What happens to us when Thai insurance companies go bankrupt?

webfact

5 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

This is for medical insurance but what if a major Bank collapses? How good will the government guarantee be?

If only one bank, I think they could keep it afloat, but I wonder if they actually would. Also, if, for some reason, there was a major banking crisis, heaven knows how they could guarantee deposits and survival for all banks.

• Like 1

As far as Thai Banks are concerned. how many are owned/run by the Thai government? If one goes under, will they all follow due to the 'guaranteed' pay out? This shouldn't happen if they are run as separate entities.   

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

if, for some reason, there was a major banking crisis, heaven knows how they could guarantee deposits and survival for all banks.

"...heaven knows how they could guarantee deposits and survival for all banks".

The government does not guarantee all deposits, nor all banks, but there have been financial crises in the past and most mainstream, retail banks pulled through.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

This is for medical insurance but what if a major Bank collapses? How good will the government guarantee be?

From my experience a Thai guarantee in cases where it has to pay-out is usually worthless.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

God help them if car insurers just give up with the ludicrous thai drivers

Most don't bother with insurance if the car is older than a few years.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

If only one bank, I think they could keep it afloat, but I wonder if they actually would. Also, if, for some reason, there was a major banking crisis, heaven knows how they could guarantee deposits and survival for all banks.

I suppose someone else will already have said it. But after the 2008 crisis bail in laws were passed in most countries. So in the event of a major banking crisis creditors will be bailed in ( if a reformed banking entity can be re-floated )

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
8 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

From my experience a Thai guarantee in cases where it has to pay-out is usually worthless.

You have experience with non-payouts from Thai bank collapses that had government guarantees?

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

God help them if car insurers just give up with the ludicrous thai drivers

An unusual, original and amusing thought...But I'm afraid your comment, in some quarters, might be considered  puerile nonesense by some people which is unfair..So keep 'em coming!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

So what's better having medical insurance that eats away more than half of your pension when your are over 70 if you can get it.. Or having the insurance than when you need help they say sorry F- off. Now that's a real hard one!!!

I would expect insurance to cover exactly and only what is listed in the policy documents… that’s what i’d prefer.  The reality is that insurance really is a legal instrument and as such is written like that … and since the “common” person isn’t so well versed in it, that’s perhaps where the so-called “gotchas” come from 

I think that the best way is to have some kind of agreed upon standard so that policies can be both written for clear common-man understanding AND also be legal/court ready should the need arise. 

As far as the costs for those over 70 relative to their incomes… that’s a hard one as i think there’s some actuarial data that will show a relationship between age and claims paid.. as such, Id expect policies for those at advanced age to have higher costs … now, how much that is, is of course going to be based on a number of issues… but unless you fundamentally chance how the whole process of insurance operates - from underwriting, to rates to claims, I don’t know that you’ll even be able to escape the paradigm of higher and higher costs for those at advanced age and at the same time , whose incomes tend to be either limited or fixed… I think there’s some hard truths in how it is currently set up and how it operates… and I think the only real way out is a total rethink of how the process works, priced, sold and regulated. 

• Like 1

There might be some confusion about Southeast Asia Insurance.  There is also Southeast Insurance Public Company Limited also going out of business:  https://today.fox-24.com/news/81245.html

There goes my auto insurance on two vehicles.   I renewed it not long ago.  I suppose the premium I paid is now in the toilet.  Nice doing business with you, Thailand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

Over the past 4 yrs the DPA has reduced guarantees on deposits from 10MTB, then down to 5MTB and now only 1MTB / bank.

Not much confidence in the banking sector here…..

Most all financially successful Thais and Expats will have multiple bank accounts with different banks.

FD4A8600-FA1A-4827-89BB-CA8A83535B20.jpeg

528E2A3C-D27A-46B6-9A6D-FAA14F2EBDCB.jpeg

If each entrant o Thailand that needed Insurance was made to pay say 400Baht then all torists would be covered. No need to worry if Insurance Compnancies would go backrupt as teh Government would be handling it.

If we use as an example the numbers pre Covid 40,000,000 tourists times 400 Bht = 16,000,000,000 Baht or $485,000,000 USD

Then forget insurance Companies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

That was recently in the news I think you are only covered up to 1 million baht

Down from 5 million. Just to show you how much the government likes to protect the little people in favour of the large. We would expect nothing less since the party the little people voted in was overthrown. Again.

• Like 1

Bank deposit guarantees ....... only work when one or two banks go bust. I was with Landsbanki in Iceland, when their financial sector went into meltdown, Iceland Government reneged on that deal. Fortunately, as their accounts were promoted in UK, UK government coughed up instead - but it did take a year or so to get money back.

Our car insurance company in Thailand went bust about 5 years ago - never got a penny back, fortunately no claim outstanding.

Well I just had a fit with a well established Health Insurance company trying to get my treatment approved , then getting paid what they owed me . Im still not satisfied but I did get some coverage . So really your never safe ....

Both my cars and my motorbike were on insurance from two companies that failed over three months ago. There is a 'possibility' that we may get a rebate, but we have basically had to re-insure them with another provider. In both cases the reason was given as covid claims.