Banking crisis?

2 hours ago, snowgard said:

I not understand that people who live long time in Thailand never learn how things run here.

If someone stole my money from my bank account, I report it immedialy to the police.

If the bank who I (with witnesses) also informed about this crime not react, I will inform the press.

After this everything will run smooth and easy.

BUT I HAVE TO REPORT IT TO THE POLICE BECAUSE IT'S MY BANK ACCOUNT AND MY MONEY. 

I am also sure the bank will have informed me about this. This is the same procedere as in the most countries.

Yes, but Thailand is not most countries. How many other countries in the world have an illegal government apart from Burma?

• Sad 2

On 11/15/2021 at 8:14 AM, darksidedog said:

To answer those above questioning this, every transaction went to one of numerous overseas accounts.

Not sure what you are on about. He takes out 40K once a month. 500,000 went missing, not the same amounts at all.

I am a moderator, I do not print fabricated stories. I have seen the bank book. Once a month for years 2 X 20K cash withdrawn, nothing else. Then a few weeks back hundreds of payments to foreign accounts which continued until the account was empty.

My mate is a lovely guy and honest as the day is long, though not smart enough to commit cyber crime.

My biggest concern is the attitude of the bank. Really couldn't care less. Didn't spot unusual activity, which would have has a UK account frozen in no time.

whats the story on insurance? Aren't bank deposits insured, up to a fairly decent amount, but definitely in excess of 500k.?

4 hours ago, worrab said:

The other day I went into my local Bangkok Bank to arrange the statements ready for my extension of stay application. She put my account book, which is only for the 800,000k amount but always has a bit more to allow for bank charges etc, through for an update and gave it back to me. There had been an interest payment and tax paid on it. This distracted us as only farangs pay tax on interest and it was not until a couple of days later I noted there had been a number of withdrawals. 7 in total spread over 2 days but only for paltry amounts between 33 and 36 baht. I went back to the Bank and pointed this out and immediately she knew what had happened.

Apparently these hackers only go for small amounts so as to not alert the banks but luckily the banks are now aware of this and stopped my card after the 7th transaction. Many people, she was telling me, had numerous small transactions, 20 or 30, like this, then multiply that by all the Thai banks and very large sums of money were accumulated by the gang.

I have been reassured that this problem with security has been resolved. I was given a new card and the money is being repaid to that account. 

I will just add to this that I have a SMS alert on the other account but not this one for Immigration. Costs would be 30 baht a month and that will alert for even a withdrawal of 1 baht!! Worth doing I reckon.

Interesting. BB told me they do not have this kind of thing when I suggested it to them after reporting some funds missing from spurious ATM transactions. Can I do it from the website (had a look but couldnt see it on the bualuang site) or do I have to go in to the branch to activate it? 

1 hour ago, damian said:

Interesting. BB told me they do not have this kind of thing when I suggested it to them after reporting some funds missing from spurious ATM transactions. Can I do it from the website (had a look but couldnt see it on the bualuang site) or do I have to go in to the branch to activate it? 

You can do it from the banking app.

At Bangkok bank when I went in to get my mastercard debit card unblocked (they blocked cards recently due to fraud), they suggested I open a second savings account (with no atm card) to hold the bulk of my funds. I now use my first account for payments/withdrawals and keep a balance below 150k.. There was no charge. I added the second account to the mobile app so I can make transfers if I needed. Given the risks of fraud etc readers may consider reducing their exposure via this method.

8 hours ago, fdsa said:

and press will not react because of defamation laws ????

Nonsens!!! Do you never read the news?

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/10/18/skimming-scam-impacts-thousands-of-accounts/
https://kr-asia.com/thai-police-probe-online-bank-fraud-that-affected-40000-people

and much more posts you can find with google!!!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 12:06 AM, couchpotato said:

A very good friend of mine I have known here over a dozen years has just had around 500,000 cleared out of his account in such a manner over a two week period. 

The individual amounts were insufficient to send him an sms each time but accumulated

Sorry this is a fabricated story or the guy is lying.

You do realise that 500k over a 14 day period, is 35,700 baht a day, and we are expected to believe nobody noticed it, or the bank wouldn't investigate big sums like that, and that 35k a day is to small of an amount to send an SMS. 

Come on....????

It happens.... I was having on average 1 33 THB transaction a minute a few months back on my credit card... 

With so many transactions, these little charges just go through without you realising, i for instance use my credit card constantly, only recently started carrying a little cash around with me, after experiencing what a lot of people are now experiencing, i ended up freezing the card for a month (contacting Google, who did diddly squat) and then unfroze it, not noticed any since.

