Being gouged changing ticket Europe - BKK - CNX because of 1-day quarantine rules

We had booked tickets to fly from Europe (27 December) and then transit Suri-wotsit airport on the 28th and fly to Chiang Mai. Not possible now it seems - we have to get off in Bangkok, do the silly test and one nights (expensive) quarantine, and then check in AGAIN next day for a domestic flight to Chiang Mai. I was on the phone for more than half an hour trying to change the BKK-CNX flight - price of change - more than 10,000 baht for ONE person. While I was listening to their maddening and irritating music (and being charged for it) I did a quick Google search for a one-way flight for the same day - 3000 baht each.  So I booked two one-way tickets and politely told them where to put their charges. Now I have to explain when checking in "please please please do not send our bags to Chiang Mai". You would think the airline (a reputable one) would know it isn't possible to transit internationally anymore.

Anybody want two tickets Bangkok - Chiang Mai on the 28th? 

1 hour ago, nglodnig said:

Now I have to explain when checking in "please please please do not send our bags to Chiang Mai". You would think the airline (a reputable one) would know it isn't possible to transit internationally anymore.

Some airlines will refuse this (or refuse you boarding completely) as you tell them you are not intending on taking the full route - look up the term "skiplagging". Especially if your ticket is truly EUROPE-BKK-CNX as a single ticket. IF you have a return then the return legs would almost certainly be cancelled too. IF your tickets were bought separately you should be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarkey611 said:

Is it possible for you to name the airline? This will prevent a lot of other potential returnees from having the same problem.

Not sure if that would help.

I'm not up with the test and go rules. 

I was under impression that could be done in CM if the carrier was flying direct into CM.

Seems that's not the case.

If indeed it requires flight into Bangkok then so be it.

The comments about cost of flight change etc all bit irrelevant.

Budget flights flight change will cost more than new ticket.

The OP seems bit naive. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Clarkey611 said:

Is it possible for you to name the airline? This will prevent a lot of other potential returnees from having the same problem.

I'm pretty sure just about all airline companies charge extra when making flight changes after the ticket is paid for.  The key to avoid paying those fees is reading their cancelation policy before purchase.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I was under impression that could be done in CM if the carrier was flying direct into CM.

As far as I know there are no direct flights to CM via Bangkok. You can only get a flight to Bangkok and the the test and go before traveling to CM on a domestic flight.

There a some semi commercial flight (charter flights) into CM. In those cases the test and go is done in CM.

I think maybe some agent sold the OP some worthless tickets.

• Thanks 1

Your return legs will be automatically cancelled for not completing the full leg, all airlines are the same in this regards, it's nothing personal or to do with the reputation of the airlines. 

If it's a one way ticket and you somehow manage to be allowed to check-in and somehow are granted a thailand pass, this is all unlikely, but if it happens, then proceed through the health screening, and immigration and then at baggage claim tell them to retrieve your luggage.

Also, no one can just take your tickets for the last leg, that just not how it works, even if name change is permitted - highly unlikely - you cant break out each individual leg for resale.

Just pay the 14,000 imo preusming a difference of 7000 each for a couple

Edited by asiam110

You've discovered "hidden city ticketing" or "skiplagging" as mentioned above.  You won't get past check in with a CNX ticket and if you try to reprice it at check in it could be even more than you were asked for before.  Tell us the airline and someone might come up with something constructive, or it'll at least help others avoid falling into the same trap.

7 hours ago, Clarkey611 said:

Maybe it's irrelevant which airline he used.

When flying into Thailand you'll have to do at least a one night stopover due to testing.

Book a separate onward flight 24 hours after the original inbound flight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not sure if that would help.

I'm not up with the test and go rules. 

The comments about cost of flight change etc all bit irrelevant.

Budget flights flight change will cost more than new ticket.

The OP seems bit naive. 

Surely at the time of booking or more recently the airline would be well aware that the recent/current regulations don't allow the passengers to transit to another flight to CNX on arrival at Suvarnabhumi.

Further I'm wondering what airline this is, my first thoughts are that the only airline that could currently offer a full transit to Chiang Mai on arrival at Suvarnabhumi would be TG Thai International through their subsidiary Thai Smile, but immediate transfer now not possible because of the more recent 'Thailand Pass - Test and Go - 1 night quarantine' regulations.

