Effectiveness of Pfizer vaccine against Omicron plummets, says Thai doctor - Sinovac study awaited

webfact

The vaccines don't protect you against the virus that is known for months, but only to protect you against death or severe illness. So 2 doses Pfizer are still doing their job by protecting 70% for severe illness. 

However many Thais got a mix of Sinopharm, Sinovac or Astra with 1 Pfizer and nobody knows if 1 Pfizer is strong enough in combination with something else to protect against severe illness. In Europe eldery people are vaccinated with 2 Pfizer or Moderna and they are given now a 3rd booster. But in Thailand if you got 1 Pfizer with something else and the booster is 2nd Pfizer are you than only vaccinated with 2 Pfizers or is the booster doing its job as in Europe/??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I'm sure Pfizer are already working on tweaking their vaccine to give better protection of new the variants.

And anyway, aren't the symptoms of Omicron supposed to be milder?

They are, one of the great benefit of mRNA vaccines being that their development cycle is much shorter. But we wont get any of the modified vaccines before Q2/2022.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

They are, one of the great benefit of mRNA vaccines being that their development cycle is much shorter. But we wont get any of the modified vaccines before Q2/2022.

The sad thing is that US and others had plenty of time to create production facilities for mRNA vaccine beyond what Pfizer and Moderna find rational from a business viewpoint. If the governments had done this, the world could have enough vaccine for boosters and give initial updated jabs for the unvaccinated as well. It's the only way to have a chance of ending this pandemic.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

How many have died? The governments don't seem to release this info. It's in 89 countries so the death rate is still 1 ???

The scientific advisors may well have it wrong, but if they haven't, who will carry the can?

Obviously the 600 - 6,000 a day.

The government’s SPI-M-O group of scientists, which reports to the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), also warned that, based on their modelling, hospitalisations could peak between 3,000 and 10,000 a day and deaths at between 600 and 6,000 a day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/18/uk-scientists-curbs-covid-infections-omicron-deaths-restrictions-sage

• Thanks 1

narrative slowly changing. Now it's "get fully vaxxed/you'll prolly get covid regardless (because the vaccs are experimental- nobody  really knows how effective they are or will be)/but, if you survive, you'll have 'super immunity!' Stand by for future developments.

Edited by thaivisareader
  • Sad 3

Originally vaccinated with two shots in June. Got my third shot on 30 September. Going to need this every three or four months? Every other month? Or go through the entire thing again when they retool for every new variation? I do not want to spend the rest of my life organizing everything around the next round of Covid shots. The world will be in lockdown for ever. 

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Originally vaccinated with two shots in June. Got my third shot on 30 September. Going to need this every three or four months? Every other month? Or go through the entire thing again when they retool for every new variation? I do not want to spend the rest of my life organizing everything around the next round of Covid shots. The world will be in lockdown for ever. 

I posted this on another thread:

The sad thing is that US and others had plenty of time to create production facilities for mRNA vaccine beyond what Pfizer and Moderna find rational from a business viewpoint. If the governments had done this, the world could have enough vaccine for boosters and give initial updated jabs for the unvaccinated as well. It's the only way to have a chance of ending this pandemic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, placnx said:

I posted this on another thread:

But, as far as I am aware, you just can't go around willy nilly and produce vaccines without the explicit go ahead from the patent holder of the vaccine, so if Pfizer & Moderna have not given said permission it's a no go.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Based on little more than selected studies and the source country where the vax is produced this has been panned by some as "Vaccine Snobbery".

Sinovac was ineffective against Delta.

Pfizer was over 90% effective against Delta.

Now we are talking about Omicron.

Pfizer is less effective against Omicron.

No data on Sinovac.

The Thai media said that further studies were being awaited as regards the likelihood of Sinovac vaccine also being less effective against Omicron. 

Yes, let's wait for that first.

Edited by ThLT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

showed that 2 doses of Pfizer offered only 33% protection against being infected with Covid-19.

And those two doses only gave 70% protection against developing severe illness

That's pretty solid protection.

Considering barely anyone has died from Omicron (with some unvaccinated). Unless you are 50+ years old or have health issues, 70% is basically complete protection against Omicron.

Edited by ThLT

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

How many have died? The governments don't seem to release this info. It's in 89 countries so the death rate is still 1 ???

Do some research,

UK reports 10,000 jump in Omicron cases, deaths rise to 7

https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/uk-reports-10-000-jump-in-omicron-cases-deaths-rise-to-7-121121800790_1.html

• Like 1