Blood Pressure

rott

Just on an initial course of two weeks tablets for the BP (156/88), but seeing that blueberries and strawberries are touted as a quick fix for lowering it. 

Is this just click bait.? If genuine it sounds interesting but they ain't cheap so how much would you need to get through daily to have any effect.?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

BP tablets are only one or two baht each and they could save your life or stop you having a stroke. Why mess with that?

Unfortunately, alcohol does have a negative effect on BP. Try reducing down from 6 large bottles of Chang a day to 5 bottles.  ???? 

What name of blood pressure medicine have you heard is most used or prescribed if any?

5 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

What did your quack do to diagnose high blood pressure? My BP is ALWAYS in the 150/95 range at hospital. At home it's <= 125/80.

I always find the first reading is way high 136/90.........if I take the average of the next three it drops to 120/80......very odd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

BP tablets are only one or two baht each and they could save your life or stop you having a stroke. Why mess with that?

A lot of blood pressure medication has now  been found to have unwanted side effects :

Blood pressure medications can lead to increased risk of stroke

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150529193554.htm

2 types that it might be better to avoid :

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-you-want-to-avoid-2-types-of-blood-pressure-meds

A medical practitioner should be consulted before taking any medication.  Obviously , it is important to find out what is causing the high blood pressure but lifestyle changes try to address the underlying causes rather than giving medication to treat the effects of poor lifestyle choices that might be causing high blood pressure.

From first link :

"You're in as much trouble by the time you are on three medications that achieve excellent control as you are when you have hypertension and it is untreated, which is amazing," Howard said. "We want to raise the issue that, despite great advances in a pharmaceutical approach, relying solely on this approach is going to come at a dear price of people's lives."

The way to curb the problem, Howard says, is to prevent hypertension in the first place. There are a number of proven approaches to prevent or greatly delay the development of hypertension including: 1) taking part in moderate physical activity, 2) keeping weight in normal rages, 3) reducing salt intake, and 4) eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and reduced in saturated and total fat.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Denim said:

A lot of blood pressure medication has now  been found to have unwanted side effects :

Blood pressure medications can lead to increased risk of stroke

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150529193554.htm

2 types that it might be better to avoid :

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-you-want-to-avoid-2-types-of-blood-pressure-meds

A medical practitioner should be consulted before taking any medication.  Obviously , it is important to find out what is causing the high blood pressure but lifestyle changes try to address the underlying causes rather than giving medication to treat the effects of poor lifestyle choices that might be causing high blood pressure.

From first link :

"You're in as much trouble by the time you are on three medications that achieve excellent control as you are when you have hypertension and it is untreated, which is amazing," Howard said. "We want to raise the issue that, despite great advances in a pharmaceutical approach, relying solely on this approach is going to come at a dear price of people's lives."

The way to curb the problem, Howard says, is to prevent hypertension in the first place. There are a number of proven approaches to prevent or greatly delay the development of hypertension including: 1) taking part in moderate physical activity, 2) keeping weight in normal rages, 3) reducing salt intake, and 4) eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and reduced in saturated and total fat.

What a load of old flannel! Of course you should see a Doctor and if he prescribes medicine then take it. 

• Sad 2

Unfortunately, alcohol does have a negative effect on BP. Try reducing down from 6 large bottles of Chang a day to 5 bottles.  ???? 

If I ever drank 6 large bottles of anything I would probably be in bed for a week. Never been a Chang drinker anyway. But thank you for your well intentioned contribution. 

I already take a statin, an omeprazole and an anti-histamine, now with the addition of three a day I was looking at ways of reducing them. I am aware of their health benefits and not really aware of how cheap they are, but just don't like taking pills.

Exercise has for a while not been the option it used to be. 

Never needed pills for most of my life but that was then and this is now. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have found that a glass of red in the evening actually LOWERS my night time BP which I take myself every night & morning. Don't know about the effect of exercise.......cos I do not indulge!   LOL

Amlodepine 5mg, baby Apirin & Bestatin do the job, average morning is 125/73 and evening 120/70. 74 years old.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I always find the first reading is way high 136/90.........if I take the average of the next three it drops to 120/80......very odd.

You're doing very well, unless you're only 25. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

makro sells cheap frozen large packs of strawberries or blueberries or some mixed fruit which can be blended for healthy fruitshakes. absolutely no harm done.

7 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

makro sells cheap frozen large packs of strawberries or blueberries or some mixed fruit which can be blended for healthy fruitshakes. absolutely no harm done.

And good for making Vino, which will/may lower you BP  (just to stay on topic) LOL

Edited by KannikaP

19 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

That's not high blood pressure! It's normal for a man in his 60's.

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Will B Good,  Is that what they call "White Coat Syndrome"? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

Please be careful, Rott.

"Hey Doc, the Amlodipine has given me ankle edema."

So, the good doctor prescribes a water tablet to treat the edema

But then the water tablet gives the patient headaches. 

So, the good doctor prescribes co-proxamol to help ease the head pain. 

But then the coproxamol gives the patient constipation. 

So, the good doctor prescribes lactulose to help him poop.

And so it goes on, always treatments over cure. See, many older folks start with a single condition like in this example. But before too long, they've got a Monday–Sunday pill box stuffed with all sorts.

"The third most common cause of death after heart disease and cancer is prescribed medications ~ Dr. Aseem Malhotra, Consultant Cardiologist."

Stubby

Thank you for your concern and advice Stubby. 

Funny you should mention edema I had it on my left foot one time. Looked it up on Google and the advice was to lie with the affected bit raised. I did this for about 4 hours which cleared it up. Never had the problem before or since. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raptorea said:

What name of blood pressure medicine have you heard is most used or prescribed if any?

I'm taking enalaril and never had issues for fifteen years. I did research and asked for it. Didn't want diuretic and lose water peeing in hot climate. It's been fine for me.

Edited by Chad3000

I have been regular consumer of EEVO(Extra Virgin Olive Oil) for over 25 years.  I combined that with intense cardio with moderate weight training and a low fat diet.  This has yielded a consistent 115/75. One bio indicator that we all can check is heart rate.  The ideal is 60 or less bpm.  I do not have a BP machine and I check my pulse several times a day.