldn't be surprised to see the writer of the thesis have his degree revoked.

It doesn't happen often. It seems it only happened once.

https://www.universityworldnews.com/post.php?story=20131031161316390

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

I always thought that a thesis could be challenged and disputed, especially at university level.

That's not apposite to a Thai defamation case and has nothing to do with academic "disputation"

In this case there are five defendants in a court of law ..

1 for writing a thesis

4.For approving or passing it.

How can you do your job with the ever present fear of a defamation case looming over your head?

In a country that is so far behind the curve, educationally speaking, this form of tyranny has kept Thailand in check for many a long year.

Edited by Odysseus123