Can we still afford to shop at Thai supermarkets?

webfact

Prices have gone up markedly everywhere as well as other western countries that i'm familiar with, as for buying cheap veg fruits and meat fish products only at fresh markets at 100% Thai neighbourhood or up country...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

I would say my personal food shop has gone up around 20% in the last six months, especially if I stick to the expat-type style supermarkets.

There is a solution to that... an easy fix.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Today I bought in Europe 500 grams medium size carrots at € 0.59 or 22 bht.

@ pompchop : are carrots western food ?

True,  never eat before but eaten so many succulent carrots like now in Thailand

2 hours ago, MrNatural said:

It is not just a question of import/not import. My experience is that prices vary for everything in thailand. You can find a decent iced americano for 40-45B but most fancy shop will sell around 100 or more the same thai coffee. Also went to Esso to fill the car. They dont sell the basic B7 diesel they have at Ptt but some premium diesel 3B more expensive. So yes it takes time to look at all these things. But it is worth it. Even the happy hours and the promotions on foodpanda.

We talk about big differences in prices here

Specifically for the vegetables, even in the street there are some differences. One day Mrs Natural comes back from a day at the temple with loads of superfresh vegetables producers came to sell as there was a big party. Prices were down 30 to 50% compared to local market.

For the more rare items, I had noticed that I started to find more exotic veggies in my Makro in Bangkok. Fennel, zucchini, eggplants, jerusalem artichokes, romanesco, all at thai prices. But since the pandemic, it is not so frequent.

They still have avocados at 45B and cherries 3 times cheaper than villa market or gourmet mmall

I buy all of the fuel for my truck at Esso and I only buy diesel B7.  I am in Chiang Mai and all of the Esso stations have it.

• Like 1

Some products are expensive and attract the exorbitant import tariffs which Thailand so stupidly, and shortsightedly imposes.

The shortfall in tourists has forced vendors to up prices, strained supply chains haven't helped. Let's not think about opportunist wholesalers and international vendors jacking up their prices to retailers which flows to us as consumers.

A  bummer but that's just the way it is. I don't like paying crazy prices for good imported Aussie beef or lamb but there's little alternative (maybe become a vegetarian? ????) except Macro which sells good whole rumps, eye fillets etc.

I still remember the cost of a roast leg of lamb in Australia and while much more expensive there than it used to be, it's still a fraction of the price we pay here.

I bought $300 worth of tomahawk steaks last week at Central Food Hall in Bang Tao ... the only concession being they are delicious grass fed Aussie animals, fresh kill, fresh flown in, and delicious. But man that's twice the price in Aussie for same amount in weight.

But, we love our BBQ's every week, love a lamb roast too so I just pay for it.

Macro's good for lots of foods and the best prices we have found in LOS. 

We're lucky we grow a lot of our fruit and vegetables, have chooks on the estate area (we set up a henhouse and the maintenance staff help take care) so lots of delicious free range eggs, and have some great local fisherman connections for very fresh fish.

• Like 1

I've always bought in Thai open markets as there was no supermarket when I first landed in my corner of Isaan.

With the arrival of the 2 major chains I shop between the two sources.

I buy my farang foods to treat myself, usually online, and have them delivered as the nearest Tops is over 70kms away and the selection is limited.

• Like 2