Thailand to relax rules for international arrivals from March 1 despite COVID surge

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I remember wheh there were changes last time, the government said they would instruct hotels to issue refunds.  Despite saying I wouldn't contact my hotel yet - I did.  They told me "it hasn't been officially announced yet. You have to wait for the official notification first. Test & Go packages cannot be refunded".

Great, seems like a fight is coming and I think I know the likley outcome.  My Day 5 was 2900.  They will probably issue a refund but the Antigen test kit, I presume they will be handing out will no doubt suddenly cost 2900.

atk are free.

If you have payed for 1&5 days in one package you got some discount for day 1 (around 100-200b).

So you will get 2700-2800b refund.

9 minutes ago, internationalism said:

atk are free.

If you have payed for 1&5 days in one package you got some discount for day 1 (around 100-200b).

So you will get 2700-2800b refund.

As I say, the hotel say not. I won't accept that but I'm expecting a fight.  I also thing you mean Day 5? I will still be staying for Day 1.

no, if you payed package for both days, you do have some discount for day 1 and day 2.

If you have bought them separately it will cost some 100b more for each.

Take easy, you are thai homeowner, millionaire, travelling across country by taxis.

It's just not worth heart attack.

Why trigger easy, if you have written: "I believe it still has to be in the Royal Gazette". And than attacking hotel for their stance

Edited by internationalism

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

As I say, the hotel say not. I won't accept that but I'm expecting a fight.  I also thing you mean Day 5? I will still be staying for Day 1.

Mr Barrow has mentioned if you have pass already rules  are un changed.New rule pass can only be applied for after Mar 1st. See FB.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhuketDok said:

I just found the answer to my own question. The 5th day stay is no longer required according to Thaiger News article (see excerpt below).

Hotel reservations will only be required for the 1st day as travellers wait for the results of their PCR test. Travellers won’t need to book for a second hotel night on the 5th day after their arrival. 

Which begs the question why even require the test in the first place. If a tourist tests positive, are they to self report somewhere for quarantine isolation? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Mr Barrow has mentioned if you have pass already rules  are un changed.New rule pass can only be applied for after Mar 1st. See FB.

Thanks for that, I was just applying for my pass right now - I'll leave it.

On that subject, has anyone had this problem.  I entered the date of 25 May 2021 as the date of my second vaccine but when I looked at what I'd entered, it said 25 April 2021.  Thinking I'd made a mistake, I tried to change it but it wouldn't let me. No matter how many times I entered the correct date, it stayed at April (04).  I tried highlighting the date and deleting - that actually deleted it but it also deleted all my vaccine details, including the first dose.

So start again but when I tried entering the date of my second dose it automatically went to April again.

I'm guessing this is a cookie/memory problem and I might have to clear my cache??

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

20,000 USD insurance? That should be reduced to 10,000 USD.

Is this the same insurance that was formerly known as the "$100,000 Covid insurance", which was necessary for the "Thailand-Pass"?
Or is this another, additional/different insurance that must be purchased in Thailand (or before departure)?

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChC1 said:

2 tests more than what I am willing to do. Sorry but no. Maldives here I come.

To be fair its only going to be around £100 more for the 2 extra tests........................Food + Hotel price in Maldives vs Thailand -  will come to Thousands of £££ more. Hardly any entertainment in Maldives also. Also Good luck getting a massage or renting a motorbike in the maldives £5 an hour/£5 a day, going to be more like £100 an hour, and the £100 a day for a motorbike

1 hour ago, Turkleton said:

Is this the same insurance that was formerly known as the "$100,000 Covid insurance", which was necessary for the "Thailand-Pass"?
Or is this another, additional/different insurance that must be purchased in Thailand (or before departure)?

This is the same insurance of 50,000 USD coverage.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed.... 

But...  What of the ‘arrival’ who tests ATK positive at the airport ?

Would they be forced into a Government isolation facility?

Would they be permitted to travel to their original destination but forced to isolate there?

Would they be forced to pay for an ASQ ? how many days ?

Would ‘we’ be allowed to isolate a home ? (for those of us who live here)

And... what about transport from the Airpot if we test positive?  we can’t take a regular taxi etc. 

As soon as any measures are put in place there is a whole knock on effect of issues and consequences. 

Realistically - the pre-flight PCR tests take care of the vast majority of potential positive cases - surely thats enough given that covid is already rife within Thailand. 

There was a news article by Anutin (can't remember which one because I read so many) that those who tested positive must be quarantine at a private or state hospital. The Covid insurance required (for Thailand Pass) will cover the costs partially or fully (not sure).

Tourists must be treated at a hospital. There is no home or hotel quarantine because nobody will monitor/treat you at a hotel or home.

Edited by EricTh

Just got my Thailand Pass with Day 1 and Day 5 RT PCR checks, does that mean I will have to do it again after March 1st? or do I still meet requirements? or do I just just cancel the Day 5 RT PCR and Hotel stay?

Edited by Gjk7777

6 minutes ago, Gjk7777 said:

Just got my Thailand Pass with Day 1 and Day 5 RT PCR checks, does that mean I will have to do it again after March 1st? or do I still meet requirements? or do I just just cancel the Day 5 RT PCR and Hotel stay?

Just read above posts, I am just going to cancel the Day 5, I booked a refundable hotel. I do remember getting a Lateral Flow test given to me free of charge by the lovely Thai nurse when she did the Day 1 RT PCR last November, she said "check yourself on day 7", didn't tell me what to do if I was positive though!

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Which begs the question why even require the test in the first place. If a tourist tests positive, are they to self report somewhere for quarantine isolation? 

When it was an ATK test previously on day 5, nobody knew what to do with the test. Some hotels didnt' want to hear about it, others said send a picture of the test. Far from ironclad proof that you are Covid-free. I think this is just a face-saver or window dressing to make it look like they are not being soft on Farang.

I read of at least one oppostion politician attacking the Prayut government for being too lax with foreign visitors. Wow, somebody even more xenophobic than the current lot. However, that person has nothing to lose for saying stuff like that because they are not responsible for the effects of tighter Covid restrictions. Just raising a rabble with heavy Thai nationalists.

How will this unsupervised self administered test and reporting work? Heard this used to be in place previously.

What is stopping someone from buying the test and if they don't want to report being positive and being locked up after they take it, just have someone else take it and report those results? Seems like more of an honor system. Good luck with that!

Edited by tjb30i
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, tjb30i said:

How will this unsupervised self administered test and reporting work? Heard this used to be in place previously.

What is stopping someone from buying the test and if they don't want to report being positive and being locked up after they take it, just have someone else take it and report those results? Seems like more of an honor system. Good luck with that!

I am guessing it would need to be a supervised test for the reasons you gave, but I could be wrong.  I think there are apps where they can monitor you doing the test remotely.

• Haha 1