House purchase

When i retire to Thailand (hopefully) next year i will buy a house, is it best to buy in a gated community? is the security worth it?

As i want my own pool there is no advantage to me of a community pool

So will the monthly charge be worth it? Are there any advantages im not seeing?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Boyn said:

Thanks for answering guys, it seems that a gated community is not that great

May I ask in what area you are considering buying a home? 

It would make a difference , as certain areas in Thailand are better regulated than others, and if you are in an area that is not regulated well, then it would be better in a gated community where you have some protections and cervices from the management.  

• Like 2

As has been said, there are pros and cons. Search the forum for something like 'neighbours parking in front of my gate' or just 'parking problems'. Thais are generally an inconsiderate bunch, especially when it comes to parking. Hey, they pay road tax so that must mean they own the road and can park anywhere. Some of them also seem to enjoy winding up foreigners just for the fun of it. If you have a stand-alone place then you're pretty much on your own when this sort of problem happens (it can be many things, of course, like loud music, burning rubbish, noisy dogs barking at night, and so on, not just parking). At least in a gated community with a decent management and committee you'll have someone to help you deal with the situation. Just remember what short fuses some of these young Thai men can have, and they don't take it well if they feel they may lose face to a farang. If you happen to be well-connected with a brother-in-law who's a senior officer in the local police, then there's no need to worry, but that's not common. If your wife is sure she can deal with these situations, then buy stand-alone, but if you worry about feeling vulnerable at all, and possibly a bit alone when these situations arise, it's best to seek safety in a gated community. And if you're staying here for more than a few years, then definitely buy, only an idiot would rent here for more than that length of time. I've owned my house for more than 10 years and have already saved over half of what it cost me by not having to pay 30K Baht a month to some stranger. Good luck with it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fredscats said:

Few disadvantages,but big ones

Depends on where in Thailand that you want to live and the depth of your pockets.  Make sure the 'gated community' still has the guard(s) at the gate(s) most likely advertised when the community was built, many don't  And, where would you find one with enough land for your own pool?  Maybe try a residence at a local golf course?  Not cheap but typically have gate guards and adequate land space for a pool and more.  Golf membership and health club may come with the home purchase if so inclined.

I lived in a gated community in Chiang Mai, which was great, people very friendly, the sois and swimming pool kept clean and tidy. If you ever wanted to sell could well be easier in a gated community, could be more tricky with house on families land

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Via a company.  You need 3 shareholders.  My other 2 are my wife and her mother.

You can buy a house in your name, but cannot own the land.
There are foreigners who do so, and lease the land with a formally registered lease.
Depends on age, how long you think of staying, what your future plans are, etc.

If you are new to Thailand and not lived yet here for long,
then i fully agree with others who are suggesting that you rent somewhere first and get to know places and areas.

• Like 2

If you have to ask PLEASE rent first.

1: Is it the right place (Bangkok/Hua Hin/Cha Am/Chiangmai/ etc.)

2: After 1/ 2 years do I even want to stay in Thailand.

3: Your purchased house will be Very hard to sell (last one took me 2 years!)

4: Take your time there is no hurry and you will not loose money.

Best of luck.

I always thought gated and brought a house in a gated compound

Its all fine however i have a few friends in stand alone houses, which are fine as well and not to mention you get a lot more for your money just need extra security measures in place such as window and door metal frame security CCTV etc and to check the neighbourhood out thoroughly before committing, like rent a place first in the same street to check if or if not there are nutters living there saying that it gos for gated compounds as well some of them can be a nightmare with dogs and the like

I have been in Thailand for 31 years.  I have mixed feeling about it … that my Thai wife does not share.  I know you did not ask for advice but can I suggest that rather than dive in and buy a house (which is not as simple as it seems) that you rent a house or condo in the area you plan to live.  The Thai government goes out of their way to raise barriers and create complications for foreigners that want to live here …. you will want to go into this with both eyes wide open.  Thailand is mostly a fun holiday destination, living here is no holiday.  Like anywhere there is good and bad. Anyway, suggest you first rent and during this time you can get a feel for the country and location you have chosen to see if it’s a “fit” and assess the rough patches in the road that you will be hitting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would only buy in a gated project, which my partner and I just did this year.   We have good security. the houses around us are all established, and, as others have said, no pig farms opening up next door.  We like being in a community and having neighbors that look out for each other.  The community fees are reasonable.  We have our own pool but don't mind supporting the community pool--we might use it sometime.  We like that the project we selected has been around for about 18 years and we could see that it was being maintained, and the houses were being maintained by their owners.   

• Like 2

There are advantages to a gated community depending on location.  I’m in Chiang Rai and live in a gated community.  The pool here is connected to the community but is owned by ab outside person so member#hip is optional.  We bought a large lot and put in a private pool. We have very few regulations so remodeling is easy.  Our guards are changed every 6 months so they don’t get lazy.  Our fee is reasonable.  We have an owners committee which does a good job in handling issues plus membership rotates so that fresh ideas are heard.  My Thai wife would ni5 live outside of a gated community because of security concerns.

• Like 1

I have a house that is in a Thai village, no gated community in site. Security isnt a problem, as neighbours keep an eye on the house when we arent there. I have never been burgled, nor felt unsafe. The neighbours are great, very friendly as is the whole village. I have no need of a pool, and I cant think of anything a gated community may have that I need. Yes, the land/house is owned by my wife, but we have been together for nearly 40 years, so I doubt I will be kicked out.

• Like 1