In my case i seemed to have some 6xx THB charges, and numerous 3x THB charges, and i mean constantly.

I don't use Google in any capacity these days, so it was a bit of a shock a few months in when i looked and kept seeing the same name. 

Apparently Google is an ideal charge point for these schemes, utilising 'darks' then moving the funds into banks.

I've blurred out a lot of the content (identifying reasons), but to give you an idea, when you live almost entirely utilising plastic which represents your balances, nearly all costs are payed against a card, observing for minuscule charges is impossible, and in my case it was when they started doing one every minute for 7hrs in a day before i froze it, they kinda turned up the heat because I wasn't doing anything nor noticing it (who sits there reading their balance(s) or statements, in all honesty).

Bank resolved the issue(s) and I will say they've stepped up their observations as they froze my card last week (first time in a decade) and asked me to call them (thought, what the <deleted> have i done?), where they asked if i had made a charge, confirmed i had, immediately unfrozen...

So they are watching and fixing... 

4E2CA418-96F5-499A-9EF6-ABDCBE0CAEC8.png

07EF9B88-63D2-4A28-AF27-40092E56E229.png

59515E46-3B47-475F-9803-B6CCC1AEF36E.png

8052516D-401F-4559-B5F6-C10857A48243.png

A5644AF9-8C48-4876-B54C-7D565B2B7691.png

D59D6122-ED9B-4C02-AA66-D201BCBC583E.png

F1896A1F-196C-4CDF-BFDB-A17BCA1C0928.png

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, worrab said:

Apparently these hackers only go for small amounts so as to not alert the banks but luckily the banks are now aware of this and stopped my card after the 7th transaction. Many people, she was telling me, had numerous small transactions, 20 or 30, like this, then multiply that by all the Thai banks and very large sums of money were accumulated by the gang.

Approximately when did this stop happening?

There must be something 'in common' linking all these accounts which will reveal where the card information linked.

For example it might be a single store (online or offline) which had its systems hacked. They're not supposed to store all card details forever but I have to wonder how strictly these regulations are followed.

If someone hacked say a well known supermarket which stored all card details then there would be potentiall hundreds of thousands or millions of card details on file.

I once worked on such a back end system used by some larger supermarket chains years back (literally 30 years ago), in fact I wrote the program that received all the credit card details from the checkout network and converted them one format into another for processing by the back end system.

As this was so long ago and pretty much before the internet was used by anyone outside of universities the level of security was non existent, all the details were stored in a database on a Unix server at each stores branch. I'm sure things have changed a bit since then but this is an example of how things can leak and where they could leak from. It could be literally anywhere and the problem might not have originated at a bank itself.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, blackprince said:

The moral of this story is to pay the tiny fee for the sms service.

These notify you immediately of any movements in or out, even of tiny adjustments of a few baht which are incurrred due to forex adjustments for online international payments.

If I recall well it's 20bath a month with BB, and every Monday morning they send an SMS with the account balance, which I'm of course rarely notice, as I'm abroad and my Sim-card is in flight modus. ;D.

I have no Internet banking as that I would know, but I was able to link my card to Line RabbitPay, to keep my Simcard alive, 10bath/transaction. Can't remember that they send a message for such a small amount. Might need to check that next time. Gladly I left with only 10K in my account left, so I can sleep well at night.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, darksidedog said:

good friend of mine

am interested to know the experiences of other farang who have had anything similar happen and the response they have had.

Looks like this good friend of yours may be telling porkies, apart from the usual refunds nothing similar.

11 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

F1896A1F-196C-4CDF-BFDB-A17BCA1C0928.png

intredasting... Given the huge amount of Thais facing the same issue it might be some popular local "app" infected with malware (LINE? Morchana?), or some local shop hacked and its credit cards database leaked (Lazada? Makro?)

Is your phone Android or iOS? on which local websites you have used your credit card? In which local stores you have paid by credit card?

If anyone else had similar micro-payments then please answer these questions too.

Edited by fdsa

1 minute ago, fdsa said:

intredasting... Given the huge amount of Thais facing the same issue it might be some popular local "app" infected with malware (LINE? Morchana?), or some local shop hacked and its credit cards database leaked (Lazada? Makro?)

Whoever they are they are 'clever' and should be tracked and made to write apps for Thai government.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, paddypower said:

whats the story on insurance? Aren't bank deposits insured, up to a fairly decent amount, but definitely in excess of 500k.?

