Video: Public run for cover as warring students have pitch battle in Bangkok rush hour traffic

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that around twenty mechanic students from two colleges in Phrapradaeng fought a pitch battle in the middle of the street in the rush hour yesterday evening in the Bangkok suburbs.

The media said it was worse than the movie "4 Kings" as motorists feared for their lives and people ran for cover. 

The students were armed with swords, guns and ping-pong explosive devices. 

It happened at the mouth of Soi Suksawat 74, by a U-turn.

All the students had arrived on motorcycles and started fighting.

The local police have tried to quell violence in recent days between two warring institutions, clearly without much success. 

The media was unsure if there were any injuries in the latest violence that erupted at 5 pm. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

There was a riot a few years ago inside the Mall Bang na between kids from different vocational colleges. The cops had all the confiscated weapons laid out, looked like a butchers shop had been raided. All that happened was lining the kids up and calling their parents to come and collect them after a telling off.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And these Muppets are going to be the future of the Country.

OMG

They are just low class people just like you have in any other country. The more intelligent ones dont go to to somewhere to study mechanical stuff. It was not any different in my country those who went to the schools where the less intelligent people went were more violent and there were more problems. 

Has a lot to do with intelligence and social background. Mind you I have nothing against people who are good technically and work with their hands. They are important but in general its a different kind people. My friends from back home who became plumbers /  electricians and so on were totally different from my schoolmates who studied at a higher level. 

My brother is an electrician, and his school was known for fights and violence. None at my school. Same applies to Thailand. Mind you just because someone goes to school like that does not make them violent idiots but its just that there are more violent idiots on schools like that. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In the mid 70's I was in a taxi stopped at a barrier-down level crossing (railway) in BKK. There were two yellow school buses, side-by-side, directly in front of us. The windows were open and male students were hanging out shouting abuse at each other when I saw an object thrown from one bus into the other. There was a flash, a bang and cloud of smoke. My driver managed to 'u' turn out and away. News next day reported a grenade killing four and injuring others and put down to student rivalry. Seems nothing changes........????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alien365 said:

What's the point in that video when 90% of it is blurred? 

No wonder there are so many accidents in Thailand - the state of that guys windshield... filthy & blurry... ????

Seriously though...  totally agree, the video was rather pointless.... why ‘mask’ a bunch of thugs fighting ?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

Well if you want to take offence then please do so. I thought i was pretty clear that I have no problems with technical people at all. Its just that quite often they are of a totally different class and mindset then those with more education. 

Also when there are fights in Thailand its almost always the technical education guys fighting. (i dont invent the facts).

Im actually quite jealous to people who can work with their hands and wish that i was a bit better at it. But the two things you described i can do and more then that too. My dad taught me to work with my hands as he had the brains and was super good with his hands. My brother is an electrician and i love him. But that does not change the fact that at his school violent incidents were more common. Technical education is usually for the lower educated (less bright) people. That does not mean everyone as my brother certainly is not dumb. But the majority sure is not that bright. 

You do demonstrate my point with referring to violence, as i said that violence is more prevalent amongst those kind of people. (talking about how to get back at a land lord, and you with your eating through a straw remark)

Im not sure why you felt offended as you made a life for yourself and did quite well. Do you deny that violence is more prevalent among the lower intelligence / lower educated groups ? I might not have worded it all correctly as this is my second language. 

But when I was with my friends who were electricans / plumbers and so on violence was more normal and crude stuff too. I certainly don't look down on people who work with their hands.  But I can't deny the facts either that both in my home country as in Thailand there is more violence on technical schools then normal higher education. Besides you totally miss the point that even students from Technical schools can do higher education. 

It wont be just me that has taken offence at your view taken upon people that work with their hands ( and Brains )

Your offensive, and derogatory remarks, will have touched a raw nerve of every Brickie, Plumber, Mech Engineer, Electrician, Motor Mechanic,  Etc ETc ETc along with all the other Trades too many to mention across the Planet, and that probably includes the Brother you Love so much.

Trades people are proud people. Proud of what they are, who they are, and what they do.

Well done ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It wont be just me that has taken offence at your view taken upon people that work with their hands ( and Brains )

Your offensive, and derogatory remarks, will have touched a raw nerve of every Brickie, Plumber, Mech Engineer, Electrician, Motor Mechanic,  Etc ETc ETc along with all the other Trades too many to mention across the Planet, and that probably includes the Brother you Love so much.

Trades people are proud people. Proud of what they are, who they are, and what they do.

Well done ! 

Trades people might be proud, and they are good at what they do but facts are facts. Its those kind of schools that brawl in Thailand not the normal universities. 

Back in my country same thing, most violence came from the lower tier trades schools. 

