What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

'Nowhere Boy' is my 2nd choice of best series.  The central character is kept in a time warp by his dad.  They only watch old movies and listen to music from my by-gone years which adds an extra layer of nostalgia.  Most of the central characters are worth caring about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

'Nowhere Boy' is my 2nd choice of best series.  The central character is kept in a time warp by his dad.  They only watch old movies and listen to music from my by-gone years which adds an extra layer of nostalgia.  Most of the central characters are worth caring about.

Are you talking about this series?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2761354/

On 12/12/2022 at 10:14 PM, recom273 said:

Just came to say, after the initial disappointment of an absent “Armand” hotel manager character, I really enjoyed the second series of the white lotus, a couple of twists in last episode and yesss! It’s been signed for a third series.

I just started a Belgian series Fils De which came recommended, was quite hard to find due to the naming. Seems to get mixed reviews - but fills the gap for a running gritty Euro gangster series. I think the last good crime series I caught was S02 of Snabba Cash or gangs of London.

Where did you get "Fils De"?

36 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Where did you get "Fils De"?

I don't remember - @seedy says its on TPB, but its not worth going out of the way to find. It's OK .. but I think there are better mentions here worth catching up with first.

Oh, @Mutt Daeng There is Season 03 of Darkness, those who kill returning at the end of January, The Scandinavian original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

I watched an epic movie tonight, one that I consider to be on a par with "Apocalypse Now" and it is called "Jeremiah Johnson" starring amongst others, Robert Redford, and it was made in 1972, and is a two hour long movie, and for those of you have never seen it, you are missing a brilliant, multifaceted movie which is about a man taking to the mountains to live as a trapper, wanting to get away from all that he sees in the US/Mexican war.

I downloaded it from fmovies and have had it in my 'Keep' files for a few years now.

It's a 'keeper' for sure.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, recom273 said:

I don't remember - @seedy says its on TPB, but its not worth going out of the way to find. It's OK .. but I think there are better mentions here worth catching up with first.

Oh, @Mutt Daeng There is Season 03 of Darkness, those who kill returning at the end of January, The Scandinavian original.

Thanks for the heads up @recom273. IMHO These Scandinavian crime dramas usually have strong plots and are enjoyable to watch. Never seen a bad one yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Anyone know where I can download 'Early Doors: Live'? I've watched the 2 series but would like to see the live stage show (2021) which is out on video. It got a 9.4/10 on IMDb.

Vimeo got it - pay to rent or DL

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I scoured the BBC iPlayer movie section for something "different/new to me" and came across a movie made some 10 years ago, called "Quartet", and it was a delightfully quaint comedy/drama with some well-known stars in it, like Tom Courtenay, Billy Connolly, Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon, amongst others, and it made for a good evening's viewing.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, mikebell said:

I think you mean Nowhere BOYS (plural). Nowhere Boy was the story of John Lennon's childhood, pre-Beatles.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:23 PM, Will27 said:

Don't pick Up the Phone

Thought this was mind boggling.

Summary: The shocking true crime story of a hoax caller who targeted fast food restaurants across America - posing as a police officer investigating a theft, the caller instructed managers to strip-search the young female employees he said were suspects; for many victims, what began as a humiliating strip search escalated into sexual abuse. When the hoax caller hits McDonald's in Mount Washington, Kentucky, a rookie detective makes it his mission to catch him - what he uncovers is extraordinary. With testimonies from investigators, victims and the people who were duped into committing strip-search crimes, this limited series tells the story of the hunt for the strip search hoaxer, and the victims' search for justice.

Mind boggling is correct.  Its hard to imagine something like this happening anywhere but then again it is the "land of the free" lol.

• Like 1

Needed a bit of cheering up as I'd had a large molar extracted a couple of days ago and it was giving me some stick, still!!

So I looked in my "catalogue" and decided on a light-hearted bit of Kiwiana, a movie called "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" which stars Sam Neill and really does show one slice of Kiwi life, as well as the humour which abounds throughout NZ (most of the time anyway).

Doesn't take itself seriously and has a few chuckles and it, and if you haven't seen it, then it is well worth a look.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 4:00 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

Started to watch this one and got about 35 minutes into it I decided it wasn't for me. It's not that things like blood and gore put me off, but I like a movie with some sort of plot in it and this one just didn't appeal.

I must be getting choosy in my old age, however I think I've always been like that as I have never watched a DC Comic movie, or the Mortal Combat types, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk type movies, but would include movies like The Shawshank Redemption, Castaway, The Big Short, Apocalypse Now, Tombstone, Live by Night, The Martian, Prometheus, The Railwayman, Shooter and so on amongst many of my favourites, but Bones and All just didn't do it for me.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, xylophone said:

Started to watch this one and got about 35 minutes into it I decided it wasn't for me. It's not that things like blood and gore put me off, but I like a movie with some sort of plot in it and this one just didn't appeal.

Funny, I downloaded with the intent of watching only 30 min to catch the acting and atmospherics.

I really enjoyed this fairly low budget, but entertaining movie, bit slow but suited my mood

"Struggling to survive with her father after the collapse of Earth's ecosystem, 13-year-old Vesper must use her wits, strength and bio-hacking abilities to fight for the future".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20225374/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1