Just braved a few days with the Mrs family

Kenny202

Guest Isaanlife

I learned enough Isaan to converse with my wife's rather large family.

I joyfully pay for everything because I know they can't and they are my family now too.

Get along great, that is what a real family is suppose to do.

Lots of support, feel very safe and enjoy the large get together's.

Very close because I see them everyday.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

I have a totally opposite experience from kenny202 in both my marriages here. Sorry but I can't help to think that it (also) has to do with the background and educational level of the family and the person whom we choose to partner with. 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I used to visit them once every two years, they would do  the same to me.  The trips lasted 3 days and then we parted, the best of vague friends. Fortunately, one of the few positives regarding Covid is that we have politely avoided each other for the past 2 years and have no plans to meet again any time soon.  I have said that they can come back to see us if they are triple vaccinated,  knowing full well that they will not bother with a third shot. 

You can use a felt tip pen on your LFT to draw in the second line

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

We built a family compound and when we were ready to refinish and rebuild the father's home behind ours, [estimated cost 600k baht ] he refused unless I reassured him I had 10MM in savings for myself.. That's better than a thank you - he doesn't know that in my culture people say that... but he shows it in so many ways... 

What made you so eager to rebuild somebody’s father house? Did it come to you in your dream or what? I cannot imagine anybody reasonable having this weird idea out of nowhere. 

Edited by Father of Godfahter
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

I don't have the same problem. My Thai family try to learn a little bit of English just as I try to learn a little bit of Thai.

I do pay for meals if we go out and I buy the whiskey but I always get a thank you and a wai.....not a why ????

It is you who should WHY. Why should you constantly pay for the food and the drinks of the adult people whom you know a year or two the most and who are healthy individuals able to pay for their basic necessities themselves!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Nice and entertaining story.

In a way though it made for an interesting weekend for you.

Hopefully your wife enjoyed herself and I'm sure she appreciates your easy going way.

......and though they may not have said it, I'm sure the guests appreciated and enjoyed your hospitality.

What a cool guy!

How are our relations to our family back home? And the extended family?

Obviously some people are lucky and they have a happy family. But reading about Christmas and all the family parties people have to join and complaints about uncle x and ant y it seems to be normal all over the world that people who didn't chose to be each others friends have difficulties with each other.

Sometime we and/or they put some effort in it to try to talk to each other and understand each other. But sometimes (often?) it ends in resignation that he or she is just different.

Personally I don't care much about my extended family back home and I don't care much about the family of my gf. Say hello, be nice, and hope it's over soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The thank yous and expression of gratitude do not seem to be a part of Thai culture. With my family it was learned.

For my wife too... she learned while staying w/me in USA - and she learned on her own, seeing that others, then herself, could say 'thank you so much' and it would make people feel better... I am sure she doesn't say it to her family, but will say it to me as she knows it is polite and appreciated... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Birthday not Thai culture. It was her culture when it was her birthday and was expecting an expensive gift.

My wife pretty much forgets my birthday easily... but she forgets her own too... we never exchange gifts on occasions. 

• Like 2