There's a big difference between deposits being insured in the case of a bank going to the wall and irregular transactions on individuals' accounts.    In the case of the latter, fraudulent transactions are usually corrected/reversed by the bank.

6 hours ago, jethro69 said:

If I recall well it's 20bath a month with BB, and every Monday morning they send an SMS with the account balance, which I'm of course rarely notice, as I'm abroad and my Sim-card is in flight modus. ;D.

I have no Internet banking as that I would know, but I was able to link my card to Line RabbitPay, to keep my Simcard alive, 10bath/transaction. Can't remember that they send a message for such a small amount. Might need to check that next time. Gladly I left with only 10K in my account left, so I can sleep well at night.

I just got my fee for it deducted by Kasikorn 199 baht a year for that sms service , works very good 

Edited by david555

23 hours ago, damian said:

To be notified of all transactions by SMS needs BBL's 'Super SMS' service.   It has to be applied for at a branch (any branch) and costs B30 pm.  

On Friday when after 3 weeks of asking

So this did not just happen (seems to have started at least 5 weeks ago but would help if you provided timeline) - when was the money taken is a very important factor - and did he report the loss to police?  This seems to be a normal requirement.

they responded by having him arrested and threatened with criminal defamation

Is he in jail or was he threatened and let go?

As said the loss has been huge nationwide and as it involves so many people expect resolving methods are not set up for such massive numbers.  Hope that your friends funds are returned soon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:
23 hours ago, damian said:

Expand  

You can do it from the banking app.

To be notified of all transactions by SMS needs BBL's 'Super SMS' service.   It has to be applied for at a branch (any branch) and costs B30 pm.  It is not available through the app.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

Is your phone Android or iOS? on which local websites you have used your credit card? In which local stores you have paid by credit card?

If anyone else had similar micro-payments then please answer these questions too.

"intredasting"? can I use that, I think it'll be the new HODL ????

ps. ????????????????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

Approximately when did this stop happening?

There must be something 'in common' linking all these accounts which will reveal where the card information linked.

For example it might be a single store (online or offline) which had its systems hacked. They're not supposed to store all card details forever but I have to wonder how strictly these regulations are followed.

If someone hacked say a well known supermarket which stored all card details then there would be potentiall hundreds of thousands or millions of card details on file.

I once worked on such a back end system used by some larger supermarket chains years back (literally 30 years ago), in fact I wrote the program that received all the credit card details from the checkout network and converted them one format into another for processing by the back end system.

As this was so long ago and pretty much before the internet was used by anyone outside of universities the level of security was non existent, all the details were stored in a database on a Unix server at each stores branch. I'm sure things have changed a bit since then but this is an example of how things can leak and where they could leak from. It could be literally anywhere and the problem might not have originated at a bank itself.

The card they hacked is linked to my "Immigration" account and I cannot remember the last time I used it. All she could tell me was the fact that all the banks in Thailand have now ramped up their security and everyone is getting repaid. The bank imposed a stop after there had been 7 transactions, so something alerted them to what was happening. The taking of money from accounts has actually been happening for quite a long time as I seem to be sure that this was mentioned possibly within this Forum.

I have no idea as to who was hacked in order to get the details of a card that I have not used for a year or more. In fact I did not even remember the 6 digit password required for it!! But all is sorted until the next time!! 

22 hours ago, Chicken Man said:

At Bangkok bank when I went in to get my mastercard debit card unblocked (they blocked cards recently due to fraud), they suggested I open a second savings account (with no atm card) to hold the bulk of my funds. I now use my first account for payments/withdrawals and keep a balance below 150k.. There was no charge. I added the second account to the mobile app so I can make transfers if I needed. Given the risks of fraud etc readers may consider reducing their exposure via this method.

I've been doing this for absolutely years with all my Thai bank accounts.

Surprised there are still folks out there that don't.

24 minutes ago, worrab said:

The card they hacked is linked to my "Immigration" account and I cannot remember the last time I used it.

wow. Have you ever used it online? Is it linked to your Google account (Play Market) or Apple ID (ITunes/App Store)?

I have no idea what has happened in this case but so far the only two banks I recall reading about here were KK and BBK. Although Banks usually have good security, as we have read, the internal alerting system was maybe less than ideal in some cases (hopefully improved now). Would not surprise me if the banks ATM password files(s) were hacked as the entry point for the theft, less likely but possible the files were sold on the hackers market. Thousands of credit card/ATM numbers, owners details, and passwords are available for sale online obtained from many different sources. Minimize your exposure.