ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

14 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Sigh. Both my Ford Ranger and Isuzu imax still have an ignition slot for the key. At least the Isuzu can be push started if necessary.

Sigh. Yes, a lot of old clunkers do. 

My '53 Ford F100 had push-button start. 

I've had four Isuzus, but never an imax. I did see a sound-check sponsored by Isuzu sound-check at an imax theater though. 

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

An interesting video.

It will probably be condemned as fake and untrue by the EV evangelists here.

Is it really fake and untrue? 

I have no idea, but unless it is fact checked and proven to be untrue. I personally tend to believe it. I have read reports from other sources that insurance for EVs is higher than for a similar ICE vehicle.

I have also read from some EV evangelists here that pro rata, EVs have a lower rate of spontaneous combustion than ICE vehicles by anywhere between 11 to 130 times. That seems to be an odd and somewhat vague figure to me.

i asked chat gpt about this video :

The video "Broken EVs Head Straight to Junkyards As Repair Costs Are Unbearable!" from Chase Car highlights concerns about the high repair costs of electric vehicles (EVs) leading many to be scrapped instead of repaired. 

While it's true that some EVs can have expensive repairs, particularly for battery replacements, it's not universally the case. The video might be emphasizing extreme cases or specific models to make a broader point. The reality is more nuanced, with repair costs varying widely depending on the EV model and the nature of the damage.

For more detailed and balanced information, it's important to look at a variety of sources, including manufacturer data and independent repair cost analyses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

An interesting video.

It will probably be condemned as fake and untrue by the EV evangelists here.

Is it really fake and untrue? 

I have no idea, but unless it is fact checked and proven to be untrue. I personally tend to believe it. I have read reports from other sources that insurance for EVs is higher than for a similar ICE vehicle.

I have also read from some EV evangelists here that pro rata, EVs have a lower rate of spontaneous combustion than ICE vehicles by anywhere between 11 to 130 times. That seems to be an odd and somewhat vague figure to me.

I stopped early on, 15 seconds or so, when stated "EV are less reliable" ... :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

While many make EV sales predictions (and rants) have been based on bad or good months/quarters (like the 1st quarter that is typically down) we should really be focusing on what the long term trend is such as year-over-year....and it's up, up, up...see the blue long term trend I drew in....I'm such an artist.  

image.png.f2c9fec3f98e82ed9f46a38f63d2ca48.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And? 

Why reference such an old article that didn't even talk how many had been reserved/sold.   1 million, 10,000, or maybe just 1,000, 100, etc..   When I started googling on the subject I found numerous articles talking about the Land Cruiser over the last several years like below Dec 2023 article talking it selling out in Germany....but it was only 1000 Land Crusiers.  Kinda sounds like Toyota gives individual countries a low allotment just so they can say they sold out in country XYZ in 30 minutes....sounds more like an Toyota sponsored advertising technique/media release.

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/12/first-1000-2024-toyota-land-cruisers-in-germany-sold-out-in-just-30-minutes/

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You can't fix stupid ... :coffee1:

"It’s not such good news for Land Rover owners, whose cars rank the lowest of any passenger vehicle in the United States. Though its standing improved somewhat from 2022’s ranking of 284 PP100, Land Rover ranks as the least reliable badge at 273 PP100 for 2023."

source

With a few recalls

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/2/2024 at 7:46 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I bought a Mini Cooper S Convertible for my office manager as a company car, he left shortly afterwards so I drove it for a couple of weeks.  I couldn't get comfortable in it, the car gave me backache so had to sell it.  It's the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven.

I've been in it only once and it sure was small inside. But it was very quick and cornered well - it had to, as he was driving it like a boy racer. 🙄