Passport held by shady agent for 8 months - please help

22 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

I'd report it as stolen and get a new passport, seems like you have no choice. If your visa is expired and you didn't have your passport since, that means you're on overstay though?

Overstay of more than 90 days which means banned from Thailand for 1 year and a 20,000 baht fine. ☹️

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Same as retirement just more expensive- they pay under the table for people who do not have the funds in the bank

Marriage extensions completely different to Retirement.

Extensions retirement are sent up country. All that's required is to circumvent money in bank requirement. The passport holder of course is not even required to attend. Just hand over pp to agent.

Marriage is completely different.

Anyway this is off topic.. I asked the OP what the agent was actually doing on his behalf. 

Don't think the op has contributed as yet. 

Vague thread with little detail. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers! Yes I'm thinking the passport may have been lost or stolen and I will talk to my embassy on Monday. She wasn't able to produce a photo of my passport when asked recently.

And yes I can meet her anytime, but she won't give any reliable info. Good point about the registered letter.

I'm not sure what a legal action would look like since I'm not even supposed to give my passport to a private person in the first place.

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

And what exactly do the agents do for extensions marriage. Please outline

With the right connections, they also provide the money in such cases, as they accept that the money is only in the account at the day of application. That´s as easy as it is, and that´s the outline you get. Can´t always be right dear doctor.

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

With the right connections, they also provide the money in such cases, as they accept that the money is only in the account at the day of application. That´s as easy as it is, and that´s the outline you get. Can´t always be right dear doctor.

Indeed.

Never ran into any agent doing that. Or for that matter someone doing that. 

The person and his wife would still need to attend immigration.

Perhaps be subject to home visit.

Still be required to furnish other docs related to marriage.

For marriage extensions you have an under consideration period as application is reviewed. 

That's completely different to situation with extensions retirement.

In any event at some point I no doubt I will run into someone that uses agent for marriage extension. Maybe they might be married to an io.

The OP has now mentioned something about a certification of marriage certificate (or whatever). Seems a strange course of action to need agent for that.

• Like 1

Might have lost it... might have sold it to some underworld chap for "urgent banking services"... might have sold it to someone who "doctored" it for a desperate foreign criminal willing to pay big bucks to move from country A to country B with the ease of a Frenchman's passport... might have auctioned it off to highest bidder at the annual mafia goodies auction... might have found its way to Kaoh San Rd for that "passport with Sorbonne Université diploma package deal for 100k baht"

Or her kid might have snipped it into pieces and said "look mama สวยมาก!!"

Lost in a maze of possibilities. 

Edited by mvdf

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed.

Never ran into any agent doing that. Or for that matter someone doing that. 

The person and his wife would still need to attend immigration.

Perhaps be subject to home visit.

Still be required to furnish other docs related to marriage.

For marriage extensions you have an under consideration period as application is reviewed. 

That's completely different to situation with extensions retirement.

In any event at some point I no doubt I will run into someone that uses agent for marriage extension. Maybe they might be married to an io.

The OP has now mentioned something about a certification of marriage certificate (or whatever). Seems a strange course of action to need agent for that.

Yes, it seems strange, to need an agent for the reason the OP mentions.

Perhaps sounds odd, but I would contact one of this Pattaya agents, which are doing hundreds of visas. With his advice, he can tell you step by step what to do to prevent a ban. (with a little help from his friends at the immigration) 

I would contact the agent again, and tell them if it's not returned say within 7 days or less, you will have no choice than make a police report, because at the end of the day that is true, it just might make them take more effort in trying to find it. If they can.

• Thanks 1