Does Thailand genuinely welcome Farang?

1 hour ago, itsari said:

In that case my answer would be easy , girls girls girls 

That was your words .

So if they don't come for girls they come for viewing temples you say . More sadness 

If you want my opinion many men that do come here looking for girls as you put it had and have had  trouble finding a partner in there homeland .

I related my original post to the OP by suggesting a different title but we are going way off topic now and I have no intention of letting this spat dominate the OP.

I'd be happy to debate the matter further with you in a relevant thread - feel free to start one. You could make it a survey - I wonder how many men would be truthful and state why they came to Thaland for the first time?

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What a sad chap.

Previously found your posts reasonable.

IMO offensive post. Shows limited iq IMO.

i am sure there are many other things in life  more important to be offended about

• Like 1

We all know it’s a pain in the A$$ to have to regurgitate the same information year after year and how nice it would be to have “green card” system but that’s just not the way they do it here. There are a few solutions to your problem.

1. Leave

2. Grin and bear it

3. Cough up 15,000 Baht, problem solved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

We all know it’s a pain in the A$$ to have to regurgitate the same information year after year and how nice it would be to have “green card” system but that’s just not the way they do it here. There are a few solutions to your problem.

1. Leave

2. Grin and bear it

3. Cough up 15,000 Baht, problem solved.

15,000 for what? 

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"how long before they realise how much we contribute to the Thai Economy"

All the expats could leave tomorrow, and they wouldn't notice or care.  I'm always amazed at how important expats think they are to the economy of Thailand.  

The simple fact that it isn't easier (though easy enough) to live here shows, our lack of importance, or desire to have us.

You need to differentiate among farang who aren't even a rounding error vs those that, frankly, built Thailand.

FDI built Thailand. It isn't as if they developed any technology domestically. On their own, Thais were exporters of foodstuffs. After FDI came into the country in a big way, millions of jobs were created, tech transfer was massive, and the hi-sos were able to become hi-sos because of all the real estate built to house the companies and managers who came to lift Thailand into the 20th Century.

All the retirees and farang hubbies could leave tomorrow, and the impact would be minimal...certainly less than what Covid did to the economy. Where Thailand has to be careful is if they become less welcoming to FDI. Already some int'l corps have re-located to Vietnam, and others are considering it. Regional competition is going to force Thailand to make concessions...on taxes, streamlining the Immigration process for Non-B investor/business visas, etc. Alienate too many farang, and unemployment will become a problem the current leadership has to address---and there are not places for displaced workers to go, save for going retro and working on farms in ways that might even pre-date Cyrus McCormick. When expectations were more modest, UE was less of an issue, but now that the populace has higher expectation of financial well-being and an easier life, UE is a thorn in the side of any sitting Administration.

There is xenophobia in every country and culture. It's embedded in our genes. Thus, some will always notice the resentment a certain percentage of locals feel toward 'outsiders', and the greater the difference in physical appearance (e.g., a Japanese vs a Caucasian Brit), the greater likelihood that those prone to xenophobia might evidence resentment. A farang in Thailand isn't going to have it any worse than an Asian in the US---even a citizen of Asian descent in the Covid, "Kung-flu" error (who started that term?).

• Like 1

After 15 yrs, you'd think he would have had a map ready, as required for at least the last 5+ yrs.

20 yrs here, and I even put my paperwork in the order I notice they want (rearranged previously). Pay attention to the details. Only thing they have to do is pick which photos to glue to the paper.  All papers are already signed.  No passing back & forth.   Sign the photo pages & done.  He/she gets the 'stack', pages through, no re-shuffle ... smiles all around.  

yes i completed my 0/A extension  3 weeks ago, this year immigration required a different bank statement for my 800000 baht, had to be from head office  in Bangkok , and on return one week later with my new statement,   was asked for the first time  to draw a map where I lived .Re the past article about the health insurance, initially the receiving officer in my immigration office , after checking my documentation , told me i didin,t require those papers, later changing his mind   when my interviewing  officer asked,  and was subsequently  given the papers. Goal posts seem to be changing all the time. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, new2here said:

Do they welcome farang?

Yes, i think they do.

While i get that the latest IM visit didn’t go as expected, that, to me, isn’t a fair nor accurate measurement nor representation of how “welcoming” Thailand is.. or isn’t.

i say they are - only because they do offer a fairly broad range of visa classes that do legitimately cover a decent percentage of that situations a non-citizen may be.

As is with almost every country, Thailand does have its own nationally imposed internal selection criteria … those that they’d prefer… and …. those that they don’t… that, to me, isn’t all that unique to thailand… lots of countries do this by virtue of visa costs, eligibility requirements etc.

Yes, thailand could do more to make the process of coming to and remaining legally in thailand easier… very true… and that same could be said for many other countries as well.

in all, i can’t say that thailand is (IMHO) overtly UNwelcoming to non-citizens per se, but you will always find individuals who don’t perhaps showcase the most foreigner-friendly demeanor toward them, however that’s vastly different than a direct or even implied national policy of unwelcome them.

...us aliens appear stubborn and pedantic about simple processes..we question everything and want to know why all the time...this aggravates and upsets most Thais who think we should just do as we are told. After all, Thai people are happy to sit for hours 'n hours, and dont get agitated...if they complain or try to shame a person dealing with them, then they too are shunned and talked about. In the end the authorities hold the power. I think Thai government bodies are trying desperately to upgrade their systems, digitalise their systems, expand their databases, so just go with them...or use an agent.

• Like 1