Demerit point system for Thailand’s public transport drivers from Dec 1

webfact

For a minute there I misread the heading I said oh $hit, thinking that they were going to implement the demerit system here for all drivers as that has been the talk for a while.

I  then read the article and realised it was for taxi drivers and the like, then I said to myself, even if they implemented it for us mere mortal motor vehicle drivers/riders, who cares as driving without a license in Thailand is met with what I would call a cheap enough fine, so if I ever lost my licence or left it at home.....

Money GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

So, who reports theses violations? The drivers themselves? Surely not the boys in brown? 

Looks good on paper, but unless it is strictly implemented, all a bit pointless. 

Edited by djayz
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the system, each driver will be given 100 points and points will be deducted for each traffic violation committed by the driver. The number of points to be deducted vary, based on the severity of the violation or offence.

UK you get 12 points max... each offence remains on your licence for 3 years...

12 points you're off the road.

Thailand obviously isn't taking this very seriousl.

Public transport drivers license to get points on license for driving offenses

1pm.jpg

Thai Rath reported that the director of the Department of Land Transport (DLT) Jirut Wisanjit announced that public transport drivers of all sorts will get points deducted from their licences from December 1st. 

Bad driving will see them lose points and could eventually lead to temporary and even permanent suspensions. 

But finding out what penalties apply to what misdemeanors has proved difficult, notes ASEAN NOW. 

Though "damaging the image of the country" would be an instant ban. 

Thai Rath said it was all designed to make Thais better drivers, behave well and provide better public service when carrying people about.

It doesn't only apply to buses and coaches - it applies to taxis, tuk-tuks and motorcycle taxis too. 

Here's how it will work:

At the start every driver gets 100 points.

There are then categories for infractions that dock ten, twenty or thirty points depending on the seriousness of the offence.

Once a driver gets to "zero points" he will get a 90 day suspension.

More than two times in three years and that suspension would be 180 days. 

Serious rule breaking such as driving under the influence of drugs, driving while suspended, negligent driving causing death and injury or, heavens forbid, damaging the image of the country mean that you're done to zero in one fell swoop.

However, points can be regathered by doing training. Put in two hours training - and pass - and you'll get back 50 precious points. 

Put in four hours and you're back to the coveted 100 point limit. 

If you don't pass the training you get three more stabs at it in the next seven days. 

The DLT said you can't get more than 100 points - that's the limit. 

You can only apply for training to get points once a year. Those who have had their licences suspended can only do the four hour training. 

ASEAN NOW notes that drink driving was not mentioned in the body of the Thai Rath story. Intrigued, we followed the links to find out what infractions the 10,20 and 30 point reductions referred to.

Once directed to DLT on Facebook there is another link that takes you back to the DLT on Facebook.

Tired of this merry-go-round we tried the other link.

The link to the DLT website just says "404 Not Found".

A solitary poster on the Facebook page rather summed up the scheme suggesting it was complicated and on the face of it absurdly lenient.

That poster wanted the DLT just to throw the book at bad drivers and get them off the roads, notes ASEAN NOW.  

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-19

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information 
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

For a minute there I misread the heading I said oh $hit, thinking that they were going to implement the demerit system here for all drivers as that has been the talk for a while.

I  then read the article and realised it was for taxi drivers and the like, then I said to myself, even if they implemented it for us mere mortal motor vehicle drivers/riders, who cares as driving without a license in Thailand is met with what I would call a cheap enough fine, so if I ever lost my licence or left it at home.....

Money GIFs | Tenor

I thought I read an article that we all had a credit of points and if they all get used up you put some coins in an envelope and start again.

• Haha 2

Somebody else told to be seen to be doing something, so he comes up with a complicated set of penalties, i can as can many others from the more sensible countries sort this in one mornings session, 

Everytime you do something wrong you received points based on a tariff, 

3 points speeding 

3 points useing the gun under the seat and so on

with each infringement attracting a fine because that’s where it hurts, each infringement means you loose your licence until the fine is paid, get to say 12 points, you are off the road as a public service driver for 6 months, get caught driving when your licence is revoked is 6 months in the Hilton, if you are going to be serious with these things be serious and not faff about.

• Like 2

No they won't. No points taken off licenses. No one to stop them to take points off their license.

How you going to do that, huh? Plod going to get off their big fat shiny behinds and patrol the roads? 

Hah. 3 pickups and one lorry ran a red light this afternoon at the junction of the 24 and 221. Where were Plod, where are the red light cameras? Don't make me laugh.

Edited by Scott Tracy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

UK you get 12 points max... each offence remains on your licence for 3 years...

12 points you're off the road.

Thailand obviously isn't taking this very seriousl.

Not quite 'off the road' as this demonstrates...  https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9685045/There-46-motorists-UK-roads-30-POINTS.html

At least 46 drivers still driving with over 30 points and one with 68 - more than 5 times the so-called limit.

So all of you think this has to do with taxi drivers or driving in general. I really hope you’re right. You see, I am wondering where they got the idea for this point system. You’ll probably be aware of the social point system that operates in China for the purpose of controlling social behavior.  Whatever you think of Covid, it certainly has provided a vehicle for controlling societal behaviors worldwide.

So I’m wondering what social behavior might be next after driving?

12 hours ago, mrfill said:

Not quite 'off the road' as this demonstrates...  https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9685045/There-46-motorists-UK-roads-30-POINTS.html

At least 46 drivers still driving with over 30 points and one with 68 - more than 5 times the so-called limit.

"The DVLA checks with courts when a driver's 12 current penalty point threshold is met or exceeded but where a disqualification is not imposed at the time of the conviction.''

It seems the courts have sentenced/punished the drivers accordingly to the driving offence committed, which the driver has complied with.

However after the sentence/punishment has been served the "points" remain on the licence for up to 3 years.

The court takes each case into account and uses it's discretion as to disqualifying the driver or not.

The DVLA does challenge the courts to disqualify drivers, but does not have the final say.