Be proud of what you do, but also accept that violence comes from those schools. Also accept that trades people are different from higher educated people. You yourself demonstrated that by bringing in violence. Just telling you how i experienced it and telling you how it is in Thailand. 

Now if you can't differentiate between yourself and a generality then I can't help you. Not every university schooled person is without violence same as not every trades person is violent. But certain traits are just more common among certain groups of people.

I have the highest respect for the work you guys do and wish i could do it myself too but I can't. But that does not change the facts that its trades people (in training) and back home where most of the violence occurs.

My brother takes no offence as he often says it himself that trades people are different, and some are total idiots. (just like university schooled ones). Like when he places a  A4 paper on the electrical meter telling them not to turn it on as he is working with it and they do switch it on because they want to listen to the radio, almost electrocuting him. Lot of these guys are not the sharpest tools. (with exceptions of course)

You got great trades men (usually the brighter ones like you that start their own company) and a larger group that just is not that bright. But the point of my remark was that it were the trades schools in Thailand that were violent and if you ever follow the news you could see that for yourself.

But your steering well clear of that as you probably know its true.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/20802/opinion-prayut-has-done-the-impossible-and-stopped-vocational-students-from-fighting-each-other/

just google and you will find it.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Trades people might be proud, and they are good at what they do but facts are facts. Its those kind of schools that brawl in Thailand not the normal universities. 

Back in my country same thing, most violence came from the lower tier trades schools. 

Be proud of what you do, but also accept that violence comes from those schools. Also accept that trades people are different from higher educated people. You yourself demonstrated that by bringing in violence. Just telling you how i experienced it and telling you how it is in Thailand. 

Now if you can't differentiate between yourself and a generality then I can't help you. Not every university schooled person is without violence same as not every trades person is violent. But certain traits are just more common among certain groups of people.

I have the highest respect for the work you guys do and wish i could do it myself too but I can't. But that does not change the facts that its trades people (in training) and back home where most of the violence occurs.

My brother takes no offence as he often says it himself that trades people are different, and some are total idiots. (just like university schooled ones). Like when he places a  A4 paper on the electrical meter telling them not to turn it on as he is working with it and they do switch it on because they want to listen to the radio, almost electrocuting him. Lot of these guys are not the sharpest tools. (with exceptions of course)

You got great trades men (usually the brighter ones like you that start their own company) and a larger group that just is not that bright. But the point of my remark was that it were the trades schools in Thailand that were violent and if you ever follow the news you could see that for yourself.

But your steering well clear of that as you probably know its true.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/20802/opinion-prayut-has-done-the-impossible-and-stopped-vocational-students-from-fighting-each-other/

just google and you will find it.

Anywhere there is a congregation of Young people, violence will not be not far away. That much I do know from my experience as a Instructor in a large College back in the UK

However it is completely offensive to pigeon hole a single section of Society for that Violence, and to label them Low Class.

Violence is in all Countries, Thailand, Your Country , my Country, in all walks of life, and is committed by people of above intelligence, and those that are mentally challenged.

I note all the Violence portrayed in Thailand , and it just does not come from students, it comes from every sector of the Community .

From the Police, to the Vocational Schools, the Grandma,s to the School Kids, the violence here seems to be a thing that is not to do with Students, but is a thing that has deep ingrained issues within Thai Society.

Maybe its to do with a kind of Tribalism, as akin to Soccer Hooligans, or a Cultural thing dating back to when the Thais went to War on the backs of Elephants.

I dont know the reasons why,  and I guess many better people than me have tried to understand the wanton violence that is displayed across Society in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 1:29 AM, Cake Monster said:

Anywhere there is a congregation of Young people, violence will not be not far away. That much I do know from my experience as a Instructor in a large College back in the UK

However it is completely offensive to pigeon hole a single section of Society for that Violence, and to label them Low Class.

Violence is in all Countries, Thailand, Your Country , my Country, in all walks of life, and is committed by people of above intelligence, and those that are mentally challenged.

I note all the Violence portrayed in Thailand , and it just does not come from students, it comes from every sector of the Community .

From the Police, to the Vocational Schools, the Grandma,s to the School Kids, the violence here seems to be a thing that is not to do with Students, but is a thing that has deep ingrained issues within Thai Society.

Maybe its to do with a kind of Tribalism, as akin to Soccer Hooligans, or a Cultural thing dating back to when the Thais went to War on the backs of Elephants.

I dont know the reasons why,  and I guess many better people than me have tried to understand the wanton violence that is displayed across Society in Thailand.

