78 people killed on Thailand’s roads on Monday, 1,212 in December

webfact

9 minutes ago, pops1 said:

Is it true that if you don't die at the scene then your death is not counted in these figures? Eg you die at the hospital then it is not counted as death?

When you die at the hospital you will still be dead.

When you die at the hospital because of a traffic accident you are not counted as a traffic fatality.

These numbers are a lot higher then published.

I am sure some accidents in small villages are never reported,some one dead,drop him off at the temple and that is it?

• Like 1

Anything that is proposed to increase safety on the roads in Thailand, must be very easy to implement.

Helmets. What else is it proposed to implement, I seem to forget.

But it must not involve activity by police, must not disturb them while they enjoy a cigarette and a coffee on a roadside facility.

Must be easy to implement, very easy....

Definitely a lot of traffic up here in rural Issan.

Lots of motorcycles with broken lights.

Tractors going slow with no lights.

Its like a video game.

You definitely try to avoid driving at night up here!

• Like 2

The root of the problem lies with lack of proper driver training…

but those in charge of that discipline don’t believe there is a correlation between education/enforcement and accidents..,

the result is no system in place and people drive as individuals doing their own thing to benefit themselves and not driving as part of a leaned bigger system…

bottom line is road chaos and I hate it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

maybe time to stop worry about Covid and focus on this problem, cause, clearly, that's what kills people in Thailand

The  Administration is only interested in "Activity" that puts money into their pockets, people killed in Motorcycle accidents for whatever reason become a "Too bad too sad"  and that folks is as much as they care. Ask yourself, why has this useless loss of life been tolerated for, year after year after year, do that and you will come to the same conclusion that I did. "There is no profit to be made from those deaths" 

11 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Some simple measure may help, 

1 Enforce crash helmet all passengers on motor cycles, no helmet bike confiscated, sold no quibble on the spot, walk home.

Same bikes with no insurance or tax, may help get many poorly maintained bikes I see daily, some driven by kids who surely cannot have valid insurance?

2 For delinquent motorists bans for the rich, fines for the poor so act as a big disincentive. Lifetime bans for recidivists 3 strikes etc.

3 I know it's radical but prosecute those who pull cops to their death in Ferraris, this may prove a step to far as it seems permissable at present.

4 More roundabouts / traffic circles especially on major intersections where the U turn gamble often leads to smashes, I see so many pieces of shattered brake lights near junctions.

5 All traffic fines violations to be paid to nd at Provincial Hospital HQ to benefit the health system and stop officers pocketing the money. Offenders to do compulsory voluntary work one day a week in accident departments, sluice clean, wash floors, push gurneys etc.

6 Random stop check as in most states for documents give each officer a quota 3 a day etc., No fines payable on spot.

You make great points but way too much work for LE here.

18 hours ago, Robin said:

Driver training and police law enforcement.  Simple answers but too much for Thailand.

unfortunately it's not that simple.

Thailand has to adopt the "Safe System".

until Thailand makes a commitment to the idea that road deaths and casualties are not merely the result of poor driving, centrally relevant though that is, but of a transport system as a whole, from signage to road user education, from enforcement to infrastructure design and construction. The effect of this approach should be to raise standards and improve coordination, so that avoidable road deaths and injuries are reduced to an absolute minimum.

• Like 1

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post and the replies have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

A post with derogatory trolling comments has been removed. 

24 hour road accident report for 28/12/2021: 75 deaths and 3,355 injuries. Deaths include one child and two foreigners. 86% of the deaths were motorcyclists.

TOTAL FOR 2021: 13,464 deaths and 868,187 injuries #ThaiRoadSafety #RoadSafety #อุบัติเหตุ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1476337341836845059

3 hours ago, Sir Swagman said:

Last time I checked, having an accident, especially a fatal one, wasn't contagious. Why are people comparing Covid with road deaths? Talk about apples and oranges.......

Thais conform to the mask law but not much with the helmet law, It's a laugh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

TOTAL FOR 2021: 13,464 deaths and 868,187 injuries

Mostly young and healthy people.

COVID-19 OUTBREAK

TOTAL FOR 2 years Deaths: 21,672

Mostly old people.

Can you see any kon Thai ridind a motorcycle with helmet but without a face mask?

Moreover they think mask protects you from getting the flu lol

Thai logic is so logical.

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Definitely a lot of traffic up here in rural Issan.

Lots of motorcycles with broken lights.

Tractors going slow with no lights.

Its like a video game.

You definitely try to avoid driving at night up here!

Way up here I don't mind driving at night but I never go out on my motorbike at night , not even to the nearest 7/11 the other side of AH2 which is not even 1 k away.

The locals went from buffalo to Wave then to pickup , can be scary out there .

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:06 AM, RandiRona said:

And they are more worried about Omicron....

Came to Bkk yesterday from Hua Hin on a mini bus, saw a car on its side on the apposite side of the road that must have been 2pm  the road  tail back of cars must have been 5 kilometres. That was around 2 pm.Tuesday 29th/12.saw a number of motorcyclists all wearing masks but no safty helmet on. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Way up here I don't mind driving at night but I never go out on my motorbike at night , not even to the nearest 7/11 the other side of AH2 which is not even 1 k away.

The locals went from buffalo to Wave then to pickup , can be scary out there .

Yes.

Much safer in a car.

I've got a nice Yamaha Aero.  Barely use it.  Nice to putter around the village.

5 hours ago, Sir Swagman said:

Last time I checked, having an accident, especially a fatal one, wasn't contagious. Why are people comparing Covid with road deaths? Talk about apples and oranges.......

Because there’s a comparator between the resources and effort expended on mitigating Covid deaths vs the lesser effort on the much more serious road deaths statistics which are with us each and every year. So relevance,yes