Scary Video: Back wheel comes loose from 22 wheeler and bounces all over Bang Na - Trat highway

webfact

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Owners need to be held responsible for the lack of maintenance on their vehicles... 

There are way to many dangerous vehicles waiting for brake failure or to skid off the road in wet conditions.... 

Bald tyres anyone - The drivers cannot be blamed they are simply too feckless and have no voice, its is the owners who are solely responsible for allowing these vehicles out on the roads...

This vehicle was clearly not road legal before it left whichever yard or factory it left... 

Nothing will be done, no one was killed, there is not enough netizen outrage to force an announcement of a ‘crack-down’ which of course wouldn’t take place anyway....  just like the yearly crack down on black smoke emitting vehicles. 

Thailand is simply too juvenile and the vast majority will only recognise the amusing side of this not the potential horror of what could have been... 

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 11.13.38.png

I agree with you Richard, but as you well know - Where are we .............????????????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, itsari said:

I don't understand how a car ran into the wheel as there was ample chance to slow down and avoid the runaway wheel .

But this is Thailand and the locals refuse to slow down for any reason.

I think the driver of the black Pajero thought he could ‘follow’ the runaway wheel, but it hit the wall and bounced awkwardly back towards the car rather than in the direction of its initial travel.... (thats what I see from the video anyway). 

But... as you mention, Thai drivers to tend to show a huge reluctance to slow down for any reason....   the driver of the black Pajero could have easily slowed more and earlier and given himself a lot more space - the damage to his own car is partially his fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, itsari said:

I don't understand how a car ran into the wheel as there was ample chance to slow down and avoid the runaway wheel .

But this is Thailand and the locals refuse to slow down for any reason.

When you’ve got one eye on your phone and other on the DVD playing it’s difficult to concentrate on driving as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was on Chalerm Maha Nakorn heading north the other morning. Seen the exact same thing happen one of them grossly overloaded pickups. Back wheel came of and bounced down the road in front of me. Hub was still attached so it had sheared off the axle. Pickup was nearly tipping over with its 15 foot high load. 

I find it odd that the two wheels remain bolted together, with all the wheelnuts present and showing. The hub and if present,  brake drum,  must have separated from the axle. One would think the handling of the truck might be affected slightly? Then again, one of the tyres was obviously about to shed what little tread remained, would that have been noticed? 

This is not unique to Thailand, a hefty fine for the driver for the tyre, and an unannounced visit to the operator by Vosa ( UK vehicle safety agency) who will ask all sorts of difficult questions, one being a request to see the maintenance records for said trailer, if every thing is not as it should be you can expect a trip to the traffic court, where fines and licences can be curtailed at worse or the number of vehicles on the licence reduced, which is not funny if you got heavy finance and you can’t use vehicles until all is in order, and then you will get many unannounced visits. 

• Like 1

Yes, I have seen some vehicles in Thailand that badly needed maintenance, but diod not

receive it.  There should be more inspections done to these big rigs, and the company owners 

should be fined for poor maintenance, but This Is Thailand so it will not happen.