He made a generalization, with a number of caveats. It was a good generalization IMO. All generalizations break down at some point if you try applying the idea to the whole, that's why it's called a generalization. It's not intended to apply to the whole, but to a large part of the whole. Get over it. If your pride can't take it, I don't have any positive encouraging words to proffer. He was very obviously not intending to be derogatory, but to plainly state it as it appears to be and even went out of his way to cast positive light on people in the trades. Pride schmide. How about if people who are overdosing on their pride learn how to make a feeble attempt at taking what someone says at face value rather than imputing all sorts of meanings and motives that weren't there so that one's idiotic pride can be falsely justified and defended. So utterly boring.... and so typical of what I experienced with so many numbskulls in the trades.
My life in trades and unions sure bears out what he (@robblok) said, in spades! It can be fun working with a bunch of Neanderthals sometimes, but it gets old. Of course, I met some fantastically gifted people in the trades and some extremely bright cookies who would garner respect anywhere they went, but by-and-large it was like working with a bunch of knuckle-draggers still hoping to evolve.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, Cake Monster said:

Well done ! 

Would point out Mechanical Engineer is a profession taught at university.

Not a trade.

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out Mechanical Engineer is a profession taught at university.

Not a trade.

I was aware that Mechanical Engineering is taught in Universities now.

When I was an Apprentice, it was taught through Technical Colleges for 4 or 5 Years and in the UK was a City and Guilds  Qualification MECS ( Mechanical Eng Craft Studies)

On 1/12/2022 at 1:21 AM, FalangJaiDee said:

Anyone have a cultural logic for this violent rivalry between trade schools? It’s so odd to me 

Compare University of Alabama vs. Auburn (as one example) in American football.

If you turn it into a money maker it becomes legit.

16 hours ago, Sig said:

He made a generalization, with a number of caveats. It was a good generalization IMO. All generalizations break down at some point if you try applying the idea to the whole, that's why it's called a generalization. It's not intended to apply to the whole, but to a large part of the whole. Get over it. If your pride can't take it, I don't have any positive encouraging words to proffer. He was very obviously not intending to be derogatory, but to plainly state it as it appears to be and even went out of his way to cast positive light on people in the trades. Pride schmide. How about if people who are overdosing on their pride learn how to make a feeble attempt at taking what someone says at face value rather than imputing all sorts of meanings and motives that weren't there so that one's idiotic pride can be falsely justified and defended. So utterly boring.... and so typical of what I experienced with so many numbskulls in the trades.
My life in trades and unions sure bears out what he (@robblok) said, in spades! It can be fun working with a bunch of Neanderthals sometimes, but it gets old. Of course, I met some fantastically gifted people in the trades and some extremely bright cookies who would garner respect anywhere they went, but by-and-large it was like working with a bunch of knuckle-draggers still hoping to evolve.

I have the highest respect for people who are good with their hands, as I am not good. Sure i can fix things in not a total idiot. However it will never look as good as when my dad does it (not a trades guy but a marine engineer and chemical engineer but super good with both brains and hands) or when my brother does it electrician (though he is a bit less of a perfectionist as my dad.

Actually been put off doing stuff myself when younger, because if i put on a shelf using a spirit level it would still not be totally good. Dad would come over see it right away comment on the shoddy work and redo it. (kinda killed my will to do stuff). Later i found out that with a hammer drill you should first go slow as not to move (because i did put the marks and all). Wish dad had just told me that but i guess it was normal for him to simple to explain to me.

But when you have someone in the family who can fix anything from laying brick to electricity work to welding and putting floors both wood and tiles perfectly and who would tease the hell out of me for doing a bad job when i did stuff myself it comes to a point where you just let him do it. I am really jealous about stuff like that. 

My friends from when i grew up were plumbers / electricians and brick layers. But they were a rough bunch and not always that bright (with exceptions of course). They started working way before i did (my education took far longer). But we helped each other out, i did their taxes fixed their computer stuff and they helped me out with other stuff. But when i heard the stories about fights or witnessed the stupid bar fights they got into i knew we were not the same. They in general were just different from me. But never did i look down on them. Just noted the differences. 

My younger brothers school had fights and knife incidents on a weekly base, no such things on my school. It was just different they were more rough more prone to fix things with fists (or other weapons). I am totally against violence will run before i fight. Just realize its not worth it too much can go wrong even if you win. I am a strong guy so normally was not the target of fights. Plus if someone spilled beer on me my first reaction was not to fight or if i spilled beer over an other in a busy bar i apologized right away. 

Nowadays it seems the norm in my country that certain groups of people (not saying they are trades people as that is too much of a generalization) love to end their evening with a fight. This has resulted in a few deaths already. I like to steer clear of people like that. 

In Thailand when you read about school fights its usually vocational students not university students. 

The knuckle dragger comment you made is the same that my brother made when they switched on the electricity while he was working on it. He had put signs on the fuse box don't turn it on work in progress. They completely ignored it. He got a big shock fell from a ladder. You can imagine he was not happy. But the guys did not even care. They just said their radio needed power so it was justified. 

• Like 1