Farang friendly bank required

Seagull Sam

few year ago i was in search for a bank, went through 4 different bank, Bangkok bank was the only bank that doesn't ask many question and requirement, PP, type of visa, under 1/2 hr walk out with bank book and debit/ATM

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Seagull Sam said:

Thanks. Is this essentially the rather unloved mall of the same name? 

Yes!

The Mall tends to be very unloved now but that Branch of BKK Bank stills seems to be high on the farang satisfaction scale!

Look up some of "Nancyl" posts re that branch!

PS;  I believe PP in an earlier post refers to Pasport which you will definately need for any bank account opening anywhere!

Edited by fangless
PS added.

Shortly after arriving in CM on a Non O visa, I tried Kasikorn but was refused and their customer support hotline staff also said I needed either a work permit or a retirement "visa" but really meaning a 12 month extension for retirement.  Needing a home for my 800K to receive a retirement extension I went to Hang Dong Big C branch of Bangkok bank.  I needed my passport, residency certificate from Immigration to open a savings and a fixed deposit account in 1/2 an hour.

After getting my extension for next 12 months Kasikorn was more cooperative but still trying to pull a fast one by saying I needed 10K ฿ to deposit immediately.  I just laughed and said "I don't think that's true".  10 minutes later I had my shiny new KBank passbook with a 1K deposit.

Requiremnts to open a BKK savings account;

Savings Account (bangkokbank.com)

2. Foreigner without work permit

Passport

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document

Embassy located  in Thailand 

An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 

Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.

Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

As you can see from the above just go in to a BKK Branch with a BKK Bank account holder and the required documents!

That Is how I opened mine!

41 minutes ago, fangless said:

Requiremnts to open a BKK savings account...

As you can see from the above just go in to a BKK Branch with a BKK Bank account holder and the required documents!

Thanks. There's quite a bit there a lot of which may well be best sorting out back home. Let's try BKK bank at Kad Suan Kaew with the paperwork I have and we'll see how I get on.

• Like 2

I opened an account at the Bangkok Bank branch at Kad Suan Kaew about 2 months ago....and they will open an account there for you provided you have the visa the OP mentions (or a Non-O) or extension thereof.  You'll need your passport, your address, and telephone number but there's no need for proof of residency or other documentation.  None of the other items mentioned in the post by fangless above were required.

Edited by CMBob
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Dress appropriately and speak politely and any bank will do business  with you

Provided you meet their account opening rules!

Please see my post above where I have copied the BKK Bank requirements directly from their web site and a link.

I do not see any reference in that link to dress codes, nationallity or colour of skin!

Most of the posters here are trying to help the OP with facts, not unfounded and unhelpful general statements!

Edited by fangless
spelling!
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, fangless said:

Please see my post above where I have copied the BKK Bank requirements directly from their web site and a link.

Besides the passport, I have never needed any of the things listed.

On my third bank now - BKK bank

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seedy said:

Besides the passport, I have never needed any of the things listed.

On my third bank now - BKK bank

I have only listed above a direct copy from their web site which is basically their rules.

I. like you, did not need to bother with proof of address (Note they only say "Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided"  -  They say nothing about providing proof)

I used the GF address who was my sponser as a "BKK Customer" Her and the passport were all I required along with original deposit and fees for debit card etc!

On 1/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, fangless said:

Bangkok Bank at KSK is often recommended by expats as a very friendly expat geared branch!

1/2, Kad Suan Kaew Trade Center, Huai Kaeo Road, Tambon Suthep, Amphoe Muang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, 50200

Yes, agree.

Edited by EricTh

On 1/3/2022 at 3:55 PM, Seagull Sam said:

Thanks. Is this essentially the rather unloved mall of the same name? 

That's the Bangkok Bank branch with the most number of farang in Chiang Mai.

The mall was much loved before the pandemic with many live shows inside the mall and weekly market. 

It will pick up again after the pandemic.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 11:05 PM, gamb00ler said:

You need to get out more!  There are plenty of posts by well spoken individuals who had difficulty opening bank accounts despite having proof of residence (rental agreements, residence certificate, driver's license) in Thailand.  I find it hard to believe that every one of them were clad in a Singha wife beater and dirty shorts.  Kasikorn didn't want my business despite a personal recommendation from one of their own area managers. 

Agree. I was dressed up properly but got rejected by a SCB branch (not in city center) just because I had a retirement visa.

They only want those foreigners with work permits but not retirees.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:32 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

There  may be problems at certain  branches but not at Banks. Did you find out why you were turned down? Why did you need a personal  recommendation?......... I hope you got your bank account  opened in the end

It is never particularly easy to know exactly why something untoward happens in Thailand.  However in the case of my rejection by Kasikorn, I called their customer support line and was told that I must have a long term retirement visa (probably meaning extension) to open an account.  That explanation matched what the branch manager told me.

My stepson is a successful business man in CM and has a good friend who is an area manager for the small business section of Kasikorn bank.  I knew there was potential for difficulty in trying to open an account with only my 90 day permission to stay as specified on my non "O" visa.  My stepson called his friend at Kasikorn and asked him to give a reference to the branch manager so that I could have an easier time opening my first account.  The branch in question was in the Big C Extra on the superhighway.

I went to Bangkok bank in Hang Dong Big C and they gladly opened two accounts for me.

At least Kasikorn was true to their word and agreed to open an account for me after I did my first extension.  However, they did try to tell me that I must deposit 10K ฿ immediately.  I politely declined and deposited 1K.

BankSign2201.thumb.jpg.ae22587daaa43f51644a6d4f12fa8549.jpgThank you all.

I sauntered into Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew yesterday afternoon and sauntered out 20 minutes later with a savings account and debit card. I didn't have precisely what is printed on the sign attached but I have been in CM for nearly 8 months with an alien residency form (I am a martian obviously) and have had a number of visits to immigration in that time.

It all seemed a bit too easy, I was expecting someone to find a hitch somewhere so I got out quickly. ???? 

• Haha 1

The potential grief exists when opening an account however tends to be branch dependent in my experience in CM.

I was lucky and ultimately had the support of my Retirement visa agency who basically sorted everything out and still does liaise directly with the bank (BBL) re the annual bank statement for extension.

30 minutes ago, Seagull Sam said:

Thank you all.

I sauntered into Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew yesterday afternoon and sauntered out 20 minutes later with a savings account and debit card. I didn't have precisely what is printed on the sign attached but I have been in CM for nearly 8 months with an alien residency form (I am a martian obviously) and have had a number of visits to immigration in that time.

It all seemed a bit too easy, I was expecting someone to find a hitch somewhere so I got out quickly. ???? 

Sometimes, just sometimes, it's actually easy.

Did you get internet banking set up too??

On 1/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, fangless said:

Bangkok Bank at KSK is often recommended by expats as a very friendly expat geared branch!

1/2, Kad Suan Kaew Trade Center, Huai Kaeo Road, Tambon Suthep, Amphoe Muang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, 50200

I opened mine here after seeing recommendations on this forum.

Did not have anyone accompanying me.

• Thanks 1