British man chased by Thai with a knife after he refuses to buy him a beer

webfact

3 hours ago, grain said:

Something for all the potential "quality tourists" to look forward to.

Alcohol is like a poison to some people. Once i knew a guy i worked with, a real nice guy married with two kids. So one day he asked me and a few work mates for a drink at a bar near work. After his second beer he wanted to fight everyone in the bar including me and his other work mates. We put him in my car and boy was he a handful, then i drove him home. The next day he asked us all again for drinks. And yes,  you could guess what we said to him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Someone asking you for a beer twenty times is not normal, is it? At least I wouldn't think so. And I certainly wouldn't tell a Thai to go home in his own soi if I was unsure of his sobriety or mental state. I would just lift my haunches off the curb and go home myself. Look at the video, the other Thai sitting with Jack at the curb knew there was going to be trouble and he cleared off.

Fair point, if someone is clearly unstable its best not to antagonise them. Your right about that did not really think about it but yes you are right. I was more thinking of pesky sellers of stuff that pester you and at some point you just tell them to stop. (polite) But yea that wont work with an unstable guy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Fair point, if someone is clearly unstable its best not to antagonise them.

There is a crazy guy in my village. He comes from a wealthy family that tries to keep him safely away from others. But sometimes he breaks out. And when he does, he likes to sit in front of the gate to my house for hours and hours. He also drags plants from my neighbors' sidewalks and encloses himself with them. Then, he starts to chain smoke. I have never confronted this man. He's crazy and you never know what a crazy person will do. I call my housekeeper, and she calls the family, and they come by and pick him up and restore everyone's plants to the proper place. Doing anything else only risks escalating the situation into a confrontation that I would lose. Sometimes it takes a while to settle things and get my gate unblocked. That's better than a blood feud with the family or a trip to the police station 100 meters away.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Sorry, I can't be bothered with you, you are projecting what is in your head without knowing anything about me or my experience of Thai people from all sectors of society/ observations over 25+ years. You are like these people who say it's absolutely fine to wander around big Brazilian cities after dark, which it is, until you have a problem, and that is why the locals beg you not to walk.

I specifically referenced people sitting around a bottle of whiskey as the type where it is probably best not to get involved, I think that went over your head.  You may be fine and have an enjoyable evening, but if you don't it could be serious.

'Could be' ..But 'A stranger is the friend you don't know'!

17 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

From the way some people talk on here.  Crime only happens in the Western countries, not here. .  This story must be some sort of mistake I guess.  

Eh?  From the way some people talk on here it seems more like crime doesn't happen in Western counties and only happens here!

• Confused 2

I have never and will never ever sit on the street and drinking in a soi at nigthtime.I prefer that  at my balcony with my lady as my companion even she dont drink.This video just shows how dangerous it can be.Better safe then sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, grain said:

Something for all the potential "quality tourists" to look forward to.

If he had been a well heeled 'quality tourist' he would have bought the nice Thai man a case of beer and all this commotion avoided.  And as a high ranking police officer said after a similar case years ago  "If the farang was not here in Thailand in the first place, none of this would have happened so the farang is at fault".

I am finally starting to comprehend Thai logic......maybe time to leave lol!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1