Could be wrong of course but If this is correct TG should be realizing that the new/current regulations don't allow such a transfer and they must rearrange the booking. And hopefully that would automatically mean the luggage 'journey' would end at Suvarnabhumi airport.

I focus on TG for another reason, I need to fly Sydney to Suvarnabhumi then to CNX to get home to my family.  I called TG several time to try for clear answers to a couple of questions, never got any clear answers.

One e.g. "Is it true that by TG luggage policy the weight for non-motorized folding wheel chairs is outside of the check-in luggage allowance, therefore the wheelchair is carried at no charge to the passenger?"

First response - "Not correct - weight is included in the weight allowance, but passenger can buy extra luggage allowance".

Second call : The answer was exact opposite and the pleasant polite clear officer took me through where to find the actual policy.

I've since booked Singapore Airlines to Suvarnabhumi at a very good price and they do carry unmotorized folding wheelchairs at no cost to the passenger. When I get the PCR negative test report at the 1 night hotel I'll make a further (domestic) booking to CNX. 

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's Swiss Air (or whatever they call themselves) called again at the possibility of cancelling one segment (BKK->CNX) it is possible but a charge of nearly 3000 baht so plus the new air fare at the same price it is cheaper then their original 10,000 baht charge.

I've been doing this for over thirty years so I wouldn't call myself "naive" ???? but this is the first time my itinerary has been forced to change by government regulation, not by choice - but the airline submit that I am doing this "voluntarily".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

It's Swiss Air (or whatever they call themselves) called again at the possibility of cancelling one segment (BKK->CNX) it is possible but a charge of nearly 3000 baht so plus the new air fare at the same price it is cheaper then their original 10,000 baht charge.

I've been doing this for over thirty years so I wouldn't call myself "naive" ???? but this is the first time my itinerary has been forced to change by government regulation, not by choice - but the airline submit that I am doing this "voluntarily".

If the rules changed after you booked you might have leverage, however I don't believe transit to via BKK to CM for normal people has been permitted for 20 months.  The flight likely exists on the booking engines because its impossible for an airline to codify all possible permutations especially in these times, and there may be exceptions (special government permissions? diplomats?)

A charge of 3,000 I'd consider that a win

Edited by asiam110
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
8 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

You cannot really blame the Thai authorities nor the airline.

Think you summed it up accurately. Sometimes the truth hurts.

My comment was to highlight the charges I was being forced to pay far exceeding the cost of the actual BKK CNX flight (which I have found a solution to).

But seems there is a need to feel smug and judgemental in this audience. 

Contact the Airline (Swiss Air) - ask them if they will permit you to check in for your flight under Thailands current regulations (Requirement to do 1 night Test & Go AQ in Bangkok before onward travel). 

Theoretically - you should not even be able to board the flight: Thus the Airline will be forced to cancel your flight. 

---------

I had a not dissimilar issue last year with Qatar Airways. 

I purchased a ticket to fly into Bangkok but soon realised that they were not actually flight. 

All Qatar Airways flights were scheduled, but all cancelled a couple of days before the flight.

Qatar Airways were taking bookings for flights they knew wouldn’t flight.

I spoke with Qatar Airways a few times and tried to get past this. I asked them if the flight was still scheduled, the answer was always yes. 

I asked if yesterdays flight to Bangkok departed, no it was cancelled.

Tomorrow ? No, cancelled. The day after tomorrow, cancelled. The day after that, still scheduled. 

Qatar Airways were cancelling flights 2 days before departure.

IF I cancelled the flight I’d lose my money. IF Qatar Airways cancelled the flight I was due a full refund. 

Qatar Airways cancelled my flight, it took me 5 months to get my money back. 

I filed a complaint and compensation claim with ABTA, they agreed I had a case.

Qatar airways response was basically, take us to court for compensation - ABTA said they couldn’t push it any further. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

But seems there is a need to feel smug and judgemental in this audience.

Not at all. Glad you obtained a result that perhaps didn't cost you a lot.

