What is (or was) your profession or occupation?

Paulaew

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I have often pondered and considered that there is a wealth of untapped resource amongst the retired community here.

I wonder if there would be any help or use compiling a type of directory of members who have specific skills and professions etc (obviously with their agreement) that would be open and willing to help others if approached ?

I know generally that happens on forums in many cases, but thought it could be useful to "know a man that can" and get in touch with them directly rather than hoping they discover a particular thread/topic.

Your pondering  is most likely  on point  but  unfortunately it need be acknowledged that if in any meaningful  manner  "a (non Thai ) man that can" comes  to acquire a reputation for any particular  capacity that embarrasses or conflicts with social norms of expectations may suffer attention less than desirable !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

I wonder if the OP expects honesty?

Honesty would be good. I'm frank about my wandering career and lack of accomplishment. I'm sure many forum members did much better.

Paul Laew

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

Honesty would be good. I'm frank about my wandering career and lack of accomplishment. I'm sure many forum members did much better.

Paul Laew

Lack of accomplishment? Others did better?  In real terms  if there are those who regardless of boastful claims are at the very least  comfortable with their  situation as of the  moment then they  have accomplished the  core of existence regardless of greater  desires !

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How can you work as an amateur?

Though I studied some gemology and wrote many articles that were read by gemology students, I never obtained one of the gemology degrees that certify professional gemologists. So I was ipso facto an amateur. Got paid nonetheless, even if the money wasn't all that good.

Paul Laew

• Like 2

I would imagine that a disproportionate number of people who expatriate or spend parts of their year residing outside of their home country, tend to have also dabbled in multiple career fields.   I think that if someone asks your profession, they're trying to get an initial "label" to apply to you as a general indication of your educational/experiential background and possibly socioeceonomic status, depending on who is asking and the context.  The label hardly tells your story, but might serve as a starting point if they are looking for possible commonalities (or conversely if they are trying to sell you something or otherwise size you up for some scheme or another). ????  

As for me, I was in the military reserve for 20+ years, also pursued a civilian career in business with an MBA in finance.  If someone wants a label, I give them one of three, inasmuch as each of them is accurate enough as a starting point:

- Poor pensioner (default label as best to give to strangers)

- Financially independent investor

- Retired military

Edited by ChrisP24
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Rocket Scientist (well, parts of it anyway). I designed various ground and space hardware for military, commercial and scientific space projects.  Then when I moved to live in south-east Asia, there were no jobs for rocket scientists, so I built small hotels for a while, then became a science teacher in Laos and Myanmar.

You forgot the SMS things that got you 1 million baht a month for, that I thought was impossible  20 years ago. 

47 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You forgot the SMS things that got you 1 million baht a month for, that I thought was impossible  20 years ago. 

Ah yes - a money maker that clearly demonstrated how stupid many males are, who were willing to part with 1.50 quid a throw to receive an abusive or salacious text message from a computer.... good times!

• Haha 1