Bull castration

473geo

40 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

1. Do not allow the Bull any water for 24 hours, so it is very thirsty.

2. Ensure that it is securely tied, and place a large bucket of water in front of it.

3. Whilst it is drinking, nip round the back, have your assistant lift up it's tail, take two bricks and "voila"!

Question: does it hurt?

Answer: only if you get your fingers caught!

I hope this is only a joke

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, CLW said:

I hope this is only a joke

No, Herfie was deadly serious!  LOL

(Where were you 30 odd years ago when this was first suggested)

Edited by KannikaP

15 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

A very cheap, and effective was to castrate a Bull, is to employ the use of Two Bricks.

I am told that the procedure is not painful.

Unless you manage to trap your Thumbs

Read HerfieHandbag 30 minutes ago, but for him it was fingers!

Edited by KannikaP

It is very rare for a Thai bull to be castrated ,one reason very few know how to do it properly, and they do not have the equipment .

All amphurs have a vet on their books. Just go and see them.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

19 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Have no problem castrating, done a few hundred in my time, but if the Thai market is ok with bull beef and there is no real benefit price wise, must give effectiveness of castration considerable thought if we continue to offload the bulls at 9 months to a year

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thai vets may be good at AI and some vet jobs ,but trying to find a Amphur vet to  one not easy/impossible  ,in our big airy cow area  no Amphur vet would  do one ,a locale independent vet could do the job but unlikely ,Thai vets are not good are handling cattle ,the unwritten law is you are responsible for catching and holding the animal ,the vet will does the job ,if you can not hold the cattle he will not do the job.

The video you posted is of a 6-7 month old Charolais bull in a proper holding crush ,that will not be difficult to do .

Here in Thailand most cattle are Brahmans ,very difficult to handle , very stroppy most will be 12-18 month old some plus ,no proper handling crush ,just a race made  out of wooden poles ,no way could you castrate a bull as in the video ,most here are cast on the ground with the legs tied up ,again the cattle owner will be reasonable for that and the vet will just  sit and wait.

Like I said the reasons cattle are not castrated in Thailand .one of our local independent vets /AI man will not AI beef cattle ,just dairy cattle  ,because they are so difficult to handle .

I have nothing helpful to add to this thread but after reading the thread a few days ago I've been peppered with Animal Electro-Ejaculator ads while on this website.  My wife is beginning to suspect that I'm some sort of deviant as we live in Bangkok and don't have livestock.  Is anyone else getting this?

image.png.10601a1f298ebea5cc6cbde79bb4300d.png

Finally, is this a good brand? I don't want to get stuck with a faulty electro-ejaculator.....

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

I have nothing helpful to add to this thread but after reading the thread a few days ago I've been peppered with Animal Electro-Ejaculator ads while on this website.  My wife is beginning to suspect that I'm some sort of deviant as we live in Bangkok and don't have livestock.  Is anyone else getting this?

Finally, is this a good brand? I don't want to get stuck with a faulty electro-ejaculator.....

You ask this from strangers but not your wife? Surely that indicates the direction of  your question is probably as much a mistake as was your initial  interest ?

28 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

Well, the pictured EEJ has a ram probe with it ,  a real man would need a bull probe!

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:09 PM, kickstart said:

The video you posted is of a 6-7 month old Charolais bull in a proper holding crush ,that will not be difficult to do .

The pictured bull was actually a (sedated) Hereford.

You are correct that most cattle here are Brahman type cattle (Bos indicus) . In my experience, they can kick in all directions with all four feet - almost at the same time! I am sure they have better temperament here because they are handled much more than those I dealt with in Australia.  They mature later than European breeds, so are unlikely to become too much of a handful until after 2 years of age. 
in response to the op original question - there would be no benefit in running steers unless you were growing them beyond 2 years of age.

23 hours ago, G Rex said:

The pictured bull was actually a (sedated) Hereford.

You are correct that most cattle here are Brahman type cattle (Bos indicus) . In my experience, they can kick in all directions with all four feet - almost at the same time! I am sure they have better temperament here because they are handled much more than those I dealt with in Australia.  They mature later than European breeds, so are unlikely to become too much of a handful until after 2 years of age. 
in response to the op original question - there would be no benefit in running steers unless you were growing them beyond 2 years of age.

It is a Hereford I did not look at all the video .

We have a few Thai Native x Brahman ,which we do handle ,and their temperament is fairly good ,but the cows with the young calves can take some handling ,their maternal instinct is good.

In times past I used to handle a fair number of Brahmans, a lot were the roadside type ,hardly ever handled, and they can most certainly can kick. and they know how to use their head and horns .

The way most Thai beef cattle are reared they have slow grow rates ,you might think they are young, but a lot are two years old plus,still immature for age ,

As I said with the poor diet and management, castrating them would probably set them back ,with all the Hassell, leave them alone.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:43 AM, herfiehandbag said:

1. Do not allow the Bull any water for 24 hours, so it is very thirsty.

2. Ensure that it is securely tied, and place a large bucket of water in front of it.

3. Whilst it is drinking, nip round the back, have your assistant lift up it's tail, take two bricks and "voila"!

Question: does it hurt?

Answer: only if you get your fingers caught!

My wife tried this one of me, wasn't a bucket of water but a gogo nymphet after she refused sex for a week. Caught me with my pants down.

Yes I know you're gonna ask me if it hurt.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Haha 1