Tens of thousands of drivers in Bangkok face fines for encroaching on zebra crossing

snoop1130

If only there was a book that contained words and phrases that mean the same thing.  

No that couldn't exist, because if it there was more than one word that described the same thing it would be a "bastardization" of the original language.

A language cannot organically grow in different places in the world.

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Those are called "crosswalks", not "zebra" crossings.

Look at the picture.

Ever see any red and white zebras?

Learn to understand nature, not stupid British slang 

Zebra crossing is commonly used terminology in this part of the world; not American slang crossroad. 

Problem number one: Most people don’t pay the fines with no ramifications. Easy solution is a national DMV data base whereas registrations, license plates, driver’s license, etc cannot be renewed until fines are paid with penalties.

Number2: 

I see an increasing number of tags whited out so numbers are illegible to the camera. When caught, remove the offending plates, front and back, issue a ticket with a substantial fine and have a computer entry in the above data base.

Just now, Eric Loh said:

Zebra crossing is commonly used terminology in this part of the world; not American slang crossroad. 

We can't even get are insults correct.  I am on your side but I don't think anyone have mentioned a crossroad yet.  That is different all together.

• Like 1

Seems the problem between drivers and pedestrian crossings are not unique to Thailand.

In my experience the UK was the only place where one felt confident drivers would respect the law and rules regarding  pedestrian crossings.

Quote ftom wikipedia

Compliance

A 1998 Swedish study by A Várhelyi at Lund University found that the frequency of giving way at zebra crossings was 5% and drivers typically did not observe the law concerning speed behaviour at the zebra crossing. Speed behaviour in encounters (148 observations), non-encounters with pedestrian presence (642 observations) and situations without pedestrian presence (690 observations) were compared.

Three out of four drivers maintained the same speed or accelerated and only one out of four slowed down or braked. The study concluded that encounters between cars and pedestrians at the zebra crossing were critical situations in which the driver had to be influenced before he reached the decision zone at 50 to 80 m (160 to 260 ft) before the zebra crossing, in order to prevent "signalling by speed" behaviour

Edited by userabcd

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Look at the picture.

Zebra crossing is not slang, it is in the dictionaries.

Educate yourself and don't leave it to others: here is a red and white zebra: 

images.jpeg

Edited by Card

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Cheap shot.

that is because they are not using the zebra crossing sign which are white diagonal lines on black roads, what is shown in photo is not so, so they are are called cross walks but my guess is they both have same law and same fine, that is what I would call common sense, but not used in Thailand, dont forget also many drivers in Thai do not have a licence so therefore do not know the road laws which kills many people

• Like 1

From this photo, these are not "Zebra crossings" as we know in the UK. These are traffic light crossings. There are no traffic lights at Zebra crossings so it's up to the driver to be considerate and courteous to pedestrians and allow them to cross (hahahaha... hahahahahahha... hahahahahahahahahahaha...)

Who overrides who; how many times have I been forced to cross by a police officer while the traffic light above me was switched to red? Lets wait and see, until that controversy burps up. 

Meanwhile for all who do not know how things work in Pattaya: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Only yanks, and possibly Canucks, call them crosswalks. Your comment is just another example of how America has bastardised the english language. 

Language evolves. Much of what is now called American English is actually closer to the language spoken and written in England centuries back than the version used in the UK now, and studied for that reason. So you could argue that the bastardisation goes both ways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Look at the picture.

Are you a "cross dresser" or an angry dresser? Not British slang!

Look at the picture.

The World does not rotate around the USA, sorry to burst your tiny bubble Captain America

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

Language evolves. Much of what is now called American English is actually closer to the language spoken and written in England centuries back than the version used in the UK now, and studied for that reason. So you could argue that the bastardisation goes both ways.

As an example, but only from a hundred or so years ago.

The English must learn in school to ask every American they see, "why do you call America football, football when it is played with your hands?". I have been asked this so many times I can't keep track.  I admit I have no good answer for this question.  I usually respond with, why didn't you English keep calling Association Football soccer?  After all it was you English that coined the term.  Why do you always think we Yanks renamed your favorite sport.  We were just following your example but then you went and changed (bastardized 555) the language.

555. All in good fun.

Look at the picture.

It's not slang, that is what they are officially called in the UK, it is nice to see them using correct English as opposed to the awful American expressions....cross walk indeed, ever seen a cross walk?

• Confused 1

The only way to get some compliance is to make non-compliance hurt financially.  Make the fines stiff and actually collect them.   Confiscate vehicles for non-payment.  Make it a year-round thing, not just a short-term thing after some bad publicity.   Word will soon get around.  Use the added revenue to install more cameras, starting with the most dangerous intersections.

2 hours ago, AKJeff said:

Although I agree with your later point, your former is funny to me.  I have experienced far more Englishmen that want to tell people that American, Australian, South African, Canadian etc, English is wrong or a butchering of the language than Americans.  Really seems to burn a few butts when some Thais I know use Americanisms around their British English teachers.  It is really funny.

I wrote this a couple of hours ago.  This thread has proven the point.  So mamy people rightfully pointing out that Zebra crossing is an official term.  But then calling the American official term slang or an awful expression etc.

As my grandmother would have said, pot calling the kettle black. 

Edited by AKJeff
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It's not slang, that is what they are officially called in the UK, it is nice to see them using correct English as opposed to the awful American expressions....cross walk indeed, ever seen a cross walk?

A cross walk is what you do as you leave the nick, after paying your fine.