Screws found in 2 of my tyres. Should I replace all 4?

davidst01

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but just a quickie (as the actress said to the bishop)

Ford Everest, April 2018 60000km on clock, is it the right time to change the tyres? The wife says yes (of course) but I'm not convinced, and really would rather not spend the coin right now...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but just a quickie (as the actress said to the bishop)

Ford Everest, April 2018 60000km on clock, is it the right time to change the tyres? The wife says yes (of course) but I'm not convinced, and really would rather not spend the coin right now...

If the tyre wear is even, not scrubbed on the shoulders, and not worn beyond the tread wear markers then they should be ok for now. 

60K clicks - wow! - you must drive much more sensibly than I do - my tyres are shot well before this.  I corner hard, so always wear my front tyres on their shoulders.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, G Rex said:

If the tyre wear is even, not scrubbed on the shoulders, and not worn beyond the tread wear markers then they should be ok for now. 

60K clicks - wow! - you must drive much more sensibly than I do - my tyres are shot well before this.  I corner hard, so always wear my front tyres on their shoulders.  

But maybe the tyres are shot? I'm really not an expert when it comes to detecting when tyres need replacing or not, but I suppose logically at 60k plus they will need changing in the not too distant?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

You mean after 4 yrs they should be changed regardless?

If the tyres are cracked due to long exposure to sun and heat, there is a case for this. 

I have a garaged vehicle with tyres that are 6 years old, and less than 10K wear on them. They are in good condition - and at 12k Baht (each) I will not be replacing them until it is necessary! (due to wear , rather than age). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Saanim said:

This is what I always hear in the tire shop when repairing a puncture by a screw. Wondering whether they don't have a hidden agenda? ????  

That's strange, I had a screw in the same rear tyre twice in one year, plugged both times at Maxxis, 150 baht each time, no mention of replacing tyre or tyres, purchased all 4 of them from them about 16 months ago.

I do know what you mean about some wanting to make money off of you prematurely, someone tried that with the battery, which lasted for another year, that was the 1st tyre guy I purchased my tyres off at 90,000 clicks, he didn't get repeat business from me did he ????

The above said, a farang told me that plugging the tyre/s back home is illegal and that I should replace the two rear tyres, I said <deleted>.

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.
  • Haha 1