Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

U.S. Intelligence Is Helping Ukraine Kill Russian Generals, Officials Say

WASHINGTON — The United States has provided intelligence about Russian units that has allowed Ukrainians to target and kill many of the Russian generals who have died in action in the Ukraine war, according to senior American officials.

Ukrainian officials said they have killed approximately 12 generals on the front lines, a number that has astonished military analysts.

The targeting help is part of a classified effort by the Biden administration to provide real-time battlefield intelligence to Ukraine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/04/us/politics/russia-generals-killed-ukraine.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coolcarer said:

This was 2 days after the start of the invasion. After all that has transpired I have a genuine question for you and what I consider to be a very simple one.

Have you changed your mind yet?

Looking at it from a history point of view and way Russia has been treated no the west is to blame IMHO.

I just hope the war will stop before there is a possible greater escalation.

• Sad 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Russia was welcomed into the global community, and as a part of Europe, with open arms when the wall came down.  The West pumped money into its economy - much of which was swiped by the oligarchs (who also bled the reserves left by the old USSR dry as well), and foreign businesses entered the country, raising the standard of living and services for the average Russian.  Then a dictatorial, despotic figure by the name of Putin changed the presidential laws, grabbing more power for himself than the new Russian constitution allowed, poisoned and / or imprisoned his opposition, built up private armies, a mafia and shady business networks, and hijacked the country.  Like most of his ilk, he suffered a deep fear of the outside, especially countries with more power than he, and became increasingly neurotic in an attempt to protect his criminal princedom.  To blame the West for his anger and hatred is rather like blaming your happy, healthy neighbours for your own self inflicted misery and illness. 

A better analogy of Russia's current situation would be the owner of a large farm, forced to free the slaves he had working for him, seeing those former slaves setting up and running their own farms next to his and, bitter at them and those who told him to set them free, continually making threats against them, while regularly sending his thugs onto their farms to sabotage their equipment, move fence lines and foment trouble amongst their workers.  When the former slaves appeal to the outside for help, the farmer uses this as an excuse to ramp up his campaign of harassment into one of terror, all the while blaming the outsiders for aiding those he has been brutalising all those years.  His end goal is to seize the farms, round up his former slaves and put them back to working for him under the supervision of his sadistic cronies.

It's good but it is Off Topic. :offtopic:

Edited by Chris.B
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

It is not off-topic.

But, tempers seem to be flaring and I suggest everyone take a few deep breaths and calm down.

You are nto going to convince each other, so just agree to disagree and move on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is not off-topic.

But, tempers seem to be flaring and I suggest everyone take a few deep breaths and calm down.

You are nto going to convince each other, so just agree to disagree and move on.

This thread is about the military conflict in Ukraine. It is not about the history of Putin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Russia was welcomed into the global community, and as a part of Europe, with open arms when the wall came down.  The West pumped money into its economy - much of which was swiped by the oligarchs (who also bled the reserves left by the old USSR dry as well), and foreign businesses entered the country, raising the standard of living and services for the average Russian.  Then a dictatorial, despotic figure by the name of Putin changed the presidential laws, grabbing more power for himself than the new Russian constitution allowed, poisoned and / or imprisoned his opposition, built up private armies, a mafia and shady business networks, and hijacked the country.  Like most of his ilk, he suffered a deep fear of the outside, especially countries with more power than he, and became increasingly neurotic in an attempt to protect his criminal princedom.  To blame the West for his anger and hatred is rather like blaming your happy, healthy neighbours for your own self inflicted misery and illness. 

A better analogy of Russia's current situation would be the owner of a large farm, forced to free the slaves he had working for him, seeing those former slaves setting up and running their own farms next to his and, bitter at them and those who told him to set them free, continually making threats against them, while regularly sending his thugs onto their farms to sabotage their equipment, move fence lines and foment trouble amongst their workers.  When the former slaves appeal to the outside for help, the farmer uses this as an excuse to ramp up his campaign of harassment into one of terror, all the while blaming the outsiders for aiding those he has been brutalising all those years.  His end goal is to seize the farms, round up his former slaves and put them back to working for him under the supervision of his sadistic cronies.

