Will Western tourists ever go off visiting Thailand?

webfact

People will return once it is decided Covid-19 is endemic. The visitor health insurance requirement will stay as it’s not Thailands responsibility to provide healthcare to noncitizen’s. Fundamentally I don’t think Thailand wants to repeat the past of attracting cash strapped bargain hunting tourists.  Those days are likely over. Just my opinion, but who knows when tourists will actually return. Hopefully the days when droves of tourists in insane numbers trample everything, are over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, twix38 said:

I am just waiting until I can return without any restrictions except a PCR test to enter without any quarantine for vaccinated folk.

Then I will return to sort out my affairs and complete my relocation back to uk permanently. Far too many downsides to living in Thailand and I did that for 13 years.

Pollution, pesticides, poor air quality, hospitals not actually competent often in my experience, Sun exposure damage build up often under estimated, flipping street dogs, xenophobic population, jumping through immigration hoops, 2 tier pricing and ripoff, dangerous driving, political shambles, exch rate and no longer cheap....so much more, but I'll stop there.

Just waiting to return to leave for good!!

But how many of those are actually a real problem to many people.? Tourist people that is. 

4 hours ago, Millcx said:

55555555555555 Dreamland won’t happen

Sure it will! You don´t think that Thailand have been having crisis many times before? You do not think that they have been talking about change and cleaning up Thailand for the last 25 years? I always goes back. The reason why is the deep corruption in society. So, as long as that not goes away, which it will not! Just too much pocket money to lose. Then it will just be business as usual.

But, on the other, maybe you think corruption will go away just because of a pandemic? In that case you are far far out in dreamland. If anything happens, it will be more as there has been to few sources of income during more than 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RandiRona said:

Eric my friend, you gotta read more, here is an article you may trust. I copied relevant section as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_tourism

A number of countries have become popular destinations for sex tourism, including Brazil,[4][5] Costa Rica,[6][7][8] the Dominican Republic,[9] the Netherlands (particularly Amsterdam),[10][11] Kenya,[12] Colombia, Thailand,[13] 

thanks for this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tomster said:

Just drop all entry restrictions (maybe keep the insurance requirement as that is not that unreasonable) and the millions will return.

Problem is if they drop all restrictions before the next election the protests will return in force - they can't have that so expect to see the fear campaign kept going until after the vote at least. 

Not unreasonable?how do figure that

10 hours ago, webfact said:

I am sure many retirees will think twice before settling here in the future as visa and insurance regulations are making it harder to make ends meet.

Nothing has changed re my annual "retirement visa" renewal in over a decade...I don't think there has been any substantial change in getting a Non-Imm "O' visa to get the process started. Have I missed something?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Robin said:

The present government is doing all it can to keep tourists away.  One of the few things it has succeeded at.

The Thai 'Elite' have never liked hordes of 'dirty, rude farangs' swarming over their temples and palaces, taking their women, etc..  Covid has given them and their puppet government an excuse to keep all these Faragns away, and they will not give that up.

Look to Vietnam for beaches, Philippines for girls', Indonesia for both, and Thailand's future looks grim.  Plenty of unemployed men for the army, and women for cheap servants for the rich.  It might be what they want.

That's one way of looking at it. I can't say it's wrong.

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

On top of the well-discussed quarantine hurdles, you can now add the rising Baht as a dealbreaker. The higher Baht crimps spending, hurts exports, and should force foreigners to look elsewhere.

6 months ago it was (midrate) 37 to £1. Now (midrate) it's around 44 to £1.

Isn't that better for uk tourists?

Sorry, a year ago, not 6 months.

Edited by overherebc

2 hours ago, Robin said:

The present government is doing all it can to keep tourists away.  One of the few things it has succeeded at.

The Thai 'Elite' have never liked hordes of 'dirty, rude farangs' swarming over their temples and palaces, taking their women, etc..  Covid has given them and their puppet government an excuse to keep all these Faragns away, and they will not give that up.

Look to Vietnam for beaches, Philippines for girls', Indonesia for both, and Thailand's future looks grim.  Plenty of unemployed men for the army, and women for cheap servants for the rich.  It might be what they want.

You got it right cos even pre-covid there were mutterings of getting rid of the tacky part of tourism and in turn upgrading Thailand's reputation . It would seem that the plan is for the tacky part to be shoved out of town to Phuket . Pattaya to be flattened/ rebuilt to a 4 or 5 star resort that attracts high end tourists . Lets not forget that China has a big influence on doings in Thailand .

• Like 1

S

8 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Western tourists will never go off visiting Thailand. In fact, quite the contrary. There are many reasons…

Simple, transparent, user-friendly visa procedures.

Supportive, welcoming, 'jai dee' government.

Uniform and fair application of common sense rules and regulations.

Reasonable prices for all tourist services.

Honesty and integrity of tourist-related businesses.

Unspoiled natural attractions.

Incorruptible security and world-class public safety.

Yes…without question…untold multitudes of well-heeled, free-spending, quality farangs will be soon be arriving...to much TAT fanfare.

Funniest thing i've read in a long time. Its so .accurate

1 hour ago, Joules said:

Forget the pandemic for a minute.  Ever since the last coup, those "in charge" of Thailand have taken a decidedly xenophobic turn.  the truth is, the decline really got under way with the coup against Thaksin Shinawatra in 2006 and has been going downhill ever since.  Structurally, it is a decidedly less friendly place than it used to be.   Individual Thai people are still friendly, but even many of them have been poisoned by the anti-foreigner rhetoric, including repeated government proclamations that only "rich tourists" are wanted.  Many Thais do not want tourism resumed.  They are enthralled by the idea that Thailand is for Thai people and they can travel freely (and cheaply) without competition from throngs of foreigners.

It is far bigger than covid.

Is that so? Is there no thought for the thousands of Thais who depended on tourism for their livelihood, and are now out of work?

• Like 2