has your life been what you wanted

ivor bigun

Quite the rave up on David Watts on their early 80's live album, One for the Road.

They were bored, soon to break up again, but that was a barnstormer for an audience who never heard It before.

The Jam's version -Did anyone ever really need The Jam?

Edited by LaosLover

David Crosby said it best, in the end, time is the final currency,

As many have said, it's not what you've done, but what you didn't,

If I'm learning anything, it's better to go out with as little regret as possible,

So I'm trying to say yes more than I say no.

(per the Yes Man movie, Jim Carrey)

• Like 1

I am happy with my life. Lots of big mistakes, lots of what if"s. But would have been that way no matter what other decisions I made in the past. There was a great movie about a dying man telling his life story. But the stories didn't make sense because they all hinged on a one decision he made when he was 8.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

No its been <deleted>

Ditto. Aside from travelling in last century and earlier fun in Thailand, I’ve come to the conclusion that the physical plane (on a societal level) is an utter shower of shiite. Boomers got a good deal but feel sorry for the young uns with the current state of affairs. At least there’s the dmt realm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cobra said:

David Crosby said it best, in the end, time is the final currency,

As many have said, it's not what you've done, but what you didn't,

If I'm learning anything, it's better to go out with as little regret as possible,

So I'm trying to say yes more than I say no.

(per the Yes Man movie, Jim Carrey)

Agree, but unfortunately my regrets can't be fixed.

However, I don't think that it's possible to not make mistakes if one doesn't risk regret.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Hey, but you admit you had a few fantastic years .........

Most of my pals in the UK had ZERO fun years, and almost ZERO sex.

Dude, you're a winner in the game of life, I doubt anyone enjoys the tail end of their life much.

I would have been a winner if I'd not have had my cancer treated and passed over in my early 60s. Unfortunately it was too young to accept death, but it's been a downward spiral since.

Don't get me wrong; I do appreciate all the great years I had, but I've had a <deleted> life since for longer that I had a great one. I might be happier if I could actually remember the good times, but old age has robbed me of my memories as well.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never really had any aims/wants/ambitions, and just drifted through life.

Sure I did the 'famous people' bit in London from age 23-45, it wasn't that exciting.

What was exciting was my 'Asian hooker' period from age 52-66 where I drifted aimlessly around Thailand/Cambodia/Philippines banging a random assortment of 30 year old females.

But even that's become dull now.

Woah dude- bored with bonking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a tragedy. You must have long time covid.

Take it from one that had a sex life destroyed by prostate cancer that you should do it just because you can.

We had similar lives apart from the long marriage and children to the wrong woman. I didn't get married early or have children, and I did escape the wrong partner even if I did have to start from scratch at 25.

I don't remember ever having a life plan ( beyond getting married and having a family ). I started as a farm hand after school, but joined up because a guy I worked with had been in the service before and it sounded more adventurous. I didn't even know what I wanted to do when I signed up, and just lucky I got offered an apprenticeship.

I decided to go to Antarctica just because I knew a guy from skiing that had been there. Never even thought about it before. Pretty much the same with every life decision I made, or perhaps didn't make but allowed to happen. I guess I just went with the flow.

The only times I ever made a decision about what to do with my life I regretted it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Hey, but you admit you had a few fantastic years .........

Most of my pals in the UK had ZERO fun years, and almost ZERO sex.

Dude, you're a winner in the game of life, I doubt anyone enjoys the tail end of their life much.

A childhood buddy of mine probably had the same sort of life as your pals in the UK. We were both just about 18, he got a job at a GM car plant and retired there 40 years later.I joined the Navy and never looked back. I got out after 6 years and it opened a lot of doors. I got to work overseas and travel the world and am now pleasantly retired here in LOS. I doubt I'd change anything if I could..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree, but unfortunately my regrets can't be fixed.

However, I don't think that it's possible to not make mistakes if one doesn't risk regret.

So as the messed up Tattoo shows you do have issues....

Screenshot_20220313-115246_Google.jpg

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

550 women by age 20? Come on

That's less than 1 per day for two years. In Thailand that is almost reasonable. ???? 

I didn't count at that time but in my first weeks in Thailand I tried my best to have at least one per day.

And truth to be told it's better that I don't remember all those details.

• Haha 1

Done most of what I wanted and many things that never occurred to me. Could have been better if I'd had some common sense and a bit more nous. Could have been worse if I hadn't been prepared to work so hard and had such a good upbringing. 

Spent 18 of the last 25 years in Thailand and DV will enjoy a good few more yet. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rott said:

Done most of what I wanted and many things that never occurred to me. Could have been better if I'd had some common sense and a bit more nous. Could have been worse if I hadn't been prepared to work so hard and had such a good upbringing. 

Spent 18 of the last 25 years in Thailand and DV will enjoy a good few more yet. 

What city