So the problem is Putin I agree. 

The people that were dealing with someone like him didn't do a very good job. 

1 hour ago, coolcarer said:

You’ve just taken a script straight from Putins playbook to try and justify why Ukraine is part of Russia and which happens to be totally false. You should read up on it, it goes goes back to Viking times and Putin’s unhinged vision of unity. 
https://www.newyorker.com/news/essay/the-war-in-ukraine-is-a-colonial-war

However the question was not about the historical aspect, it was your statement that you have not taken sides and don’t judge. You just did judge in your reply to me. A judgement that it is the wests fault.

There is nobody left sitting on the fence and it is clear you no longer are either. You are on the wrong side of history both written and to be written. 

This war is Putin’s war of choice and it can only stop when he is removed along with his forces from Ukraine’s sovereign soil. 

Excuses on false history will not be listened to in International criminal courts for the murders and rapes being committed by Putin’s forces.

Disagree and still want both sides to stop the war for benefits of both countries.

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Disagree and still want both sides to stop the war for benefits of both countries.

You disagree, I expected you would, as mentioned straight out of Putin’s playbook, who also wants it to stop in his Special Operation of the liberation of Ukraine, as it’s taking longer than he anticipated. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Problem is that only one side wanted this war and actually started it, so they should be held accountable for stopping it. The other side is just defending itself.

am with you but would prefer if Ukraine started to attack instead of defending.... old saying says the best defense is to attack and if Ukraine could send some missiles into Russian territory maybe Vlad would think twice, I know Ukraine send some but not enough to create doubt, more and on a regular basis so civil Russians would /may start to realize the gravity of Vlad actions and lies

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

New York Times: US intelligence helps Ukraine kill Russian generals.

Senior U.S. officials said that the U.S. has provided intelligence about Russian units that has allowed Ukrainian forces to target and kill Russian generals on the frontlines. Ukraine’s military has reportedly killed 12 Russian generals thus far, although U.S. officials declined to confirm the numbers. This assistance is part of a classified effort by the Biden administration to provide real-time battlefield intelligence to Ukraine.

please keep up the good work !

14 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

You disagree, I expected you would, as mentioned straight out of Putin’s playbook, who also wants it to stop in his Special Operation of the liberation of Ukraine, as it’s taking longer than he anticipated. 

Maybe we can agree to disagree because keep asking me about my opinion and what I believe is off topic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Even if that were true, just one Sarmat missile to destroy all of the UK: about 30 seconds to a minute later a couple dozen (hundred?) ballistic missiles with nuclear warheads would be on their way to Russia, fired from British, French and American submarines. So the Russians would have a few minutes to celebrate their ‘victory’ before being obliterated themselves. Talk about your Pyrrhic victory. Morons.

yes ... UK submarines alone can wreck Ruzzia back into the stone age

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Is Russia not currently suspended from the UNSC?

suspending members from the UN is only possible if all permanent members of the security council vote in favour. so it's not possible to suspend Ruzzia from the SC or the general assembly.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

Of course in this Globally situation everything has chance! And i feel really patriot feelings like many my countryman! About Nato talks here in Finland, what has been and going to be most important question! Im minority thinker, my personal opinion is we dont need! We have and always had enough! Man like me who feel patriotism in they heart can do what needed to defent our country! Also i dont understand why hole thing is so impostant in Sweden! They have Nato country next door and Finland between Russia! We have border whit Russian they dont have! We have always been block there! Im not say like many of think here, even i say! Smallest list of human kind is list about Swedish war heroes!

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Neither wanted a war IMHO but to discuss it is off topic.

ridiculous

Putin didn't want war, but then what happened ...

he convulsed, was controlled by an alien force, his mind froze on a single thought  ... must ... make ... war ... rrgggnnnnnn *convulses more*

it that what happened ?

or was it all a mistaken click with his mouse ? a virus that took over his computer or phone and it ordered a war from "war online" without his knowledge ?

did he make a butt-dial to Shoigu and then farted with the sound being very similar to "attack Ukraine now" ?

what's your favorite theory ?

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1