Prohibitory pricing of 'new test & go' starting February

38 minutes ago, treetops said:

There are 3 "J" offerings.  The J Inspired Hotel, The Hotel J Residence and The Hotel J Pattaya all on the same site I believe.  I think the poster you quoted would have been looking at the first one:

image.png.7b6ba77d2b1eaba3098189e7434e9818.png

On this site:

https://asq.in.th/

As you can see it includes airport transfer.

I contacted the hotel directly.

I've always found this best, it gives you an idication of how responsive they are at responding to e-mails / Whatsapp / Line etc.

J Hotel were very good fyi.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Sure Thailand will be gutted you're not coming.

Taken as an individual they probably don't care.

But, given the dire straights of the tourist business, and the widespread dependence upon it for many families finances, if it is a common reaction it will be a problem.

Still, I am sure you will be alright,eh?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

I am struggling to find hotels offering days 1 & 5 in one booking.

I can only find one day bookings and cheapest is 5k, and for a reasonably ok hotel, thats closer to 10k a night.

https://thaiest.com/blog/aq-hotel-1-night-packages

Even if one accepts the price for first night, as that includes airport transfer etc, I struggle to find justification for 5th day test & go @ 5k and climbing to 15k for acceptable hotels.

This site breaks down the prices into various packages, including Day 1 & Day 5 combined and separate. I ended up booking with the hotel directly, but the price was the same (Day 1: 4,250, Day 5: 3,350) whether I booked through ASQ or direct, or whether I booked 1 & 5 separately or together. 

https://asq.in.th/ 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I do not understand. Anyone - Thai or farang - can travel freely within Thailand, e.g. Chiang Mai to Bangkok or vice versa. If they want to avoid the requirements of air travel, they can just get in a car. AFAIK there are no checks on their status - vaccinated, unvaccinated, infectious, whatever.

Yet when vaccinated travelers come into Thailand, they have to jump through multiple COVID hoops. Is Thailand trying to kill off international tourism?

You are 100% correct. Thailand also like to have complete control over foreigners whether they are living in Thailand or simply visiting. Thai pass is a clear example of that and is completely unnecessary. There is clearly enough money in the trough for the powers that be to feed upon without any regards to tourism anymore.

• Like 1

the familly want to come over soon ,staying one night in a hotel they can live with ,but the test on the 5th day ,no way they will have to leave us and go back to an overpriced hotel for the rest of their time here ,so Thailand is losing thousands of pounds they would have spent .

• Like 1

I double checked, and one needs to keep in mind: Double the cost if there are two of you.

Cheapest I could find in Pattaya at a hotel I never saw, would be ~20k THB for 2 people.

Not sure how many tourists want to pay a surcharge of 20k THB.  (This in itself could cover the cost of a trip to KL for 4-5 days).

It's obviously a 'cash grab', as no one will be using the hotel room as a hotel room.  Just a very expensive waiting room till they get their results before they check-out and head to their actual destination.

But all that is still minor in comparison to what happens if a result comes back positive:

You (and your partner) will be sent to an ASQ/Hospital/Hospitel/whatever, where you will enjoy an extended stay (at your expense).  And this could be a *LOT* of money.

The real concerning bit here is, if you catch it on day 5, it could mean you caught it *IN* Thailand on Day 1.

Therefore, I would recommend the following approach:

1) 10k THB/person as a 'fee' to come to Thailand.

2) Spend the first 5 days in strict quarantine at home to avoid the slightest chance of contracting enough to test positive.

An option for returning expats, not very enjoyable for Tourists.  This rule should be lifted before tourist season starts in October or so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, treetops said:

3 to 7 days is mentioned during the application as they confirm with the hotel (hotel should respond within 24 hours) and DDC will verify your vaccination certificate before pass is issued.

It only says 3-7 days in TP web site.  Many many reports last time went over 10 days last time with TP version 1. 

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

Which country provides free PCR-test for non-citizens?

Pretty sure UK does if you have symptoms, but then the UK doesn't force PCR tests on fully vaccinated visitors and even a positive ATK does not require a follow up PCR now.

• Like 1

For some its just out of their financial picture.

For many it's the cost of doing business to get to where you want to be.

Seeing family, girlfriends,or just stunning Thai freelansers can sometimes trump the initial price gouging.

The biggest problem is testing positive and being forced into an extremely pricey public hospital.

• Like 1

Just now, Kalasin Jo said:

I booked and paid for the full 7 night quarantine package, the insurance, the flight and got the Thailand Pass before they changed to this. I'm arriving, provided I get a negative PCR before I leave, on 6th February. So I'm rolling with that and will see what they say and what happens when I get to the hotel in Bangkok. I'll stay there from day 1 through day 5 anyway now as it's paid for. May be I'll be allowed out of the room? Maybe I'll be allowed out of the hotel? May be I'll get vouchers for the meals? May be I'll get one day's refund?  May be I'll test positive there and get carted off to hospital? Who knows?! It's risky, it's crazy, but I need to get to my wife and Thai home now. It's been 18 months away.

yes ,no problem for you ,but would a tourist go through this?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I did and can confirm my findings.

Note: This is for 2 people for Day 1 and Day 5.  Perhaps you thought I meant only one day?

No.

Green Park Resort, Pattaya:

Day 1&5 7.750 THB

Additional person:

Day 1&5: 5.000 THB

So the start price there is 12.750 THB. Included is airport transfer and 2 PCR tests

Yes, the pricing is ridiculous. Paying 8,800 Bt for Day 1 as a couple. The hotel price was previously just under 3,000 for two. Day 5, even in Issan near our home, is only slightly less.

Thai citizens are getting no break from the regime or from the hotels. Someone said it is “their country”. Yes, “they” being the idjiots in power and control.

• Like 2