Thailand still too risky for travel - where to go instead of Thailand?

CG1 Blue

I appreciate this topic has been covered a million times, but with the ever changing Covid picture it would be good to get some up to date opinions. 

My mate was planning to celebrate his 50th birthday in Thailand with myself and a few others. That was back in 2020. With the continuing risk of forced (expensive) quarantine upon arrival in LOS and no sign of the government's anti-nightlife stance changing, patience has run out and we need an alternative. The main asks are:

- Tropical climate 

- Good nightlife options

- Beaches

- 'Friendly' females

- Decent food

- Jungles/wildlife/fishing etc (ok, this bit is mainly for me)

- Direct flights from UK preferred

Cambodia, Vietnam and Philippines all seem to have similar entry rules to Thailand at the moment, i.e. Covid tests on arrival followed by quarantine if positive. 

Costa Rica seems to be popular, but I watched a youtube vid of some guy going out for a night (I think in San Jose) and it didn't impress me, plus CR is quite difficult to get to from the UK. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Canary Islands (Spain)  Madeira (Portugal).

Forget Americas, Africa, Asia for now.

I know Tenerife very well, and was there in November. It's ok for a break from the UK winter temperatures, but I don't really class it as tropical. Being volcanic the whole place seems devoid of any fauna and flora aside from cockroaches and cacti. Nightlife there is a little bit stunted at the moment. I don't know about the other Canary Islands. 

Madeira is showing max temps of around 16 degrees at the moment. 

Cuba, Columbia, Costa Rica, Mexico seem to be options...

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Sri Lanka.

Looks like you only need proof of vaccination plus complete an entry.  I've not tried it, but was just looking at their web site.

Beautiful country, but the women, no.

• Sad 1

Went to Colombia and Panama recently.  Of those two go Colombia.

Costa Rica is pretty good.  Caribbean side if you want quiet, Jaco if you want more night life.

Mexico has a lot of good places.

Edited by AKJeff
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I've been stuck in the BP pithole for the last 22 months, you are not funny ???? But OK if you like chips, weed, beer and fat uneducated women

Na thanks. I'll pass then. Then I better prefer Somtam, Sang Som and slim n sexy under-educated women... ????

Cheers

• Haha 2