Bangkok to crackdown on rule breaking motorcyclists from Monday

webfact

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

Damrongsak said that the authorities will be looking for motorcyclists going the wrong way down roads (fines of 500 baht can be levied for this), going through red lights (1,000 baht) and using the footpaths and sidewalks for riding and parking (400 - 1000 baht).

In addition riders weaving in and out dangerously - almost a capital wide "sport" in 2020/2021 - will face fines of 400 - 1,000 baht.

These paltry fines won't be a deterrent to anyone.

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

Very few police have been doing anything about bikers on the streets who have felt almost immune from sanctions during the pandemic.

That's how it was before the pandemic and that's how it will be and there isn't much the police can do about it.. they can try but those guys are like cockroaches, you shoo them from here they will appear elsewhere tomorrow...

28 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

These paltry fines won't be a deterrent to anyone.

1,000 or even 400 Baht may well be paltry to you and I but for those toiling long hours for just a few hundred Baht a day they most certainly are not.

The problem with the fines is not the amount but rather that the lack of enforcement and dismal collection rates has removed any deterrent effect. If there really was a strict crackdown it would, IMHO, result in a fairly swift change in behaviour for many.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

1,000 or even 400 Baht may well be paltry to you and I but for those toiling long hours for just a few hundred Baht a day they most certainly are not.

The problem with the fines is not the amount but rather that the lack of enforcement and dismal collection rates has removed any deterrent effect. If there really was a strict crackdown it would, IMHO, result in a fairly swift change in behaviour for many.

I have always thought fines should be a % of income or estimated wealth (can of worms I guess trying to assess that in many cases though).

Pointless fining a Tory MP £10,000, yet financially crippling to fine a nurse £1000.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the authorities will be looking for motorcyclists going the wrong way down roads, going through red lights and using the footpaths and sidewalks for riding and parking

Well, if you really, really look you will find them. It involves setting foot outside the station.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

ASEAN NOW notes that riders of these companies - everywhere on the streets of the Thai capital - have led the way in what has been a free for all by motorcyclists in the last couple of years.

It's always been a free-for-all, and not just the delivery riders.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

In recent years 40,000 motorcyclists have been prosecuted since 2018 and fined 44 million baht for sidewalk parking and riding offences. 

Yet it still continues?

While filling the police coffers this doesn't stop a damned thing.

Maybe another approach is needed.

Take away every illegal m/c, those not registered, not insured, riders with no license.  Return them when the fine is paid.  Crush every m/c if the fine is not paid in 3 days.  Give the arresting officer a bous of 500B for every m/c he stops.

• Thanks 1

Wait a minute…..  Take a deep breath and let it out slowly.  Now, picture me running down a road towards the horizon while I’m laughing uncontrollably at the prospect of ANY “crackdown” on motorcycles in Bangkok of all places!  55555555555555555555555!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Robin said:

Give the arresting officer a bonus of 500B for every m/c he stops.

Ah, but that pre-supposes that the 'arresting officer' is not a crim himself. After all, some ride their police motorbike when not in uniform or on duty. I have seen some without helmets, riding the wrong way, they seem to be afflicted with the Thai way of doing things.

Now let's think about this statement, how long is this 'crackdown' gonna last ? 1 hour, 1 day or one week, I don't really see it getting much past 12 hrs, what are your thoughts ?

Most crackdowns are forgotten about more or less as the words are spoken. ????????

• Like 1

More of a "cracks me up" laughing then a "crack down" on lawbreakers.

I walk along the cycle (bike, not motor) / walking path every day on Pradit Manutham Rd, Wang Thonglang, Bangkok,

It's like dodgems, just full of crazy motorbikes up and down the walkway / cycle way all morning.

Nothing will change on Monday, it will be motorbike business as normal!

A lot of typical toothless government hot air.

• Like 1