COVID-19: Thailand reports 3,899 new coronavirus cases, 19 deaths, 2,508 recoveries

webfact

COV5.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Wednesday (January 5) reported 3,899 new COVID-19 cases, 2,508 recoveries and 19 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 3,831. Prisons: 68

▶︎ Recoveries: 2,508

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,210,612

▶︎ Total recoveries since April 1: 2,155,403

Wednesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,239,475 with 21,769 deaths.

The news comes as A medical expert has indicated that Thailand will soon face a surge in COVID-19 infections, but says he believes the Omicron coronavirus variant will develop into a live vaccine that provides immunity without the need for booster shots.

Dr Manoon Leechawengwongs, a pulmonary disease expert at Vichaiyut Hospital, recently posted an update on SNS media explaining that the Kingdom will face a new wave of infections that could be the largest in two years. He added that daily cases could number in the tens of thousands, but advised the public not to be too worried about the possibility.

According to Dr Manoon, the Omicron variant has evolved from its predecessors to be better adapted to the human body. Notably, it has a reduced incubation time for faster transmission while also tending to cause milder symptoms akin to the common cold or flu.

*NNT contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update5JAN).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-05

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

Now we can see that bump upwards that Omicron is presenting us with, albeit not including the amount of positive ATK tests.  Maybe we will see that Stat later on today. As far as herd immunity the below statement made by the good Dr. Manoon Leechawengwongs, a pulmonary disease expert at Vichaiyut Hospital says a great deal in his view.

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

The news comes as A medical expert has indicated that Thailand will soon face a surge in COVID-19 infections, but says he believes the Omicron coronavirus variant will develop into a live vaccine that provides immunity without the need for booster shots.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 3,899 official new infections. 19 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 3,555 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 7,454

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average chart (up to 3rd Jan)

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

image.png.a11257a042ef18eae0cd428e95c8a875.png

data 5 jan.png

There are the ATK rapid tests we expected to see.  This should be a tell to this Government as to the spread.  The bigger question is in what locations did these ATK positives come from.  Was it from Chonburi, Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok,,,a breakdown would also be nice in order to track the spread.  In the US they saw over 1 million folks present positive today.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

There are the ATK rapid tests we expected to see. 

Yes, these are the ATK tests that I expected to see.

However, is it the true picture being shown. It is my guess that only a fraction of the ATK test results are being made public.

With the Hospitals starting to be over run by Omicron, the ATK numbers seem very low.

As expected that cases would rise after the holiday... That happens if people don't have a vision but only are interested in short term profits... A big new wave will cost much more than cancelled the travellling and celebrations ... but that is my opinion. I know people want to go forward, but grass doesn't grow by pulling it.. Covid and vaccinations need time, but it started too late and is too slow and that is no problem, but send the people on holidays and keep everything on 1,5 m distance.. And yes lift the alcohol ban, because there is no difference between a softdrink, coffee/tea and a glass of wine/ beer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Surat Thani Public Health Office reported 31 new cases for Koh Samui, 11 for Koh Pha-Ngan, and 1 for Koh Tao. There were no reported deaths #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

Probably rampant on Koh Pha Nga now after that new years full moon party

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Testing is starting to reach its limits in Australia and also the US is having problems, in Australia now they are telling you if you cant get a test but have symptoms, assume you have Covid and stay home. RAT tests are hard to come by. The numbers are going up astronomically, particularly after NYE, anecdotally a lot of people reporting having picked it up out partying, so hopefully younger vaccinated people who wont get so sick. How this pans out here is anyone's guess, like a previous poster, I'm flying out on the 14th and am worried about the 72 hr PCR test, certainly not going out clubbing. Looks like another busy year for the local teachers, handing out colouring in books and lazing in the hammock after a som tum. My niece was trying to help her 7 year old with his homework, I couldn't help hearing her call him dumb, later she told me he was, because he's forgotten everything from school

2 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Testing is starting to reach its limits in Australia and also the US is having problems, in Australia now they are telling you if you cant get a test but have symptoms, assume you have Covid and stay home. RAT tests are hard to come by. The numbers are going up astronomically, particularly after NYE, anecdotally a lot of people reporting having picked it up out partying, so hopefully younger vaccinated people who wont get so sick. How this pans out here is anyone's guess, like a previous poster, I'm flying out on the 14th and am worried about the 72 hr PCR test, certainly not going out clubbing. Looks like another busy year for the local teachers, handing out colouring in books and lazing in the hammock after a som tum. My niece was trying to help her 7 year old with his homework, I couldn't help hearing her call him dumb, later she told me he was, because he's forgotten everything from school

Yes the PCR test must be worrying for people travelling. Listening to Chris Whitty in the UK press briefing yesterday he did touch on this saying that antigen tests are more accurate for finding covid at its infectious stage as they need to work harder and need a lot of the virus to detect it.

Whereas the PCR only needs a minute particle to be found as it amplifies it so even though its detected it may not be at the infectious stage, ie you could have already recovered weeks before but you are no longer infectious.

23 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Calling a 7 year old child dumb is not very nice. ????

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Calling a 7 year old child dumb is not very nice. ????

I used it as an example to highlight the fact that children's future is not a priority for this Government, and that everyone is running out of patience with it. And the more of I think of it, was phrased more like "do you want to be dumb like this?" Back to the topic.

Top 10 Provinces for new cases: Chonburi continues with the highest number of infections with Bangkok in 2nd. Samut Prakan saw the biggest increase. There were two new entries, 9th Phatthalung and 10th Nonthaburi. #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1478606021371129858