However your situation and comments about airline charges etc imo were naive. That's not being smug or rude. It's fact.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

While no one can be ‘blamed’ the situation and conditions of entry have changed. 

Swiss Air have sold a ticket on a flight the passenger will not be permitted to board. 

Swiss Air will not allow the passenger to board with a ticket as Chiang Mai as a final destination, as its not a direct flight and his onward flight (likely a code share) will not permit him to board as he has not undergone 'test and go’.

Swiss Air have made the mistake in selling this ticket. 

OR, a travel agent has made a mistake in Selling the Op this ticket. 

What we have is either an agent or Swiss Air refusing to take responsibility for selling a ticket the Op cannot travel on. 

It isn't the responsibility of airline to check eligibility, and consider all permutations of travel, for example I can book today to go Australia, Hong Kong, or Taiwan, even select my seats, but there's no chance in hell I'm going to get a boarding pass and be allowed on the flight.  This applies to future booking too, I can take a big risk today and book a flight to Penang via KL for mid Jan, but as it stands its impossible route at the moment, maybe not 1st jan.

But anyway the Op has sorted it..  

Edited by asiam110

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

However your situation and comments about airline charges etc imo were naive. That's not being smug or rude. It's fact.

Except Swiss have a policy of NOT charging for changes, and I have changed the dates of this and another ticket many many times this year - AT NO CHARGE.  perhpas you don't know everything which causes you to label others incorrectly.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know there are no direct flights to CM via Bangkok. You can only get a flight to Bangkok and the the test and go before traveling to CM on a domestic flight.

There a some semi commercial flight (charter flights) into CM. In those cases the test and go is done in CM.

I think maybe some agent sold the OP some worthless tickets.

Correct I flew to BKK last week--did the test n go--success and flew vietjet to CNX the next day

Also a HUGE thanks to Ubon Joe for saving me on a my passport that I discovered exps in 4 months!

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

One e.g. "Is it true that by TG luggage policy the weight for non-motorized folding wheel chairs is outside of the check-in luggage allowance, therefore the wheelchair is carried at no charge to the passenger?"

First response - "Not correct - weight is included in the weight allowance, but passenger can buy extra luggage allowance".

Second call : The answer was exact opposite and the pleasant polite clear officer took me through where to find the actual policy.

I've since booked Singapore Airlines to Suvarnabhumi at a very good price and they do carry unmotorized folding wheelchairs at no cost to the passenger. When 

WHEELCHAIRS: I've brought several un-motorized folding wheelchairs over recent years with THAI Airways from LHR to BKK as donations. Not once was the weight checked. Just directed to oversize baggage drop-off (and each time arrived in perfect condition at BKK).

• Like 1

It does seem the OP has been sold a ticket for a route which cannot be flown in one go. I assume that the flight was only with Swissair as far as Bangkok, I'm sure they do not currently fly there - but maybe a code share. Does seem poor service to refuse a free ticket change (subject to new flight being the same price), all the international airlines I have checked have offered this service during the pandemic. I changed my flight date for free when i came to Thailand 3 weeks ago.

Booking a through trip to a domestic airport in Thailand with a connection in Bangkok is anyway usually more expensive compared to flying to Bangkok and booking the domestic flight separately.

As another person said, many airlines during the pandemic would schedule flights which they intended to cancel, getting your money back is then time consuming - had this happen to me once earlier this year. I now always check to see if scheduled flights for the route/airline i intend to use actually fly or get cancelled, BEFORE i book.

A domestic last minute flight BKK CNX is only 750-1500 baht so not sure what the OP's problem is at all except that he now still over paid 3K total for 2 tickets lol. A positive test + asymptomatic quarantaine that insurance doesn't pay for would be a bigger concern to me in his/her case.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP seems a naive, inexperienced traveller who does not understand how airlines, especially cheap airlines work, are organized or make a profit.

Swiss is NOT cheap!  I used to work for an airline - and have made this trip at least annually for the last 25-30 years. But I'm not going to defend myself  against some anonymous know-it-all. Should have guessed judging by past experience the level of commenting on this forum. I have changed the dates on these tickets several times with no charge, now it becomes a stop-over and the charges appear.  

• Like 2